The emulator has a Google Maps API key error and crashes

Al 7365

That's why I included the zip file both on the forum and through an external link. If both aren't working, we'll have difficulties as I'd rather not have to maintain two different links to files.

If it's not working, try it again in a few minutes. Something will work. Or let me know again and I'll give in and use the servers I'm using for Kit and the WF site.

That's why I included the zip file both on the forum and through an external link. If both aren't working, we'll have difficulties as I'd rather not have to maintain two different links to files.

If it's not working, try it again in a few minutes. Something will work. Or let me know again and I'll give in and use the servers I'm using for Kit and the WF site.

Thanks RF - worked this time.

I installed the Wherigo Builder and replaced the MAP file, but still I recieve an error in the Urwigo Emulator :(

Check to make sure you're using version 1.21. The update was pushed out very recently. (While Groundspeak's emulator is being used in Urwigo, a copy of it is packaged with Urwigo, so it's not actually using the emulator you patched.) For more information and updates to this, check out the Urwigo topic.

I installed the Wherigo Builder and replaced the MAP file, but still I recieve an error in the Urwigo Emulator :(

Check to make sure you're using version 1.21. The update was pushed out very recently. (While Groundspeak's emulator is being used in Urwigo, a copy of it is packaged with Urwigo, so it's not actually using the emulator you patched.) For more information and updates to this, check out the Urwigo topic.

This morning Urwigo updated while starting and now it works.

Hello,

i have problem with emulator in Wherigo builder in last month. If i play some cartridge, i received attached error. Could you help me? Thank you.

HUdyny

Did you follow the instructions and install the map fix? From your screen shot, I believe you have, but I need to confirm it because I've been down this road before and someone hadn't.

If you have installed the fix, which cartridge are you trying to run in the emulator? Are you using Urwigo or Groundspeak's builder? Does it happen for all cartridges or just that one (I can't tell due to the word choice)? When does it happen with the cartridge(s)? You'll have to help me reproduce your problem before I'm able to help you fix it as the emulator works for me when I'm using Groundspeak's builder.

Here's another try at converting the maps to Google Maps v3. I fixed the zooming from the context menu and I also made the map zoom to the proper level when first starting a game. I'll hide my other reply with the v3 map so people don't mistakenly download that. Let me know if this works out for you. If you see another error, please tell me what you were doing right before the error message popped up. I have the v3 map set up to be a little verbose with the errors so I can fix them as we encounter them.

Every time I update the files, I'll hide the previous post with the files and post all files and instructions in my new post. That way there won't be any confusion.

The files

Instructions: Choose one of the files attached:

map_v2.zip - I gave the original Google Maps v2 an API key, fixing this issue. At some point, Google will require everyone to be on at least v3 of their maps, so this will only work until then. But this file is at least guaranteed to work.

map_v3.zip - I converted the Google Maps to v3. The emulator injects script into the maps page, so I have some code set up to rewrite the injected script into v3. If it tries to pass something I haven't anticipated, I have it set to show an error. This will help if you continue to report the errors you see and what you're doing.

map_v3_fox_avatar.zip - This is the same as map_v3.zip, but I modified it for fun to include my volunteer avatar for the heck of it. Instead of showing David your cartridge, you can show me! I come with two hiking poles, ready to tackle any terrain, yet dressed spiffy to have a night out on the town. (In other words, I was having fun with the map file.)

The instructions

1. Download and extract the map.html file from the zip file attached to this reply.
  2. Go to your Program Files directory (or, if you have a 64-bit computer, Program Files (x86)).
  3. Go into folders Groundspeak, Wherigo, Builder. (For Urwigo, you may have to go elsewhere.)
  4. Copy everything you unzipped into this folder, replacing what's there.
  5. If you have the emulator open, close and relaunch it. You do not have to close Groundspeak's builder or Urwigo.

== == == == ==

Edit: I copied the Google Maps v2 zip file to this post and edited the file attachment explanation.

I hope your avitar becomes the most downloaded one.

Thanks for all the helpful people on here! I tried to load the map updates as described above( & was hoping to use the Fox avatar! :D) but must have done something wrong & still repetetively get an error message when zooming in on the map ( & no fox)... so I gave up. BUT then clicked on the link at the bottom of Ranger Fox's posts, for the Webwigo online emulator, and it works great! yay! Thanks :)

You downloaded the zip file, decompressed, and chose which one (v3 or v3_fox_avatar) to use. You checked out the readme file? You also moved the HTML file over? That's the important thing.

