Feeling silly...and a few Q's

Team_White

Hi all,

I'm just starting to look around the site and have found a few cahes in my local area that I'm considering looking for. I have a few questions before I go out and start looking.

Firstly - do you ever feel silly or 'uncomfortable' looking around in rural areas for the cache? It seems that most of them in my area are rural, with one or two outside of people's houses! I'm just worried that I'll look a bit odd looking around trees and bushes.

Secondly - do I really need a proper GPS to do it? I don't have one, though I have an iphone which has it's own gps and maps. It is generally quite good but I don't know ho accurate it will be...does anyone else use their iphone?

Third - and last (for now!) If I were to place my own caches in my local area is it just a matter of putting them out there or are there rules for me to follow?

Thank you.

Donna

Hello,

Welcome to Geocaching :)

I started about half a year ago, and also thought that I would look a bit silly peering round and searching in bushes, but as I started geocaching,I didnt seem to think about it. Before starting the search, aslong as you look out for any near by people , you are sure to be fine,and once your in the full flow of searching you`ll probably forget about the whole `being stared` at situation anyway! If people do appear, just tell them your looking for something you dropped or your doing a treasure hunt!?

Secondly, I can`t really help you here as I own an actualy GPS, which I bought off ebay for £30! Very realible and works well, even if it is rather old! But, I`m sure the iphone will be fine, as many people use their phone as a gps and find the cache well.

Thirdly, you can plant your cache in a local area, but their are a few rules to follow. If you want all of the rules go onto the website and look on the terms and rules bit next to how to find a cache :) But mainly;you can`t hide caches in walls,private places,boring places or too near another already planted cache.

Hope you enjoy geocaching,

Feel free to ask any more questions,

Spanner15 :)

Hi all,

I'm just starting to look around the site and have found a few cahes in my local area that I'm considering looking for. I have a few questions before I go out and start looking.

Firstly - do you ever feel silly or 'uncomfortable' looking around in rural areas for the cache? It seems that most of them in my area are rural, with one or two outside of people's houses! I'm just worried that I'll look a bit odd looking around trees and bushes.

Secondly - do I really need a proper GPS to do it? I don't have one, though I have an iphone which has it's own gps and maps. It is generally quite good but I don't know ho accurate it will be...does anyone else use their iphone?

Third - and last (for now!) If I were to place my own caches in my local area is it just a matter of putting them out there or are there rules for me to follow?

Thank you.

Donna

I am also starting-out, but I will share what I have seen in other posts!

And...welcome to the obsession / sport / game that is geocaching!

1) It depends on your personality. Some people are extremely self-conscious geocaching where people are looking at them. Others could not care less. I guess one response might be "Don't look furtive or suspicious". Meaning, "act natural". Don't wear a black cape, top hat, or wring your hands evilly as you walk around in circles. Some people suggest that you find and print a few "What is Geocaching?" information sheets to hand-out to people. If you are approached by someone asking questions, tell the truth. Don't run to your car and take-off with screeching tires.

If a certain location makes you feel uncomfortable, move-on to another cache. Perhaps you can return later when there are not so many people. In fact, we are encouraged NOT to show "muggles" (people who do not know what geocaching is) where a cache is located, if at all possible.

In my experience (so far) most people don't care, really, what I am doing. I might get the occasional glance in my direction, but I just ignore it. They can approach me if they want to. They can call the cops if they want to. When they show-up, I will explain what I am doing. My understanding is that most cops know about geocaching. Some may even volunteer to help you find it!

If you can go with somebody, a family member or friend, that can reduce the awkwardness. I'm 40 years old. Me lurking around a schoolyard by myself looks odd. Me with my son in tow is not so concerning. (Incidentally, schoolyards and military bases are off-limits, according to the guidelines, so I wouldn't be lurking alone or with others, anyway ;)

2) I've heard that many caches can be found by using Yahoo Maps / MapQuest or some other "Map" service. I've heard that when you go "off-road" it may not go very well. I have a Garmin eTrex something or other. There is a Geomate Jr. that is around $70 that will do the job. It comes pre-loaded with 250,000 caches. I'm hoping to get an iPhone soon and see how it does!

Geomate, Jr.: http://mygeomate.com/Home.action (they now support pocket queries, btw).

3) You don't want to go place one without doing some research and doing some preparation. Not all containers are created to be cache containers. Many people suggest you find a bunch of caches FIRST before you think about hiding your own. Some say find 100 caches first. The reason for this is that it will give you the opportunity to experience both GOOD and NOT SO GOOD caches. You will notice the ones that tend to leak, often ruining the logbook in the process. You'll see what a micro cache is like vs a small, regular or large size.

Also, there are guidelines for placing a cache that you definitely should read first:

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Member "Head Hard Hat" has some videos on You Tube that are great for beginners:

I guess that is "enough" for now.

Good luck!

