what in the world are these?

It looks a little bit like the lid you remove before mixing a bottle of injectable drugs, but I'm probably wrong. Do they have any markings at all? Like writing on them?

ya they say flip off or flip open or something like that

the purple thing at the very bottom is also one

Edited by MendoBowHunter

It looks a little bit like the lid you remove before mixing a bottle of injectable drugs, but I'm probably wrong. Do they have any markings at all? Like writing on them?

ya they say flip off or flip open or something like that

the purple thing at the very bottom is also one

Huh... That could be it then. I don't think we have any injectables that you need to mix in this pharmacy so I can't check what they usually say.

mine are orange but now that I know they are swag I'll be taking them to my next cache.

(that is a joke, I always throw them away)

That's exactly what they are: they are the caps to containers on injectable drugs.

If someone has diabetes they collect a lot of these.

They can be used as chips in a board game I suppose.

I would guess someone is leaving them hoping that someone else might have a use for them.

I've never seen them in caches around here, so I suspect they are coming from someone in your area who has diabetes. That part is a guess though.

That's exactly what they are: they are the caps to containers on injectable drugs.

I would guess someone is leaving them hoping that someone else might have a use for them.

I've never seen them in caches around here, so I suspect they are coming from someone in your area who has diabetes. That part is a guess though.

Like from these?

2ir89kg.jpg

2qly9ae.jpg

I would completely avoid handling someone else's unknown medication containers (or caps which sealed medication containers), but I'm strange like that.

mine are orange but now that I know they are swag I'll be taking them to my next cache.

Great - medical waste.

(essentially)

Like from these?

2ir89kg.jpg

2qly9ae.jpg

I would completely avoid handling someone else's unknown medication containers (or caps which sealed medication containers), but I'm strange like that.

Similar to those.

There are different types.

The ones shown in your picture have a metal flange that comes down. Not all of them do.

Some are just the plastic caps and that's it. The ones he found are the latter.

Yes they are medical waste. They are sterile when they come off the containers, so I wouldn't worry about safety with them. You can't replace them back onto the bottle after they come off, so I would have to say they are generally pretty clean, probably cleaner than any of the other swag in there.

They do NOT make good swag, for those tempted to leave theirs. They just stay forever as garbage in the bottom of the cache container.

They are sterile when they come off the containers, so I wouldn't worry about safety with them. You can't replace them back onto the bottle after they come off, so I would have to say they are generally pretty clean, probably cleaner than any of the other swag in there.

So are they often kept and treasured by the people who use those bottles? Asking in all seriousness*, just verifying they're generally considered benign and safe to play with. I honestly don't know. Even a teeny little dab of antibiotic might be really bad for some people to unknowingly handle. But that cap goes over the rubber hypodermic seal of the vial, I'd suppose, so no fluid should contact the caps.

*serious, but maybe more like "incredulous". Or something.

Edited by kunarion

My parents are diabetic (My mom is insulin dependent) and I recognized them instantly.