Just to double-check to see if Google Maps was updated in some way, I ran the emulator before posting. I can see the zoom control in the bottom-right and can click on that to zoom in and out. If you can explain a little bit more about what you're seeing and what you tried, I might be able to get you up and running.

=========

=========

Way off topic

=========

=========

Here's a bonus for the heck of it. Personally, I think it's fascinating to see what and how people choose an icon. I actually have three I can use for geocaching-related activities.

The main one I use in the forum is a photo I set up of a taxidermy fox with one of my Tilley hats on it. After getting the right camera angle, I cropped the photo and tried to apply some editing. Still, I didn't have full control over the lighting or much time to get the shot just right as I was in the back closet of a nature center in Tennessee during a Christmas event in 2009. I really regret not adding light on the underside of that hat. Anyway, it goes well with my handle, so I used it. And being the only one of the three I made by hand, it means a little more.

img_4334_200x133.jpgimg_4331_200x133.jpg

The avatar I included in the v3 map fix is the pixel one given to me by Groundspeak. All volunteers have a pixel icon. If it weren't for my hand-made one, I might use this. It shows me with my hat, hiking clothes, and my very precious Leki Makalu gold hiking poles. Seriously, I don't go many places without at least one of the pair. Unlike in the icon, they're always collapsed because I use them for bush whacking. When walking, I usually just carry it. It's a compliment to the terrain if I am forced to extend a pole, or even use both. I hardly ever extend them. Later, I learned this particular design of pole is rare and quite impossible to find these days. Neat!

lackey.gif

I do have one more I use every now and then in my emulator. I found it online somewhere. I never did find out where it was used. It's missing a hat, but having one might ruin part of the detail.

fox.gif

I'm not an artist, so I can't make my own icons outside photography. Shame. I'd love to have a few other ones to cycle through.

I brought up my install of Groundspeak's builder and ran a check. I cannot reproduce your issue. I'll need to ask some questions of you. Thank you, by the way, for posting a screen shot of the error message.

Do you see that URL in the screen shot you posted? Did you copy the map file from the zip file into that folder? I ask this because if you followed my instructions to the letter, you probably created some folders with the English names used in my instructions.

If you could, please, can you open in notepad the file referenced at the URL in your screen shot? (Right-click the file, choose "Open With", and find notepad in the list.) Please verify for me the file has "Google Maps v3 upgrade courtesy Ranger Fox" towards the top of the file. It should be close to the sixth line, so it's not that far down.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm starting out basic. Even before Wherigo came out, I've learned to start with the simple things just in case and build from there.

I brought up my install of Groundspeak's builder and ran a check. I cannot reproduce your issue. I'll need to ask some questions of you. Thank you, by the way, for posting a screen shot of the error message.

Do you see that URL in the screen shot you posted? Did you copy the map file from the zip file into that folder? I ask this because if you followed my instructions to the letter, you probably created some folders with the English names used in my instructions.

If you could, please, can you open in notepad the file referenced at the URL in your screen shot? (Right-click the file, choose "Open With", and find notepad in the list.) Please verify for me the file has "Google Maps v3 upgrade courtesy Ranger Fox" towards the top of the file. It should be close to the sixth line, so it's not that far down.

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm starting out basic. Even before Wherigo came out, I've learned to start with the simple things just in case and build from there.

Yes. I double checked that...

post-2203219-075436600 1458605031_thumb.jpg

After two and a half hours, I came up with a fix. Here are the instructions:

1) Download my map files file.

2) Unzip it.

3) Follow the directions in the readme file.

4) Use the files from the "map_v3_Internet_Explorer_6" folder instead.

I'll wait for IDILIO49 to confirm it works for him before celebrating.

==============

So, what was wrong? Glad you asked, considering how long it took me. At least half that time, though, was in trying to reproduce the issue. I eventually had to bring up a virtual machine with a clean install of Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6. I can't believe I still had that virtual machine lying around! It seems you'll only see this issue with an old version of IE, so you won't have to use this fix unless you're experiencing this problem. (Note: the builder's emulator uses IE in the background.) At first, it seemed like it was a random issue as there would be times I'd drag my avatar for a while until the problem occurred. Other times, it would happen right away.