Tom

Edited by knowltonGeo

1) Some areas are more uncomfortable then others to cache in. Just act like you own the place and your good to go.

2) The iPhone will get you through fine. Lots of people cache with there smart phones as there only GPSr.

3) If you place a cache look at the rules. You'll also want to have a better GPSr then your phone so your cords are accurate.

If you don't feel comfortable searching in an area -walk away.

Phones are fine for finding. It's a case of 'geo-sense' and looking for the cache, neither the phone or handheld GPS will take you to the exact spot where the cache is hidden.

A 'proper' GPS IS required to get the coordinates if you want to hide a cache. You can borrow one, or ask a local cacher to help you.

Welcome, and enjoy!

Let me encourage you to make certain you read the guidelines before planning a hide. Then read them again. When you get done, go back and really read them. All of them.

If your proposed hide fits nicely in all of them, you will have no problems getting it published on this site.

For finding, let me encourage you to be bold. Act as though it is your job to find that cache. A job you are proud to do. Just do it, walk over and find the cache, don't look over your shoulder, don't act nervous. Sign the log, put the cache back and walk away. Carry a clipboard, such people tend to blend in with the background.

Welcome aboard!!

Hi all,

Thank you.

Donna

I feel a whole lot more "silly" and/or "uncomfortable" caching in urban areas rather than the rural areas. I much prefer the rural hunts.

Fellow kinda newcomer here. Take a look at the APP for the Iphone. I've found it extremely useful for more than just caching. As a long time hiker / orienteer I've found some great functionality with the app even when I'm not searching for caches. That said, I've only looked for three caches and there were just enough people there that I felt uncomfortable digging around too much so I've found NONE! I seem to forget that I'm looking for caches when I go out and just start hiking but the APP has been well worth it's cost even without it's use for caching.

Hi all,

Thank you.

Donna

I feel a whole lot more "silly" and/or "uncomfortable" caching in urban areas rather than the rural areas. I much prefer the rural hunts.

Ooops! lol I think I was tired as I meant urban! :-s

Thank you everyone, for your comments and advice. I went out on a hunt today, didn't find it but that was largley due to lack of time as the local cricket team turned up to do training in the spot that we were looking :-/ Hoping the weather has improved a bit tomorrow so I can go out and get it then. Also think my DH is getting into the idea a little bit so I may possibly be able to drag him along to some of them if they're in more public areas...safety in numbers!!

my daughter and i had a good one yesterday, a magnetic nano stuck to a statue of a tree on a very busy crossroads with traffic stopped at all sides waiting for the lights to change. we just had to forget about them and get on with the job in hand, i would like to know what some of them were thinkng though. found it too.
I've found a few blinkers on public sculptures. I enjoy the opportunity to stop and examine the sculpture closely.

It was my first day today - to answer some of your questions...

1 - I felt like a total idiot wadering around in the town centre next to a coffee shop, a leisure centre and a under a bridge in a busy park looking for Cache. So much so I didn't spend that long in any of them and only found 1 of those 3.

However, then went to some in the countryside and those were fine as no one around and were in church yard bushes.

2 - I only have the Iphone Ap - AND it is only the free trial one. SO - no GPS location numbers, just a compass and map. It was okay to use but took a little time to update so kept walking past the point a few times, did not find it exactly accurate but I still found 3 out of 5 on my first day!

3 - I have no idea....

New here also...in fact this is my first official post on the forum ;)

1. I started out doing city caches, yes you do tend to feel pretty silly. I have found that once you feel you are pretty close put the GPS/phone in your pocket and just start looking. If there are people around you tend to stand out much more looking down at the device doing the coord shuffle....two steps to the right one step back, two steps forward etc. I feel much more comfortable doing rural hides, but love how I can pick up some numbers while running errands around town also.

2. A phone will get you close but I prefer my GPS. When I first started I was using my Iphone and was only finding about half of them. Once I bought my GPS and went back to visit my DNF's I couldn't believe how far from the cache I was looking the first time I visited. But I must say the more you find the easier it becomes, I have found a few without the help of either device.

3. When starting out it is so tempting to just go out and place a cache. I suggest doing quite a bit of research and listening to others advice. Also Groundspeak has rules regarding where you can place a cache. I currently have 4 caches loaded with goodies on me ready to place and haven't done so yet. I have recently obtained permission from a retail property manager for one and also talked with a State Park Ranger on a couple of other placements. Even with the permission I am still scouting these places for the right spot as I do not want to place them and then 1 week later find out it has been muggled.

In urban situations, I like the ruse of looking at my watch and pretending to look up and down the street like I'm waiting on someone. Everyone in the world has been in that situation, so they are likely to feel sorry for you and ignore you. Act like you are dialing your cellphone and getting a busy signal. Pace with an upset look on your face. Nobody will approach you.

