Death of Geocaching?

You should remember that there are still plenty of places to hide caches even when an agency decides to remove permission. There are even plenty of guardrails in the Commonwealth (I almost said State) of Virginia that are not VDOT guardrails where you can still hide a cache.

VDOT did not revoke permission, they never granted it in the first place. When has any agency ever given permission to hide a cache in a guardrail?

Fundamental Placement Guidelines

• All local laws apply.
  • You assure us that you have the landowner's and/or land manager's permission before you hide any geocache, whether placed on private or public property.

Not that anyone cares.

You know what is really going to be the death of geocaching is the new ultra-nano. Anybody seen these puppies yet?

This is the bigger of the two new sizes:

4476ba67-524d-4ae6-b36f-b77b2d0a20a6.jpg

And then there are these truly evil guys:

1a46cc64-8039-49ae-9f2f-d40844a5d665.jpg

I used one of those smallest ones to build this cache (which will probably end up in the CCC thread):

ced529c6-ccdc-4d03-8ab9-b6e82af0e32f.jpg

The popularity of geocaching seems to be growing all over the world. I just had a visit from my cousin. He is from France. After I showed him how many caches were hidden near his home he wanted to know more. We did a couple of caches here so he could see what it was like. The more people are introduced, the more cachers there will be. If some areas become closed or too costly so be it. As for tiny containers, if you don't like them put them on your ignore list. There are caches we won't do. If tree climbing is involved we ignore them. The great thing about caching is there is something for everyone. Do some ignore the rules? Yes. But rest assured someone will turn them in. With all the new caches published everyday, some will get published that shouldn't. Overall the reviewers do a great job. I know I wouldn't want the responsibility. I think caching will be around long after I'm gone.

Hopefully they will get their own size designation and we will be able to filter them.

All the more important that Nano size gets implemented (we've been told it is Planned).

Forget how much of a PITA it would be to find some of these: I have enough trouble removing and especially replacing logs in a regular nano blinkie. I wouldn't even try with a smaller blinkie.

That said, a fake fly is pretty darned neat if a legit container and not just Photoshop. :laughing:

The popularity of geocaching seems to be growing all over the world.

The more people are introduced, the more cachers there will be.

I disagree. Only a very small percentage of folks that find a cache or even a couple dozen caches become actual active cachers. The percentage of cachers who continue on the long term are an even smaller minority.... Ummm, from my observations over the last 8 years. :unsure:

I think caching will be around long after I'm gone.

Agreed. As long as gps technology exists, or something akin to it, there will be geocaching.

It has existed even longer as letterboxing and into the mists of prehistory as a means of survival and to aid travelers.

K guys...think we are getting off topic now. Let's get back on track...

So, geocaches are like people. more caches are published everyday than archived. More humans are born everyday than go up.

Geocaching has been up and about for more than a decade now. It's a pretty fun hobby, or as I should say sport. It takes some physical activity as we know...

However I don't think geocaching is coming to an end. It ends at that....for me...