It seems you can reproduce this by moving your mouse over a business's name. The script error occurs for all points of interest and transit symbols. Landscape, road, administrative, and water symbols seem to be fine. So, for the fix, I told Google Maps not to show those markers. I'm leaving them present in the other map fix files because it might be convenient to know what building is what while you're making your cartridge.

As I require a little more than Internet Explorer 6 for Wherigo\\kit, I will not fix it there.

2) Unzip it.

==============

So, what was wrong? Glad you asked, considering how long it took me. At least half that time, though, was in trying to reproduce the issue. I eventually had to bring up a virtual machine with a clean install of Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6. I can't believe I still had that virtual machine lying around! It seems you'll only see this issue with an old version of IE, so you won't have to use this fix unless you're experiencing this problem. (Note: the builder's emulator uses IE in the background.) At first, it seemed like it was a random issue as there would be times I'd drag my avatar for a while until the problem occurred. Other times, it would happen right away.

It seems you can reproduce this by moving your mouse over a business's name. The script error occurs for all points of interest and transit symbols. Landscape, road, administrative, and water symbols seem to be fine. So, for the fix, I told Google Maps not to show those markers. I'm leaving them present in the other map fix files because it might be convenient to know what building is what while you're making your cartridge.

As I require a little more than Internet Explorer 6 for Wherigo\\kit, I will not fix it there.

PERFECT!!!

It is working without any issue.

You are the best, Ranger Fox!

I appreciate your support on this and the time spent, even after we understood this should be related to old version of IE (yes, I only use chrome).

Take a drink on my account!

It's very nice to see someone with your spirit and interest to have something correct! Congratulations!

Thanks again!

2) Unzip it.

==============

Now works my Builder again.

Thanks from Germany

I think I got the saving issue figured out. I am still have trouble with the maps. I have downloaded map-fixes and map_v3 opened the zip folder. copied the file to Wherigo Builder folder . When I open the map when trying to make a new zone I get error message every time. " TerraServer Draw TerraMap Error <there was an Error using TerraServer The operation has timed out> " Any help would be greatful. I can click on the map file inside the builder folder and it opens just fine in Explorer. Have the Emulator working just fine. Can save. Its whenI try to look in the maps under ZONES.

Edited by Cache Control

Here's the quick fix version. I'm still working on migrating the code over to Google Maps v3.

I also called Groundspeak. Their main Google Maps person won't be back until next week and all the developers were at an off-site meeting. I said what needed to be done (and added the 64-bit bug fix) and what it would take to do it. I need Groundspeak to recreate their installer package (I suppose I could also make one myself if it came down to it) and put the new version of the builder up on Wherigo.com, where it needs to be.

Anyway, here are your instructions for the quick fix. The final fix will be the same.

1. Download and extract the map.html file from the zip file attached to this reply.
  2. Go to your Program Files directory (or, if you have a 64-bit computer, Program Files (x86)).
  3. Go into Groundspeak\Wherigo\Builder.
  4. Copy the map.html file into this folder, replacing what's there.
  5. Smile and keep creating Wherigo cartridges. Don't forget to install the final patch, then Groundspeak's updated builder when they release it.

I'm trying to download this fix, and its keeps saying server error. I'm hoping its a one off and that the fix is still available?

Thank you for all your work Ranger Fox

Edited by becknmonts

Here's the quick fix version. I'm still working on migrating the code over to Google Maps v3.

I also called Groundspeak. Their main Google Maps person won't be back until next week and all the developers were at an off-site meeting. I said what needed to be done (and added the 64-bit bug fix) and what it would take to do it. I need Groundspeak to recreate their installer package (I suppose I could also make one myself if it came down to it) and put the new version of the builder up on Wherigo.com, where it needs to be.

Anyway, here are your instructions for the quick fix. The final fix will be the same.

3. Go into Groundspeak\Wherigo\Builder.
  4. Copy the map.html file into this folder, replacing what's there.
  5. Smile and keep creating Wherigo cartridges. Don't forget to install the final patch, then Groundspeak's updated builder when they release it.

I'm trying to download this fix, and its keeps saying server error. I'm hoping its a one off and that the fix is still available?

Thank you for all your work Ranger Fox

See post #20 for the up-to-date downloads.

I try to work with the emulator again today but i get messages like Google is undefined file:///C:/Program%20Files/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/map.html?w=771&h=740

and more like this messages. It seems that every few years this happens and that we then canoot work anymore with the original builder i feel it might be again something with the API key.

