Looking for clarification on guidelines

ZeMartelo

I need some clarification on the guidelines concerning fees to attend an event.

Theres going to be a local event soon and on the description page it mentions that there is a $5.00 fee to help cover the rental of the room and snacks.

Under the guidelines is this acceptable?

It has been interpreted in the past as okay if the nominal fees are truly to cover the expenses of the event. This post by Keystone says, in part:

It is OK to charge to cover the actual costs. If the picnic pavilion rental is $100 and 50 people attend, it's fine to charge $2 per person. If everyone is going into the maze and it costs $5, then they have to pay the $5. Disclose these fees on the cache page.

The way that I read it is that a small charge for rental fees and snacks is probably fine. Charging a little extra to turn the event into a bit of a fundraiser for your group, would not be fine.

As always it makes sense to run anything that is questionable by your reviewer ahead of time - if you email him/her with your plans before actually creating and submitting the cache listing, I think you'll find the conversation goes pretty smooth. Perfectly reasonable question to ask in the forums though - I think if you run it by your reviewer you'll be fine.

yes, charges that are intended to cover the costs are acceptable...charges intended to create a profit are not acceptable

we hosted a 10 year event and paid for the pavilion rental, offered free hotdogs/hamburgers and fixings and water

we also had a lot of stuff, kindly donated by many geocaching stores, and in an attempt to recover the costs we organized a raffle for the swag, but buying tickets for it was optional