Maps Of Garmin and Lowrance vs Delorme

I wish that all Gps Systems had a program online to run a simulation of what you get. I am looking to get either an Oregon 550t or a Endura Seirra. The main question that I have been wondering is with the map. I like how the map works on my Delorme where I can select a geocache and track it on the map. Can you do this with both the other units? I am really not into using a compass, so normally I just use the map to get to my destination. Also will it change the icon in the unit to something else to let me know I found it?

I wish that all Gps Systems had a program online to run a simulation of what you get. I am looking to get either an Oregon 550t or a Endura Seirra. The main question that I have been wondering is with the map. I like how the map works on my Delorme where I can select a geocache and track it on the map. Can you do this with both the other units?

I know nothing about the Endura, but I'm sure the OR has Dynamic Distance and Bearing, I use it all the time. By DD&B, I mean set your cursor on a distant point, and as you mover relative to that point the GPS will calculate the distance and bearing from your current position. Move and it recalculates - instantly.

I remember once finding an old mine cabin in a dense forest, marked the point with my Colorado, wirelessly Xferred that point to an OR 450, and several months later, with snow on the ground, I used DD&B to walk right to that location. Sounds like what you're trying to do.

I wish that all Gps Systems had a program online to run a simulation of what you get. I am looking to get either an Oregon 550t or a Endura Seirra. The main question that I have been wondering is with the map. I like how the map works on my Delorme where I can select a geocache and track it on the map. Can you do this with both the other units? I am really not into using a compass, so normally I just use the map to get to my destination. Also will it change the icon in the unit to something else to let me know I found it?

Hi,

I have just purchased a 550t and its very good, like the paperless features. Also you can customise what you see. you can just use a compass or just use a map which shows all the caches you have loaded and WPS so you can easily see any nearby caches you can pick up enroute and when found the icon changes. plus you can have a combination of compass and map in a kind of overlay dashboard. cant comment on the other but would recommend the 550t.

I've got an Oregon 400, but I'm sure that regarding your question about using the map to locate caches, the capabilities are the same in the newer units.

I ALWAYS use the map page to navigate to a cache. I have several profiles set up on the unit, with a couple for geocaching. The geocaching profiles select the map set I want to use and set the routing to direct (so the routing doesn't lock to nearby roads). You can display a number of fields at the top of the Oregon's map, such as distance to the cache and a small pointer arrow. There is also a geocaching-specific dashboard which can be displayed at the top of the map page as well.

Navigating using the map is simple . . . as I get closer to the cache, I zoom in and watch my track to get a sense of any corrections in direction I need to make.

When you mark the cache as found, the icon changes.

The biggest difference is that you can find topo and routeable maps for Garmins for FREE. Not sure about the Lowarnce, but I've never seen free maps for them. I know, that unless something has seriously changed at DeLorme, you can not get free maps, other than the included ones. You have to buy DeLorme software, (which some people tried to argue to me that $100, which I never saw for it...was reasonable. Compared to free, $100 is insane). As has been said, the Lowrance models do not have a big fan base within the community, and I've read some things from people who have been doing this far longer than me that will keep me from buying one. Garmin is the world's leading seller of GPS devices, and after using one for our last 350 or so finds, I'll say I agree that they should be. And, I have a bottom of the line Oregon 200. The functionality, reliability, battery life and ease of use on this one, plus all the free maps I care to download, make the Garmins the only GPS I see us using for the foreseeable future.

The biggest difference is that you can find topo and routeable maps for Garmins for FREE. Not sure about the Lowarnce, but I've never seen free maps for them. I know, that unless something has seriously changed at DeLorme, you can not get free maps, other than the included ones. You have to buy DeLorme software, (which some people tried to argue to me that $100, which I never saw for it...was reasonable. Compared to free, $100 is insane). As has been said, the Lowrance models do not have a big fan base within the community, and I've read some things from people who have been doing this far longer than me that will keep me from buying one. Garmin is the world's leading seller of GPS devices, and after using one for our last 350 or so finds, I'll say I agree that they should be. And, I have a bottom of the line Oregon 200. The functionality, reliability, battery life and ease of use on this one, plus all the free maps I care to download, make the Garmins the only GPS I see us using for the foreseeable future.

What do you mean by free maps? :-p If you buy the unit your paying for the maps. I took a look at the information for Garmin and so far I saw a big price tag for every single one of the topographic maps 100k and 24k, trail, and city maps (honestly, though cool, Aerials I dont really need). Is there something I am missing here? Anyway, as far as Delorme is concerned I really never went past what they gave me in the box. I think I had a bundle package and had the maps with it. I currently am looking into the Magellan model. Seems like all the maps I could want go with it. Anyway can you give me more information on the maps business for garmin?

I know, that unless something has seriously changed at DeLorme, you can not get free maps, other than the included ones. You have to buy DeLorme software, (which some people tried to argue to me that $100, which I never saw for it...was reasonable. Compared to free, $100 is insane). ....

Yes, something must have changed at DeLorme as such is not the case today.

Consequently, please allow me to unconfuse the issue:

1. Yes, the map package by itself in $100 if one wants to buy it for itself and go geocaching without a handheld GPSr.

2. That is, these DeLorme maps can be used with no other brand of handheld GPSr, so if you do buy them as the $100 package, you are not able use them with a GPSr of any other brand.

3. However, when one purchases a DeLorme handheld GPSr, such as the PN-60, the map package is included as a bundle in the box.

