Virtual TB and TC visits

ishoot

Hi all, I have about 10 TB's and TC's that I lug around all the caches I visit so that I can log them as having visited.

I have noticed that some cachers visit a cache and log a lot of TB's and TC's that they did not have with them at the time ( as evidenced by their logs ).

I was wondering if I should just leave my coins and bugs at home and log them as having been with me?

I also have a car TB sticker and the dogtag for it, when I go caching I always carry the dogtag so I can log the visit or is this just as bad as a virtual visit?

Any thoughts or comments welcomed.

Cheers ishoot

Virtual logging can get a traveler permanently locked down for abusing the system. Trust me.

Even when it's under the radar it is still not within the spirit of geocaching.

As for your car tb, Taking the tag is perfectly fine. I have a personal TB tag on my keyring that goes with me to every cache,

Edited by BlueDeuce

If its your own coin, if you want to have it virtually with you even though its in your desk, who cares? You are not going to be frisked. They are your coins in your possession, how you want to virtually log miles is up to you. The problem lies in some folks taking them to caches they have not been to.

If its someone else's coin, personally I think its silly and kinda annoying to "visit" every cache they go to. Sure if you go to a cool one, visit, but to go to every cache the current possessor takes to, I just find that clutters up the pages on my coins or TBs. Do that stuff with your trackables is my opinion.

I've recently started to log a small handful of GC/TBs at caches I go to; basically one for me, one for the geobeast and one for the geotransporter...I like seeing how many miles we each get up to. I also log a few TBs of other people that I'm carrying around, only into nice caches and I do this to get them a few more interesting miles, before I drop it off where i'm aiming for - some I'm carrying have specific goals which I can help with, but maybe not straight away, so they come on trips in the geo-bag until I can drop them off!

As I read in someones log recently; "everyone plays the game their own way" :anibad:

That's right, who in the heck cares if the traveler didn't actually make the journey? It's not like it matters. Besides who's gonna know and if they did it's none of their business.

What I can't understand is why anybody would bother logging them through in the first place. The mileage ain't worth much. You can't brag about how many caches your tb went to because seriously, nobody cares.

Add on top the fact the thing didn't even make the trip...by all means, make the extra effort to do the logging because apparently you're getting something out of it.

Maybe it's playing the game your own way. woohoo.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Personally, I PREFER that those who carry my travelers, bring them to caches and log them as visited. This tells me that the traveler is still active and on the geocacher's mind.

When one of my travelers hasn't been logged for many weeks, while the geocacher holding it is visiting lots of caches, even large ones, I start worrying that the traveler has been left in a bag or drawer and forgotten. Sometimes it IS forgotten, other times the holder is just waiting for the right occation to drop it off.

I accept that some people feel that "visited" logs clutter the trackable page. That's one reason why all my trackable pages have a sentence that encourages the cacher to log as visited.

The biggest faux pas of virtual logging, and the one that can get your TB locked, is allowing people to log it, who have never seen it. Don't allow those logs, and your TB is safe. Try to keep people from posting your Tracking number in public places, and from putting your tracking numbers on a paper list to hand out at events. That's just wrong, unless they carry the entire collection around with them, let people look through it, and hand them the list. That you can do. But just to pass out tracking numbers, and they never see the trackable? That's wrong.