I still use a very old Windows XP machine for this specific (commercial cartridge) because i found when i open this cartridge on my current Windows PC it won't open at all thats why i use this old machine for it. It used to work for me but it does'nt right now.

Maybe Fox has an idea what to do? I allready tried the above method but it did not solve the problem.

Greetz Ronald aka Kapitein Haak

The fix I put in for Google Maps is still working. It's tied to my personal account's API key, meaning I'm footing the bill for usage overages.

Could we try getting the Builder and emulator working on your current computer instead? Windows XP only has up to a certain version of Internet Explorer, which is what the emulator uses to display Google Maps. (Since it's an HTML file, I was originally able to make the fix by upgrading the maps API, key, and code used to display things in the emulator.) It's quite possible support for Google Maps on Windows XP is reaching the end of its life.

So let's focus on your new computer. Most new computers are 64-bit. If you see a folder called "Program Files (x86)" in your c:\ drive, it's 64-bit. If that's the case, have you also done the 64-bit fix? That's usually why you can't open cartridges.

There's also the option of running Urwigo.

(My goodness. I keep thinking I should see if I can create a new installer package for the builder that includes all these fixes.)

Hi Ranger Fox.

I now got the builder to work on my newer (one of these days i will need a new laptop :)) Windows 7 machine thx to the fix you posted, did'nt know it was there, so thx for posting it. I had to do the API fix from this post as well and now it is working smoothly again.

Than you again for your good work here, you allready saved me before, i owe you.

Thx and grtz Ronald aka Kapitein Haak

On 1/29/2011 at 8:48 AM, Al 7365 said:

This is what it states under details: See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.BadImageFormatException: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007000B)

at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesEngine.ZonesEngineDll.InitializeEngine(Byte[] szDeviceId, Byte[] szLogFolder)

at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesEngine.ZonesEngineDll.InitializeEngine(String strDeviceId, String strLogFolder)

at Player.frmMain.InitEngine()

at Player.frmMain.Init()

at Player.frmMain..ctor()

at ZonesAuthor.frmMain.menuCartridgeEmulator_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.ShortcutClick()

at System.Windows.Forms.Menu.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessCmdKey(Message& msg, Keys keyData)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessMessage(Message& msg)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PreProcessControlMessageInternal(Control target, Message& msg)

at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.PreTranslateMessage(MSG& msg)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4952 (win7RTMGDR.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll

----------------------------------------

WherigoBuilder

Assembly Version: 2.0.5129.5086

Win32 Version: 2.0.5129.5086

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/WherigoBuilder.exe

System.Windows.Forms

Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll

System

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

System.Drawing

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

System.Xml

CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

ZonesFramework

Assembly Version: 1.0.2104.4260

Win32 Version: 1.0.2104.4260

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/ZonesFramework.DLL

Player

Assembly Version: 1.0.3072.27804

Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/Player.DLL

GeoFramework.Gps

Assembly Version: 2.3.3600.13

Win32 Version: 2.3.3600.13

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/GeoFramework.Gps.DLL

GeoFramework

Assembly Version: 1.4.3600.3

Win32 Version: 1.4.3600.3

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/GeoFramework.DLL

Microsoft.WindowsCE.Forms

Win32 Version: 2.0.7045.00

CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Groundspeak/Wherigo/Builder/Microsoft.WindowsCE.Forms.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************

To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this

application or computer (machine.config) must have the

jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.

The application must also be compiled with debugging

enabled.

For example:

<configuration>

<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />

</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception

will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer

rather than be handled by this dialog box.

And I find out the system vision.

The Problem was discussed here: 

They also found a solution 

Is there an updated map fix for the official builder? I used the last patch while ago but now I am getting this error:

image.png.90107f784e7058addee969fb6f052f54.png

Apologies if this was answered elsewhere. I have dug and just kept finding the links to Ranger Fox's map fix which is no longer available on his  website.

Don't you love it when your web host changes your A name to a parked domain instead of hosting from where you were hosting for the past decade?  Sigh.  I'm not hosting much on that site, but I do need it hosted for what I'm using it for.

Try downloading the zip file again.

This on top of discovering yesterday night that a violent storm blew through the area and surged through the cable line, frying my trunk router and two ports on my NAS, not to mention resetting my public IP address.  Well, I can't host from my NAS at the moment until I receive another trunk router and set up NAT.  There are times when you just don't need things happening.  Oh, and I'm not hosting the files in that link from my house.