Easy GPS Downloading

The HotwheelsGang

Yes, I am having trouble too. When I click Download Waypoints, it wants to get nearest.aspx. And renaming that to a .loc file doesn't work. It isn't getting the waypoint info into the download file.

I have the same problem downloading from an individual cache page.

Something's broken...

[This message was edited by MedallionFamily on June 25, 2003 at 02:33 PM.]

Actually, I have a slightly different problem. I'm too impatient to wait for my pocket querry to come so I went to the new "Search for nearest caches in MD or from your home coordinates" page. I clicked the "check all" button and went to the next page. I then clicked the "check all" button and went to the next page, etc. until I had 100 checked. I then clicked Download Waypoinst and I only get 20 waypoints?????? Is there a limitation? If so, I can't find anything written about it.

Any ideas?

Thought about that. I went back to check and the previous pages looked still checked, but who knows if they really are. The problem is, I'm trying to create Microsoft Streets Pushpin files (PSP) by using Babel. The PSP files must match the name of the map file in Microsoft Streets, so I think I have to have only one file. I'll try tonight after my pocket querry comes through!

quote:
Originally posted by MedallionFamily:

Yes, I am having trouble too. When I click Download Waypoints, it wants to get nearest.aspx. And renaming that to a .loc file doesn't work. It isn't getting the waypoint info into the download file.

Something's broken...

When the initial download window opens and it shows the file as "nearest.aspx" then click on "open" instead of "save". It will then bounce back to the same window but listing the file as "geocaching.loc". Now click on "save" and tell it where.

Don't ask me why this happens. All I know is that it works and has been mentioned in these forums numerous times by various cachers.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

Thanks, the download works with the method

you suggested.

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

quote:
Originally posted by MedallionFamily:

Something's broken...

When the initial download window opens and it shows the file as "nearest.aspx" then click on "open" instead of "save". It will then bounce back to the same window but listing the file as "geocaching.loc". Now click on "save" and tell it where.

Don't ask me why this happens. All I know is that it works and has been mentioned in these forums numerous times by various cachers.

Cheers, Olar

_"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"_

I was having problems downloading waypoints from individual cache pages - the file would download, but when I tried to open it up in EasyGPS it would fail. If I did a search that included the same cache and downloaded the .loc from the search list, the EasyGPS worked fine. There was a 5-10 byte difference in file size between the two downloads, which of course made all the difference. Doesn't happen all the time, but it sure is strange.

I'm having the same problems - I can download the *.loc files but the files ARE NOT .loc format! Opening them in a text exitor reveals that they are in fact XML data. The geocaching.com server IS NOT sending the right file formats. Below is an example of what is being sent (which IS NOT loc format):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?><loc version="1.0" src="EasyGPS"><waypoint><name id="GCG9G9"><![CDATA[Horse Heaven reWard by Younglifenut's (Ty,Tate, Amy, Rich)]]></name><coord lat="46.18225" lon="-119.153766666667" /><type>geocache</type><link text="Cache Details">http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GCG9G9</link></waypoint></loc>

I have downloaded the loc files with both Internet Explorer and Mozilla with the same result - XML instead of LOC. (It all worked fine a few months ago)

I AM having troubles with Easy GPS, amnd I don't know why.

My computer CRASHED and had to be reformatted, so I re-downloaded EasyGPS, and then tried to D/l waypoints today, they successfully went into Easy GPS, but sending them to my Meridian Sportrak Map indicates no connection to the Sportrak. (no communication error code 22)

I Checked and the cable is good, and the GPSr has the most recent firmware (4.06).

Is there something I can do to assure the GPS is communicating?

BAAAD! BAAAAD!!!!

A BAAAD Ancestor is Good to Find!!!!

http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

quote:
Originally posted by Team Woodlmt:

I am having problems also with easygps. I have tried opening the file and then saving, but there is no information there. It just has the title page. No coordinates or anything. Has anyone experienced this? Is there something else I can do?

I'm not too techy but I have the same problem when using my MSN browser. I have to minimize that and bring up Internet Explorer and it works fine.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

I had no problem until today. What should I do? Now, when I try to download one cache to my GPS, I get this message:

"The file "geocaching.loc is of type application/xml-loc, and Netscape does not know how to handle this file type. This file is located at:

http://geocaching.com/seek

What should Netscape do with this file?"

I have always chosen:

"Open it with the default application"

Now I get the following message:

"C:\docume ~\owner\locals~1\TEMP\geocaching-21.loc could not be opened because an unknown error occurred.

"Sorry about that. Try saving to disk first and then opening file."

So I tried to reinstall EasyGPS and got the following:

"The file "SetupEasyGPS.exe" is of type application/octet stream, and netscape does not know how to handle this file type. This file is located at: http://www.easygps.com

What should netscape do with this file?"

And it does not give me the option to save to desktop as the instructions direct.

What should I do? Netscape knew how to handle this last week.

Judy