My thoughts after a week

Greg_L

The thing that really bugs me about premium memberships is that without one you can't use BASIC search filters

Without paying, you have access to exactly as many search features as you had before this site was created.

Greg_L, you neglected to comment on this part of my post. Since you say that you should be entititled to have the ability to do more complex searches without paying for it, I think this is a fair point to ask. How do you answer that?

I think this is cheesy because the features were obviously disabled to basic members in the quest to sell more premium memberships.

Are you saying that there were more search features available before Groundspeak created the geocaching website? What exactly was disabled, and how? I think you need to do a little more research into the history of geocaching before you make that sort of claim.

The feature is enabled for premium members and is therefore disabled for basic members. Weather or not it was available to basic members in the first place is irrelevant. 1010 I am confused as to why I am able to use premium features (things I would expect to pay for), things like mouse click uploads of coordinates for free and not something as basic as filters. Unless of course Garmin, DeLorme, and Magellan provided all of the development for this for Groundspeak for free then it makes perfect sense.

The send to GPS functionality is provided by the GPS manufacturers. Look at the feature set this way. When you go to buy a car you get four wheels on the ground and another one to steer with. You may or may not get a radio. The radio might cost extra and if you want satellite radio you pay even more. If you don't like that small 4 cylinder engine that comes standard then you pay more for the high powered V8. Your satellite radio is not disabled, it simply isn't there. Same thing here. If you want filters and pocket queries you pay the option price, otherwise it isn't there. Why is that hard to understand? Of course if you expect everything for free I can understand why you have a problem with this concept. You probably also have a hard time when you buy a car.

The thing that really bugs me about premium memberships is that without one you can't use BASIC search filters

Without paying, you have access to exactly as many search features as you had before this site was created.

Greg_L, you neglected to comment on this part of my post. Since you say that you should be entititled to have the ability to do more complex searches without paying for it, I think this is a fair point to ask. How do you answer that?

I think this is cheesy because the features were obviously disabled to basic members in the quest to sell more premium memberships.

Are you saying that there were more search features available before Groundspeak created the geocaching website? What exactly was disabled, and how? I think you need to do a little more research into the history of geocaching before you make that sort of claim.

The feature is enabled for premium members and is therefore disabled for basic members. Weather or not it was available to basic members in the first place is irrelevant. 1010 I am confused as to why I am able to use premium features (things I would expect to pay for), things like mouse click uploads of coordinates for free and not something as basic as filters. Unless of course Garmin, DeLorme, and Magellan provided all of the development for this for Groundspeak for free then it makes perfect sense.

The send to GPS functionality is provided by the GPS manufacturers. Look at the feature set this way. When you go to buy a car you get four wheels on the ground and another one to steer with. You may or may not get a radio. The radio might cost extra and if you want satellite radio you pay even more. If you don't like that small 4 cylinder engine that comes standard then you pay more for the high powered V8. Your satellite radio is not disabled, it simply isn't there. Same thing here. If you want filters and pocket queries you pay the option price, otherwise it isn't there. Why is that hard to understand? Of course if you expect everything for free I can understand why you have a problem with this concept. You probably also have a hard time when you buy a car.

actually a car example I thought of was, you get the car at a reasonable price but if you want wiper blades and turn signals, you have to pay more. Also both xm and sirius come in many vehicles from the factory, once the initial trial subscription is over, the feature is disabled, leaving only two or three preview channels constantly there to remind you that you could subscribe to their service. In fact the best example out of this, now that I think of it is Groundspeak compared to a car salesman. Yes the least trustworthy of all beings. I would trust a vampire to take me to the hospital while I was bleeding to death before I trust a car salesman. p.s. if you are a car salesman please take this as offensively as possible.

now that I think of it is Groundspeak compared to a car salesman. Yes the least trustworthy of all beings. I would trust a vampire to take me to the hospital while I was bleeding to death before I trust a car salesman. p.s. if you are a car salesman please take this as offensively as possible.

This is fun.

What are your thoughts on lawyers?

now that I think of it is Groundspeak compared to a car salesman. Yes the least trustworthy of all beings. I would trust a vampire to take me to the hospital while I was bleeding to death before I trust a car salesman. p.s. if you are a car salesman please take this as offensively as possible.

This is fun.

What are your thoughts on lawyers?

Even better, on politicians?

Dang, I'm all out of quarters. Guess I'm done with this thread.

I'll lend you a few. I know you're good for it.

Save them. They're better spent somewhere else.

I would happily send BlueDeuce or Knowschad money if they needed it and I had it available. I can't think of a better way to spend my money than to help good and faithfull caching friends. Nope, haven't met either one personally, but I know they are both good people, good cachers, and would be good personal friends if the opportunity arose.

actually a car example I thought of was, you get the car at a reasonable price but if you want wiper blades and turn signals, you have to pay more. Also both xm and sirius come in many vehicles from the factory, once the initial trial subscription is over, the feature is disabled, leaving only two or three preview channels constantly there to remind you that you could subscribe to their service. In fact the best example out of this, now that I think of it is Groundspeak compared to a car salesman. Yes the least trustworthy of all beings. I would trust a vampire to take me to the hospital while I was bleeding to death before I trust a car salesman. p.s. if you are a car salesman please take this as offensively as possible.

I must assume you entered into your no cost transaction with Groundspeak of your own free will and accord, knowing the features, advantages and benefits of the product offered for no cost. Why do you now believe you should be entitled to receive more features, advantages and benefits for no cost? You have already received what you signed up for. If you are interested and desire to receive additional features, advantages and benefits the choice is clear. I just don't get it. :blink:

Come on guys wake up and smell the coffee. He is baiting you and you got hooked. He's sitting back now and being entertained cause he got you riled up.

Whether he's real or a sock puppet " breathe" let it go.

Oh, but he is playing along and actively engaging. Different story line.

If Greg_L replies by quoting the entirety of post #107, then a forum regular posts a riposte quoting all of that, then the home team will have won as it will not be possible for Greg_L to quote the whole of that riposte without hitting the nesting limit.

That is the game being played here, right? :omnomnom:

Nope that's a horrible analogy. First you didn't buy anything. If you haven't spent any money then you haven't lost any money. Groundspeak could have decided a long time ago that they would charge everyone $30 for basic membership, and then add on another 20-30 for being premium. But they decided that Geocaching should be open for all. The only PM benefit that keeps you from caching is PMO caches and these are few and far between (and most CO will still let you find them you just have to ask). If you had paid $30 and Groundspeak did not provide the services they promised then you could feel entitiled.

Greg I don't think you're a troll in the classic sense, but it does seem like you want to stir the pot. I challenge you to find one quality website with almost no ads that has an amazing free service and a premium service for only 8 cents a day.

Suggestions:

It wouldn't bother me so much if Groundspeak was a non profit organization.

Yeah. I wish the phone and electric companies were non profit too. <sigh>

Careful what you wish for. I used to live in a place where the electric company was a non-profit. I paid about 35% more for electricity there than I do now, where my electricity provider is a mega-corporation.

It looks like the opening poster has had a full opportunity to express his views and suggestions and has received the full benefit of community responses. Since the topic has turned argumentative and remained so for a page or so, it is no longer helpful to the community. I am closing it.

-Brad

Signal's Apprentice