Leaving items; am I on the right track?

a12mickey

Hi everyone,

I'm going on my first geocaching experience in a few weeks and am currently rounding up some items to leave in the caches I find. Since I'm on a budget, I'm looking for things around my house I'm not using anymore to leave for someone else to enjoy. I don't really know what's found in the caches typically; can someone let me know if I'm on the right track towards picking things people would want to find?? This is what I have found so far (but I just started):

- some Archie comics

- sets of stickers (normal and glow-in-the-dark)

- jewelery

- pencil crayons

- set of coasters

- shoe shiner

- old coins

Like I said, I have more searching to do but are my choices ones that others would like to find and take?? Any suggestions or reassurance would be wonderful!! Thanks in advance :)

The comics are going to fit only in larger containers, and are likely to be ruined if there is any moisture in the container (either because it leaks, or because someone opened it in the rain). It would help to put them in a waterproof plastic bag to protect them.

The stickers could use a bag to protect them too. Small plastic bags are available at craft stores, in the beading section.

Hopefully, the jewelry is inexpensive costume jewelry. It is likely to be treated as such even if it isn't.

The pencil crayons and old coins sound interesting. If the old coins are especially noteworthy, then you could put them in a plastic bag with a note explaining what they are. But people won't expect them to be very valuable.

The cache page gives an indication of the size of the container. That usually helps me in figuring out what to bring with me.

Crayons may not be a good idea, depending on where you are. I am here in Georgia and we are hitting the mid 90's right now. I have seen some well intentioned trades melt under the heat.

Just some advice on things NOT to leave:

Don't leave any food items or weapon items. (You already knew that, right? :) )

Don't leave anything that is a liquid, gel or lotion. Those can leak and make a mess in a cache.

Don't leave anything that has a strong scent. Those can attract animals, even if it isn't a food item.

If it's an area that gets hot, don't leave anything that might melt (candles, crayons, etc.).

Think about how an item might fare if is left in the cache for a year or two. Will it be ruined if it gets wet? Will it be affected by very hot or very cold temperatures?

We mostly trade for kid items. I like to carry a variety of stuff in different sizes and price values so I always have something to trade if my kids are along. Just have fun with it! As long as you are making an effort to trade up or even, you are doing fine.

It seems to depend a bit what country you're in too - I'm in the UK and the average item seems to be cheaper than the stuff my relatives are finding in caches in the USA where they live.

If I'm on my own I rarely swap, but when I'm with my daughter, she always wants to. So I take children's items along as it's almost guaranteed that's what she'll take. e.g. small model animals, rubber balls, little toys that you'd get in reasonable quality Christmas crackers (i.e. not the tiny, misshapen plastic things you get in cheap ones!), fancy marbles, pretty erasers etc. You don't want to leave stuff that will wreck if it gets frozen/very hot/damp etc - depending on the climate of the place you live, as some items can stay in a cache for quite a while.

I also generally leave a pencil if there's not one in the cache. This isn't as a swap, but just a favour to future cachers who may not have one with them.

The little "hot wheels" cars are popular in some places. I buy them at flea markets and yard sales. I just bought 10 of them for $2.00, sometimes you can get them even less. Foreign coins are good and don't really cost much, most of them anyway and kids really like them.

Why a few weeks? Why not start this weekend? :)

lol i think to prepare on a cache and look around at this forum and think what to do on the first cache just like i do ;)

I am a little bit scared to start hunting for a cache.

But this topic helps me, i know more what to bring now when i go hunting.

Greetings :)

I was nervous at first too, about what I should & should not leave. I even left a couple of things that I thought about later & was embarrassed that I did. (Bubbles, which freeze, & a key chain that wasn't necessarily child friendly) but I just hope that the cachers who find them (or have found them) take them with a grain of salt. (& get them out of those caches! ;) )I was a newbie with good intentions, & I won't be doing it again. It's a learning experience. You just have to get out there & learn it hands-on. The forums have helped us out a good deal as well, so you're smart to start here. Good luck, & happy caching!

*edited to add* we still very much consider ourselves noobs.

Edited by RhinoInAToga

These answers are very helpful. I can't start this weekend because I don't have my GPS yet; it's a gift for my husband for Father's Day. :) I found a lot more things and I think they're pretty good (note pads, magnets, temp tattoos in plastic of course, wall decals, etc.) I think we'll have a blast!!

These answers are very helpful. I can't start this weekend because I don't have my GPS yet; it's a gift for my husband for Father's Day. :)

Is that 'It hasn't arrived yet...' Or 'It's going to be a gift for Fathers Day...'

If the later, and you have it now... It does need to be checked, to make sure it works! B)

Great idea to give that for fathers day.

And it sounds great what you had found to place in the cache.

I have some things here also, but it is not a problem i hope when it is not only for kids?

Greetings yoteun

It's usually not an issue as long as it's safe for a child to handle. The key chain I placed in a cache had somewhat of a dirty joke on it. I wouldn't want my kid to pick it up..even though the joke was vague enough for amall children not to understand. I should have thought about that before placing it. Just something I learned along the way.

ok. But you learned from it ;)

Do you need to log it somewhere when i you leave a goodie in the cahe?

Most cache owners appreciate it if you include it, along with a story about anything interesting that happened, in your online log. Also, if the log book in the cache is a big one you can include it there. I usually write it out as T: (whatever we took) L: (whatever we left) & then include the story if there was one, & thank them for the cache, but your style is completely up to you.

ok. But you learned from it ;)

Do you need to log it somewhere when i you leave a goodie in the cahe?

If someone has mentioned leaving something specific, I may mention if I take it.

Often I log took something/left something but don't say what.

Other times I will leave items but not mention it. (If it's a good cache, and a little short of swaps, it's nice to leave some things for the next finders!)

But, you don't have to mention it.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

We have picked up and dropped books before. As long as they are in their own zip lock they travel well.

I cache with a 7 year old and I can tell you the favorite is kids meal toys from any fast food place. Kids prefer anything with a character they recognize. Another good source for cache toys is the dollar store and wally world.

Some toys stay in caches for a long time so durability is a factor. I only place items if I think they would survive being left at the beach for a week. If not there is no way they would survive a cache.

Unfortunately, I don't have it yet but I will be checking it as soon as I get it!! It's a car GPS unit but I think it'll work just fine.

Yeah, a lot of new beginners assume that.

They will work, but they actually work far better if you are an experienced cacher. Many start with one, find out that isn't what it is designed for, then are P-O'ed to find there are better choices.

Just so you know. Reiterating, in-car units work (for the most part) but not nearly as well as one designed for the task.

I think the really important part of this is to establish really good caching habits. Don't let yourself simply take or leave things because you "should". Much of the time caches turn into junk drawers. So, the idea of collecting things from around the house is great, so long as they have some value and aren't just trash you are trying to get rid of. Trade equal, or better, or don't trade at all. You can even leave things without taking them, so long as you're not leaving trash.

Especially as a new cacher, I'd encourage you to just find a few before even worrying about trades. By the time you get the hang of it, you can just have a swag bag filled with nicer things and only trade when you see that it is equal or better. Anyone can trade a McToy for a McToy from one cache to another. Raising the game back to a grand standard starts with each of us!