4. The bundled, included with the handheld GPSr map package covers the USA, Mexico and Canada so there is no reason to bother with free maps.

I know, that unless something has seriously changed at DeLorme, you can not get free maps, other than the included ones. You have to buy DeLorme software, (which some people tried to argue to me that $100, which I never saw for it...was reasonable. Compared to free, $100 is insane). ....

Yes, something must have changed at DeLorme as such is not the case today.

Consequently, please allow me to unconfuse the issue:

1. Yes, the map package by itself in $100 if one wants to buy it for itself and go geocaching without a handheld GPSr.

2. That is, these DeLorme maps can be used with no other brand of handheld GPSr, so if you do buy them as the $100 package, you are not able use them with a GPSr of any other brand.

3. However, when one purchases a DeLorme handheld GPSr, such as the PN-60, the map package is included as a bundle in the box.

4. The bundled, included with the handheld GPSr map package covers the USA, Mexico and Canada so there is no reason to bother with free maps.

Thanks to the above two posters. :)

Does that mean that Garmin maps are also able to be used on the Magellan or even the Lowrance? Are there any maps out there interchangeable between many different units? I guess the second is the better of the two questions. :) Right now, I am just trying to replace a Delorme that I fell out of a tree with and want something comparable. :-D I looked at the reviews of everything, but unless I know a lot about the machines and their maps, I dont feel that it is a good idea to just buy a system.

No. All GPS brands/maps are islands to themselves, no transfers possible at least not without a HUGE amount of effort.

Yes you can get "free" maps for Garmins, but don't think there isn't a price to pay for them. They are created by community support and although they are quite good they can have "problems". For example the routable maps are NOT searchable, you won't be able to tell your GPS to find & route you to "123 Main Street" It'll most likely come back with "location not found".

Yeah I know nowadays everyone wants everything for free, but there is a price for freedom. Wow that'd be a great slogan for a bumper sticker :rolleyes:

For example the routable maps are NOT searchable, you won't be able to tell your GPS to find & route you to "123 Main Street" It'll most likely come back with "location not found".

I don't know about your side of the pond - but the free OSM maps of the UK certainly are routable, and searchable, and as good as - if not better than - the street maps on Google Earth.

"123 Main Street", though, is going to lead to problems until you also tell it what town you're heading too ;):rolleyes:

For example the routable maps are NOT searchable, you won't be able to tell your GPS to find & route you to "123 Main Street" It'll most likely come back with "location not found".

I don't know about your side of the pond - but the free OSM maps of the UK certainly are routable, and searchable, and as good as - if not better than - the street maps on Google Earth.

"123 Main Street", though, is going to lead to problems until you also tell it what town you're heading too ;):rolleyes:

Maybe there is a pond side difference, thanks for pointing that out. A while ago I tried the openstreetmaps and no it wasn't successful in searching for addresses, and yes thanks I know you have to include the town name. Others here too have noticed that while those free maps are routable they aren't searchable. Has that feature been added? What I COULD DO is move the cursor over to my destination pick the spot & hit go. It would route me no problem using that pattern.

Another problem I've noticed, I told it to route me to a destination I KNEW was directly ahead of me and the road I was on took me straight to it. But the GPS was insisting I make a U-turn to an alternate road. It kept doing that until I crossed a spot where (I assume) the mapped road must have a small break in it, & the GPS thought it was an incomplete road. This wasn't a problem for me then because I knew the area well, but a newbie traveler would have been really screwed up. And the roads in question were plenty old, so it wasn't a case of "new construction not yet complete"

Like I said, freedom can have a price

It kept doing that until I crossed a spot where (I assume) the mapped road must have a small break in it, & the GPS thought it was an incomplete road. This wasn't a problem for me then because I knew the area well, but a newbie traveler would have been really screwed up.

Did you then go into OSM and corrected it for other newbie users?

It kept doing that until I crossed a spot where (I assume) the mapped road must have a small break in it, & the GPS thought it was an incomplete road. This wasn't a problem for me then because I knew the area well, but a newbie traveler would have been really screwed up.

...and therein lies the problem. Not everyone will volunteer to fix it. It's a caveat emptor kinda thing.

...and therein lies the problem. Not everyone will volunteer to fix it. It's a caveat emptor kinda thing.

Alright well thanks everyone. :)

No one said anything about the Lowrance, so I guess it is off. I was originally going with the Garmin because of the camera and the Wherigo (not going to get to do this until someone makes one for closer then 54 miles from my house). The more I look at it, every map is included with the Magellan that I will need. Garmin you either have to pay a lot to get the same or download it for free which would take alot of time and may not be able to be used well. I know people rave about the Oregon, but I am just going to have to wait till I feel that Garmin is providing the maps that other places provide or more people put up Wherigo. :-/ Maybe next time Garmin. :-p

Ok well as it happens I just bought an Oregon 450 and downloaded the OSM maps for Ontario Canada which is where I live. I loaded the whole province & everything went great. Except I can't search for addresses at all :( the 1st thing it asks is which State/Province I'm in & I key "Ontario", it comes back with "no data found" or something like that.

That was only a guess of what the problem is on my part.. I don't have a clue why it behaved that way.. and I haven't yet tried that same route now to see if it's still the same.

At least the auto-zoom is now working :D

Bottom line though, OSM is awesome for the price! But it's just going to be a place holder until I can buy Garmin City Navigator.