I also have a Cloak of Invisibility. It's an orange vest that I bought at Walmart. When you're wearing a bright orange vest, you are obviously there working and you disappear completely. You also might pull out a plastic bag and start picking up trash. Not only are you cleaning up, but nobody will get close just in case you might ask them to work too. Heh heh.

Hi all,

Thank you.

Donna

I use my iPhone almost exclusively, as my wife rarely lets me use our GPS! When I do have both, or if we're caching together, then I use the phone more for things like checking recent logs, hints, description pages, etc. We bought an inexpensive GPS that doesn't hold anything but the coordintes, cache name and owner name.

The accuracy of the iPhone certainly isn't spectacular; you'll find that it bounces a lot, or sits still and won't update even though you've moved several dozen meters! Once you get the hang of it, though, it definitely works well enough to get by.

As a general rule of them, if it's 3 or more stars for difficulty, I try to wait until I can use the GPS, the only reason being that if I'm going to have to spend an inordinate amount of time scouring around looking for a cache, I want to make darn sure I'm at precisely the right spot! Those 1-2 star caches, when you think you know where it is a hundred meters away, the iPhone is more then adequate for them!

Edit: I forgot to mention... one of the best things about using the iPhone is that they are so ubiquitous and recognized now-a-days, when you see a pack of muggles coming and put it up to your ear and pretend to have a conversation, they don't think twice. Sometimes when I try to pull the same ruse off with our GPS I look more than a little silly with it being bright YELLOW!

Edited by eTom22

I've skipped a lot of urban caches because I feel silly. I'm still new at this and I'm starting to get over it. I actually bought a gps cradle for my iPod for urban caching so it will just look like I'm texting or something. My gps is yellow so it was too obvious.

I recently found a few caches on busy main streets with my iPod that I wouldn't have had the guts to do two months ago when I started out with my yellow garmin.

If a certain location makes you feel uncomfortable, move-on to another cache. Perhaps you can return later when there are not so many people. In fact, we are encouraged NOT to show "muggles" (people who do not know what geocaching is) where a cache is located, if at all possible.

Yep, the reason being that I'm sure a lot of caches get 'muggled' (or stolen!) when a geocacher is seen removing the cache, and then the muggle comes along straight afterwards to find out what's going on.

Try not to do the caches in a busy area during a busy time. If someone does ask - tell them you're Geocaching (and when asked what it is - pick a frase to describe it - like "Geocachers use multi-billion dollar satellite equipment to look for tupperware in the woods" or something else). Also many caching forums (especially regional ones) have links to download printouts of little business cards you can give to muggles when they ask you what you're doing, that briefly describe what Geocaching is and direct them with more Qs to the Geocaching website. Be honest with Law Enforcement Officers if they get curious as to what you're up to. By now they should all be introduced to what Geocaching is. Even some Astronouts are now geocachers too so it's a pretty big community :rolleyes:

As for using the phone... We have been using our Garmin GPSs and been happy with them, especially with our Etrex Venture HC (High sensitivity, Color display). As someone recently pointed it out to us - Apps tend to have a monthly fee that you gotta pay. With a gps like ours being around $120 at the biggest retail store in th us (online order, then free shipping site-to-store) it has paid for itself by now. Basemap is really handy as it shows approximate bigger highways and routs nearby and also bodies of water so we get basic idea where the stuff is. Also - we have found quite a few caches on the trails where i-phones will get no signal. At all. That's also something to consider. GPS are made to withstand rain, even some dunks in water. Build more rugged than I-phones ... Soo... i think of it as like driving in nails with a baseball bat... you can do it but why would you want to if there is a better tool for that?

As for the 3rd Q - there are guidelines you must follow when posting a cache - those are on the front page of the Geocaching site. Basic rules - obey the DCNR rules if it's their location. Get permission from land owners where you want to place a cache, it has to be .1 mile or more from another cache. It cannot be close to railroad. Has to be in a legal location (not within No Tresspassing Zone, or in the median on the Highway). And just pretty much use common sense. The cache would have to be approved first before being posted and the person who is in charge of that in your area could give you a lot more info about local requirements. To find that person and contact them - look up who approved the caches near where you want to make a hide - usually a very first Log with a green dot on the cache page. Hope this helps.

Edited by CluelessnLuV

We feel less conspicuous now than in the beginning. I don't wear contacts, but have been known to "look" for one when muggles approach. Thanks to technology, we hardly get a second look from people when using our GPSs.

You may find when you want to place a cache yourself that you will need your own GPS. I think that is a requirement. Someone who knows better than I will confirm that - or refute it. Mine was on sale for $159 and is paperless. If I can operate it, it must be user friendly!

Welcome to the fun and to the forums. :)

The best way to geocache with an iPhone would be to download the $9.99 Official Geocaching iPhone app. I use the same app on my android phone sometimes, but I usually cache with my GPS.

Hope this is helpful.

-Cam1998