Only While Geocaching

So I took my father out geocaching for the first time today and the spot he parked at put me way to close to a holly bush to get out. I however muscled out of the vehicle and shimmied away from the bush. We searched for the cache to no avail, but i did find a pretty robins egg! I tapped it and it sounded hollow, so I thought I would keep it and put it in the next cache as a pretty little nature peice. Heading back to the vehicle excited for the next cache I shimmied a little more quickly, and less gracefully, ending backward in the thick holly bush. In the process i managed to squeeze my hand around the egg... That was apparently not empty. The slimey yellow liquid that was then all over my hand, was rotten. The stench was horrible, even after washing my hands twice (thank goodness i didn't put it in a cache). I then called my friend and she told me about her wonderful incidences as well today while caching. So we thought we'd make this post. What are some things that have happened to you that made you sigh and think "Oooonly while geocaching!"?

Okay, so I've been searching all day to find a spot to tell my funny story (didn't want to post a new topic, if one already existed). Found this thread and thought this might just fit.

We went out yesterday for a lovely day of geocaching. We came to a hide next to a road side county dump (several dumpsters lined up on the side of the road). We made the find fairly quickly, had it in the car to sign the log when a couple of muggles drove up in their pick-up. We thought "Mmmmm, we'll just wait it out, act like we're lost and trying to get directions from our computer until they finish". Several minutes go by when we notice that the man, who has no trash to put in the dumpsters, has jumped in and is apparently shopping, no kidding! He finds a TV, tries to remove it, which is difficult from inside. His dumpster diving partner proceeds to exit the vehicle to lend a hand. They manage to retrieve their new TV, at which time the lady (said partner) gets back into the vehicle and begins eating a candy bar or something with the nasty hands she just put all over the dumpster and TV. Now, we are trying very hard not to draw attention to ourselves, but we just can't stop laughing. We keep saying, "they have to be leaving, soon"! Nope, they just keep on and on and on, going through every dumpster there. In and out! At one point they got in their truck and looked like they were waiting for US to leave, which we couldn't cause we still had the cache in the car!!! OMG, what a time. We can't stop laughing, tooooo funny! Gotta love cachin'!

Anyone else have funny stories to tell?

So I took my father out geocaching for the first time today and the spot he parked at put me way to close to a holly bush to get out. I however muscled out of the vehicle and shimmied away from the bush. We searched for the cache to no avail, but i did find a pretty robins egg! I tapped it and it sounded hollow, so I thought I would keep it and put it in the next cache as a pretty little nature peice. Heading back to the vehicle excited for the next cache I shimmied a little more quickly, and less gracefully, ending backward in the thick holly bush. In the process i managed to squeeze my hand around the egg... That was apparently not empty. The slimey yellow liquid that was then all over my hand, was rotten. The stench was horrible, even after washing my hands twice (thank goodness i didn't put it in a cache). I then called my friend and she told me about her wonderful incidences as well today while caching. So we thought we'd make this post. What are some things that have happened to you that made you sigh and think "Oooonly while geocaching!"?

why would you take a robins egg from its abode? That "slimy" yellow liquid was probably the enzymes coming from the developing bird inside.

why would you take a robins egg from its abode? That "slimy" yellow liquid was probably the enzymes coming from the developing bird inside.

Uh, I wasn't there, but a rotten egg is pretty unmistakable. So is a dead/discarded agg that is on the ground instead of in the nest. If there were a developing bird inside, the OP would have found said developing bird. The "microscopic" stage for an embryo is very brief: it becomes a perfectly formed miniature of a baby in a matter of days. (Same is true for all vertebrates including humans.) The yellow in the egg is the yolk (mainly fat and other nutrients to feed the developing chick), not mysterious "enzymes." The embryo makes its own enzymes just like any other organism.

Lots of people are understandably concerned about the fate of baby birds because they are helpless (just like human babies) and become beautiful creatures, but it should be remembered that mortality among baby songbirds is very high. And not to sound like a cliché, but that's just nature.

Okay. This thread hasn't gotten a lotta hits. Will get it back on track....

Only while geocaching? Step in a human's fresh poop. A joggers :wacko:

How do you know it was human, did you watch said jogger defaecate on the ground, if so why would you knowingly step in it?

A number of years ago, I was in Washington D.C. for business. On my last day, I had a lot of time to kill until my flight, so I went caching. It was a pretty hot day and after a few caches, found myself a mess. I had stepped into a creek and was covered in sweat. I was soaked and looked and smelled awful. I decided I would change when I dropped off my rental car. I spent a lot of time in the bathroom changing, getting cleaned up and when I came out, I found that they were holding up the shuttle to the airport for me! They did not seem too happy.

My bag was full of stinky, wet clothes when I checked it in. Later, when I got home and retrieved the bag, I discovered that my bag was picked out to be searched by the TSA. I could only imagine how horrified they were when they opened my bag to get a hold of a bunch of soaked, dirty and sweaty clothes.

Not really exciting, but I still remember and chuckle about it every time I have a hot and stinky day of caching.

Went to look for a cache in "rattlesnakeville", and had my beady little eyes peeled the whole time for snakes everywhere I went, and saw nothing. Until I was thrity feet from the parking lot that is. I look down, and see diamondback pattern, and about an eight bead rattle cross in fornt of my feet about four feet away. I take a few steps, stop and reach into my camelbak, snap a picture of this big little turd, nad keep walking. Third one I have almost stepped on. dadgum! 5840470805_5e5a66efa2_m.jpg

I spent many hours climbing all over and around a tree clearly used as a bathroom for raccoons. I went back to the same stinky tree four times before I found the cache. I recall even saying to myself "I'm not going back there" but still did.

p.s. Human poop doesn't smell like any other poop. Ask an anthropologist - when they want to know what kind of poop they found, they get it wet then SMELL IT.