Vertically challenged

graywolf5

I've been caching for a few months now and love it. Sometimes I come across a cache I can't reach. I'm not that short 5' 2" but still some of them are a stretch. Do any of you have any suggestions?? I don't want to have to carry a 2-step ladder although I have. Are there any geo tools any of you have come "up" with. Thanks!!

There are hiders that don't seem to consider people shorter than them, for sure. One tall local hider put out a series of caches this winter... and stood on snowbanks to hide them. Come summer, folks will need a stepladder to get them! That's life.

For tools, go to a hardware store and pick up a paint roller extension pole. Depending on what you get, it will run you anywhere from $3 (wood) to $30 (telescoping aluminum). Fashion a hook for the end out of heavy wire (clothes hanger) and attach it to the end. Might be overkill for some of those caches, but its a good tool to have. I actually have two that I can duct-tape together.

Edited by knowschad

I've heard others mention this exact same issue. Yep, there are caches high up there. Some you can reach with a tool, some I send my kids up to get, but some require that I come back with a better plan!

Keep in mind that whatever tool you use to retrieve the cache better be good enough to put it back.

Sometimes it helps when I know how tall the cacher is who hid a cache I'm looking for. It helps me know where to look!

I have one of those "gopher" type things, that they advertise for getting things out of high cupboards. Janitorial and custodial workers use them, too (call them "pickers"). Mine is the standard length, and I find it handy to reach into bushes to grab the cache. Also works to get a high one, if you can see it. That is a good point about putting it back.

A mirror on a stick is good for looking (also google inspection mirror). I like the milkcrate idea....just have to get one rated for the right bodyweight.

I'm just 5' and at the age of 68 not as flexible for stretching as I used to be. I have used a 2 step ladder, a milk crate, a 5 gal paint bucket, a coffee can to stand on (not all at once, lol). I also have two types of "reacher-grabber" tools, and have used my hiking pole to knock one down and push it back up (it was magnetic.) Sometimes it helps to bring along a taller person, or a small child you can lift up to do the reaching. I really appreciate it when the hider (or previous finders) mention that there might be an issue with the height of the hide.

in Seattle, a lot of folks say in their logs...I wish I was caching with Bob (I usually include his username, but wont here) today. He was very well known in the state and its code for wishing they had his height with them.

I hear you about the too short. In my car I have a grabber, pokey stick but if I know a cache has height issues in advance and its not too far from parking, will bring a small 2 step stepladder, just in case.

Edited by lamoracke

I had a friend who messed up her shoulder and back awhile back. Her doctor told her to get a reacher to help her grasp things without putting too much strain on her shoulder and back. It was a pretty cool device and it might help you reach those caches. You can get them at medical supply stores or on the internet. If you google disabilites reacher you will find several sites with pictures of this device.