new gpsmap 62s wont show any hints

I just bought this for our trip to Colorado next week. Ive managed to load the caches I want using a PQ but none of them are showing a hint. Everything else is there. Any suggestions? I even deleted the entire cache listing and reloaded it with no different results

I just bought this for our trip to Colorado next week. Ive managed to load the caches I want using a PQ but none of them are showing a hint. Everything else is there. Any suggestions? I even deleted the entire cache listing and reloaded it with no different results

If a 62 is like an Oregon, you need to be navigating to the cache to see the hint. Pick a cache and select "go", then try to view the hint.

Maybe you can post the steps you've taken to try to view the hint. I.e. How you're trying to view the hint after you loaded the PQ.

Edited by New Jersey TJ

New Jersey TJ is correct. When you go to Find/Geocaches and select a cache, select Go. Then select Menu/View Geocache. It will display "Currently navigating to "cache name" in the black top section, and lists: Show Descriptions/Show Logs/Show Hint/Log Attempt/Enter Next Stage/Find another/Show Found.

Ive tried this. It just says under each one, no hint available. I used gsak to load these and it doesnt look like the hints transfered from here to there. Im very new to all of this and i learned I didnt need gsak after I had already loaded it. Now when I hit Download on pq, it automatically takes me there with my list of caches. Ugh. my brain is starting to hurt from all of this. To top it off, the first cache I went to today to test this gps was gone. looked like someone had cut the fishing line where it was.

Edit- im looking at a cache on my pq right now and there is a hint. I look at the same cache in gsak and it says "no hints available". Anyone heard of this happening before?

Edited by KimCaine

Ive tried this. It just says under each one, no hint available. I used gsak to load these and it doesnt look like the hints transfered from here to there. Im very new to all of this and i learned I didnt need gsak after I had already loaded it. Now when I hit Download on pq, it automatically takes me there with my list of caches. Ugh. my brain is starting to hurt from all of this. To top it off, the first cache I went to today to test this gps was gone. looked like someone had cut the fishing line where it was.

Edit- im looking at a cache on my pq right now and there is a hint. I look at the same cache in gsak and it says "no hints available". Anyone heard of this happening before?

Question.

Did you load LOC files or GPX files?

If GPX files, did you have GPX files loaded from before you were a Premium Member?

(If you have non-premium member GPX files loaded, if you then load Premium Member files the unit defaults to non-premium member...)

I remember having something missing (can't remember what) from the .gpx PQ files until I changed to downloading version 1.0.1. You can set it in your preferences on the site.

EDIT: It's the attributes which are missing if you just download 1.0 GPX.

Edited by eusty

Regarding gpx file v.1.0.1, do not use it. I had a 62s problem (as did others) with caches diappearing and Garmin tech support determined this was the cause. They stated the 62s does not support v.1.0.1 (yet). Keep to v.1.0 to avoid other troubles.

The file names have gpx next to them on my computer. I was also already a premium member when I loaded theses. As far as the version, Im am running the 1.0. in my profile. I havent gotten around to changing that yet because I honestly didnt know that was there till now haha. And yes DFX, those are the exact steps I took for loading the files. It then takes me directly to gsak which confuses me till my brain hurts lol. I think at this point as long as i can get cache locations, I will be happy. The colorado trip will still be fine without hints. Thats just something I will have to do without because I leave in less than a week. Also, I just ordered the city nav north america micro sd card. Is that gonna be a pain to use too? I would think it would be easy but you never know.

Thanks for the help everyone. Its much appreciated

Edited by KimCaine
And yes DFX, those are the exact steps I took for loading the files. It then takes me directly to gsak which confuses me till my brain hurts lol.

So you're not actually running the PQ. To run a PQ, you need to activate it for a day of the week, i.e. check the box for Sunday if you want it to run today. Then wait until it was run. If it's active for today, it should only take a few minutes to run. You'll then get an email, either with the results attached, or the PQ file downloadable from the website. This will then contain the hints and everything else.

