Puzzle cache input

Hello all,

I have had an idea for a new puzzle cache and would like some input as to what people think would work best.

The general idea is to have a cache hidden somewhere and release a TB that has the coordinates for it, the cacher would have to hunt down the TB before finding the final.

An alternative option is to have the TB attached to a key and coordinates that open the final so that the cacher has to physicaly take the TB with them. I think this would be a more rewarding experience but could cause problems if other users wish to persue the cache as someone else may be holding onto the key.

One more thing, would this be best described as a puzzle or a multi?

Thanks in advance.

So what happens if the TB is taken by someone that doesn't read the instructions ( I assume there would be instructions attached that state how far abroad or in which county etc. the TB should be placed in) and starts it on a journey around the world?

Yeah, we have at least one around here like that. The cache is at the posted coordinates but there are two keys attached to TB tags which float around the general area and you need to find one in order to open the final.

We also had one where the posted coordinates are bogus and you need to find a TB to get the coordinates.

I believe it should be listed a Mystery/Unknown rather than a Multi.

You also may want to release a couple of TBs so if one goes missing or gets taken out of the area the cache remains viable without having to do maintenance right away.

I've done a few caches like that (although only one with the key). One of mine is along similar lines, but there are several travel bugs.

The trick is to make the coordinates available on the website rather than on the bug, but you have to find the bug to find out the web page for the correct coordinates.

Split the coordinates between two bugs so it's harder to guess.

The big advantage with this approach is that if a bug goes missing you can simply update the puzzle so that another bug points to the correct solution.

A simple example; you release bugs A,B,C,D,E and F; each one has a card attached with a date. In the cache description you mention the tracking codes (TBXXXX) for B and D. When the cacher finds B and D, he takes note of the dates on the cards. in this example these are 4th February 2010 and 6th June 2010 respectively. In the cache logs for B and D are lots of notes giving coordinates. These are all dummy, except on a certain date. The correct coordinates (perhaps encoded) are given in the notes of 4th February 2010 and 6th June 2010.

Next week, B is reported missing. You don't have to leave home. You amend the cache logs for A so that they are the same as B (or at least the critical 4th February entry is), and then amend B so that all the coordinates in the notes (for all dates) are dummy. You amend the cache page so that the seeker is pointed at A and D instead of B and D.

As you spotted, using a physical key has the big disadvantage that people will hold on to it for a few days or weeks until they get chance to visit the cache.

There is a local cache to me that has copies of the keys attached to three different travel bugs. Any one of them will open the cache. It is a fun cache and the page is set up nicely to have status displays for the travel bugs with keys.

It recently had a situation where the lock was cut by a muggle. The maintainer had to go and replace the keys on the travel bugs to match the new lock. It's a fun setup, but it creates interesting maintenance situations if you do not have a ready supply of matching locks and keys.

http://coord.info/GC2BNRZ

There is a local cache to me that has copies of the keys attached to three different travel bugs. Any one of them will open the cache. It is a fun cache and the page is set up nicely to have status displays for the travel bugs with keys.

It recently had a situation where the lock was cut by a muggle. The maintainer had to go and replace the keys on the travel bugs to match the new lock. It's a fun setup, but it creates interesting maintenance situations if you do not have a ready supply of matching locks and keys.

http://coord.info/GC2BNRZ

Done several like that in the Twin Cities alone.

Hello all,

I have had an idea for a new puzzle cache and would like some input as to what people think would work best.

The general idea is to have a cache hidden somewhere and release a TB that has the coordinates for it, the cacher would have to hunt down the TB before finding the final.

An alternative option is to have the TB attached to a key and coordinates that open the final so that the cacher has to physicaly take the TB with them. I think this would be a more rewarding experience but could cause problems if other users wish to persue the cache as someone else may be holding onto the key.

One more thing, would this be best described as a puzzle or a multi?

Thanks in advance.

Would be an "?" cache, like this one:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=60ae11a4-4535-42d8-b1e7-70adf8f13afb

Thankyou for all the responses guys and gals, some good info there.

I do like the key idea as it adds a certain element of gratification when it is reunited with the lock. I have had a locked cache broken into before so the coordinates would be attached to the keyring along with the TB, this means that whoever figures out the location will have the key so no need to break in. It also means that the TB is less likely to go on an epic walkabout as nearly every time it is collected it will be taken back to the same area to unlock the cache.

The 'lock out,tag out' cache GC2BNRZ that was kindly suggested by SpaceGamer is exactly the sort of thing I wish to achieve. My HTML skills are pretty non existant, does anyone have any idea how the CO made the page dynamic with the TB info?

Found a cache like this in Germany, south of Darmstadt: G.O.'s Home. One of the first puzzle caches we did, and I was really psyched to come across the TB. One of these days I'll get around to copying the idea.

There is another up near Frankfurt, Aktenzeichen GCTBGM/080206-A, that actually had a CD travel bug you needed to solve the cache. We figured that whatever was on the CD was probably beyond the scope of our limited German, so we never tried it.

Thankyou for all the responses guys and gals, some good info there.

The 'lock out,tag out' cache GC2BNRZ that was kindly suggested by SpaceGamer is exactly the sort of thing I wish to achieve. My HTML skills are pretty non existant, does anyone have any idea how the CO made the page dynamic with the TB info?

WVangler, who placed the cache, has been very helpful. I'm sure that if you sent him an e-mail through his profile link he would be willing to let you know.