Need help with pocket queries

I did my first pocket query recently, but have been struggling all afternoon to send it to my gps. When I preview the query I can send the caches one at a time to my gps but not several at once. At the bottom of the page is a button that says "Download Waypoints". That doesn't download them to my gps??? It wants to send them to me in a loc file. I checked out the "Read about waypoint downloads" and it lists all these programs I can use. I don't want to install more programs and make this super complicated. I checked out a couple of the programs and it wants the download in a gpx file. Even if I choose gpx when I create a pocket query when I click "Download Waypoints" it wants to send them in a loc. What am I doing wrong? It seems that every avenue I choose doesn't work.

-download the .gpx file into your computer

-unzip the .gpx file

-plug in your gps into the computer

-drag and drop the unzipped .gpx file into the .gpx folder on your GPS

just occurred to me...did you actually choose a day for the PQ to run or you just want to do it from the preview, which is what it sounds like?

you don't need to read about downloading waypoints, you need to read about PQ

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=search&q=pocket&area=kb&submit=Search

Edited by t4e

When I preview the query I can send the caches one at a time to my gps but not several at once

That's your problem right there. Once the PQ is setup (and you've previewed it to make sure it grabbed caches), you then need to tell it to run (you'll see the option in the PQ options). You'll have to wait for it to run and then a GPX file with all the caches will be available to download. None of this is in the "preview query" area.

I am using a Delorme Earthmate PN-60. I actually did open and unzip the pocked query file that was sent to me also. But, then what do I do with it? It unzipped into two files, one that says file.gpx and one that says file-wpts.gpx. I downloaded two of the programs from the website. One called Watcher and one called GSAK. I was able to open the file with GSAK but not with Watcher. I have no idea how to send the file to my GPS with GSAK... I was just hoping to do this from the geocaching website and not have to learn some new program. GSAK seems pretty involved and complicated.

I am using a Delorme Earthmate PN-60. I actually did open and unzip the pocked query file that was sent to me also. But, then what do I do with it? It unzipped into two files, one that says file.gpx and one that says file-wpts.gpx. I downloaded two of the programs from the website. One called Watcher and one called GSAK. I was able to open the file with GSAK but not with Watcher. I have no idea how to send the file to my GPS with GSAK... I was just hoping to do this from the geocaching website and not have to learn some new program. GSAK seems pretty involved and complicated.

That unit requires some external software to load the PQ file(s). I suggest the Cache Register software from the Delorme website.

One file contains the cache(s) and details - the other has additional waypoints including parking etc.

With the Delorme, you can load the file in a couple of ways. You can use GSAK but it is easier to use the DeLorme Cache Register or the Topo program that probably came with your unit. You may want to visit the DeLorme forums which are very active and helpful. If you want to use GSAK you need to be sure you do not have either the Cache Register or Topo running. Then go to the GPS tab and select Delorme 60. Using the default options is easiest.