If I do not ENABLE a new cache page

The coordinates of an unactivated listing will act as a "reserved" spot. If someone else tries to list a cache within its range, it will be put on hold and the reviewer will get in contact with you.

Thanks. That it what I was hoping.

It will not tell me yet if someone else has a reserved spot next to it though, right? For that I suppose the Reviewer must actually look?

It will not tell me yet if someone else has a reserved spot next to it though, right? For that I suppose the Reviewer must actually look?

Yeah, the check for proximity will only be performed when a cache is reviewed for publication. Then it will be checked against already published caches and also other inactive listings.

A reviewer will have to correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the reviewers can see the location on their proximity maps. They just won't be alerted via the reviewer Que.

If you are worried about someone encroaching while you work out your cache contact your reviewer. They will work with you.

That is exactly what I am worried about.

So it would be ok to make a cache page, not activate it, then email the reviewer with the cache ID and ask them to make a proximity check?

I think the 528 foot area is reserved for you until someone else tries to publish a cache within that area and the reviewer has to notify the person(s) that have not enabled but have a cache interest in the same area. I had one that I had finished the page and had the location entered. I was researching the property owner for almost a month and was notified that another person wanted to enable a cache that was within the area of mine. He asked if I was going to enable the cache soon or could the other person go ahead and enable, it was my choice. Luckily I was within a day of getting placement permission and had to claim the area. The reviewer notified the other person and he happened to be a friend and we found a better location nearby for the first stage of his multi.

Basically, the answer is it yours until someone else is interested and then you have a limited time to place and enable.

A reviewer will have to correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the reviewers can see the location on their proximity maps. They just won't be alerted via the reviewer Que.

If you are worried about someone encroaching while you work out your cache contact your reviewer. They will work with you.

That is exactly what I am worried about.

So it would be ok to make a cache page, not activate it, then email the reviewer with the cache ID and ask them to make a proximity check?

Yes. That is acceptable. When it doubt ask your reviewer. As I understand it they would rather head of problems before they happen.

I had good intentions of hiding a new cache several years ago and even visited the spot while scouting out a new location. Worked up a page and just waited to get back out there with the container. It not even that far from where I am most days. For some odd reason, I've never got back to it and the not enabled page continues to sit there. Its got a 4 digit GC code even - the "hidden on" date will seem out-of-whack when I get it going.

Thanks all, I just sent him a note with the listings.

And it took him less than six minutes to look at my listings, check the proximity and respond.

He is a good guy.

Thanks for the help folks.

Wait, that's not possible! According to what I've read in the forum, it should take days, if not weeks, to get a response from a reviewer. And when he does respond, he should be completely un-helpful. According to many of the posts in this forum, the reviewers are just looking for any nit-picking reason to keep from publishing your listing.

And you come in here to tell us you got a helpful reply in less than six minutes? Go on, pull the other one!

The one point not already mentioned is that lower GC numbers have priority. At least that's what the reviewer notes have said when I've been involved in a similar situation: something like "someone else has submitted a cache within 528' of your unpublished cache, and yours has a lower GC#, are you making active progress toward publishing yours?". (I wasn't, and relinquished the space, and apologized to my friend who had actually place a cache and had been delayed by my unpublished one.)

Because of this possible delay, it's advised that if you set up a cache and decide not to place it, that you move the coordinates to some location where it won't conflict with other caches, like out in the ocean or into a US national park. OTOH, if you want to force the reviewer to look at your cache before publishing a nearby one, you might leave it where it is. I've done that with one where the reviewer said it was too close to an electrical substation, so I left the unpublished listing as a check against someone trying to sneak one in.

Edward