Ok. I have hints now. Im still being directed to gsak from my email when i unzip the file. When I send it to my gps the hints are there so I guess Im gonna learn gsak whether I like to or not. Is there any way to avoid new pqs from being loaded to the same page as my other pqs on gsak? I loaded a certain route we are taking and I would like to add another but dont want it on the same page as the other. Any tips? I feel accomplished as it is though so any further help will just be a bonus lol

... Is there any way to avoid new pqs from being loaded to the same page as my other pqs on gsak? Any tips? I feel accomplished as it is though so any further help will just be a bonus lol

Well done on getting your hints! If I understand correctly, once you have loaded your cache PQ in GSAK, you can click on the Database tab at the top and do a Save As, giving it a name, such as My Caches. This will save that file (database). For your next PQ select Default in the lower Database pull down window so loading new caches will not overwrite (or appended to) the previous database. Once done loading that new PQ repeat the steps by naming this second database. On and on as many different databases as you desire.

... Is there any way to avoid new pqs from being loaded to the same page as my other pqs on gsak? Any tips? I feel accomplished as it is though so any further help will just be a bonus lol

Well done on getting your hints! If I understand correctly, once you have loaded your cache PQ in GSAK, you can click on the Database tab at the top and do a Save As, giving it a name, such as My Caches. This will save that file (database). For your next PQ select Default in the lower Database pull down window so loading new caches will not overwrite (or appended to) the previous database. Once done loading that new PQ repeat the steps by naming this second database. On and on as many different databases as you desire.

Awesome! That worked! Thanks a bunch. I think Im ready to start the fun stuff now that the headache part is over. Although Im sure more questions will eventually be asked. At least I can do what I need to do now to enjoy some cache hunting in the rockies! I cant wait.

Just in case you're not aware, you really don't need to use GSAK to load the pocket query. Just unzip the .gpx files from the zip you downloaded and copy them to the \garmin\gpx folder on the GPS.

Thanks! I have finally figured this part out. One last question. I've got the two files in my gpx folder on my gps. ----gpx and -----wpts.gpx. When I load them to my gps, it loads them as caches and also as a few waypoints in my waypoint manager. How do I know which waypoints are used for which cache? The majority of the waypoints it put in were things such as parking lots. Do I have to follow a certain waypoint that loaded before I try and find the cache or do I just skip that part and go for the cache. Sorry for my noobness.

Just in case you're not aware, you really don't need to use GSAK to load the pocket query. Just unzip the .gpx files from the zip you downloaded and copy them to the \garmin\gpx folder on the GPS.

Thanks! I have finally figured this part out. One last question. I've got the two files in my gpx folder on my gps. ----gpx and -----wpts.gpx. When I load them to my gps, it loads them as caches and also as a few waypoints in my waypoint manager. How do I know which waypoints are used for which cache? The majority of the waypoints it put in were things such as parking lots. Do I have to follow a certain waypoint that loaded before I try and find the cache or do I just skip that part and go for the cache. Sorry for my noobness.

The wpts.gpx file is for additional waypoints like parking, trailheads, etc.

As Briansnat stated, the -wpts.gpx file contains just the "child" waypoints like parking areas for the cache (as you've already figured out as well.) You really don't need to load that file if you don't want those child waypoints. Just load the other .gpx.

If you load both files, I would start navigating to the cache to get close via streets, and then use the "child" waypoints for parking, etc if you need them. They should be reasonably close to the cache so you can match them up that way. I know that the cache GC code is embedded as a description in the -wpts.gpx file, but I'm not sure how that translates to showing on the GPS because I never load the -wpts.gpx file.

If I do wind up needing the info in the child waypoints, I'll just add the location manually for that one cache.

As Briansnat stated, the -wpts.gpx file contains just the "child" waypoints like parking areas for the cache (as you've already figured out as well.) You really don't need to load that file if you don't want those child waypoints. Just load the other .gpx.

If you load both files, I would start navigating to the cache to get close via streets, and then use the "child" waypoints for parking, etc if you need them. They should be reasonably close to the cache so you can match them up that way. I know that the cache GC code is embedded as a description in the -wpts.gpx file, but I'm not sure how that translates to showing on the GPS because I never load the -wpts.gpx file.

If I do wind up needing the info in the child waypoints, I'll just add the location manually for that one cache.

Ah, I see. Thanks again. I was just checking the trail reports for where we're goin and some of them still have 1-7 feet of snow! This is gonna be a blast. Just leaving this south Texas heat for a while will be a big relief.