What happened to the beta maps?

team tisri

I just checked the *NEW* Beta maps and found that the OpenStreet and OpenCycle maps have disappeared from the options. And with it the whole point of using the beta maps disappeared for me.

If I can't identify the caches I've already found and can't see the caches overlaid on a map showing footpaths and cycle paths, as far as I'm concerned GS might as well scrap the beta maps completely.

I can get around the problem by downloading ever-more pocket queries and putting them into the OpenStreetMap module in MapSource, it just seems mindboggling that GS are determined to waste their own bandwidth.

Well the OpenStreet and OpenCycle maps are back. There's also the option to filter by cache type and found/my hides :) However :-

•  
  • There seem to be hardly any caches on the map.
  • Selecting any single filter seems to hide all caches.
  • It's incredibly slow.

:(

I'm hoping this is a teething problem as the site has only just come back online, so I'm hoping it will be working as expected by tomorrow ;)

It all seems to be working again for me, although why it has to drop all the caches from the map and then put them back on when I change the filters is something of a mystery. Must be something to do with graphics layers or some such.

It's a little sluggish when the map is zoomed way out, but then at that kind of zoom all I want is an overview rather than lots and lots of detail.

Goodness knows what's happening for me then!

I can only see caches when I am zoomed all the way out to 20 mile to 1 inch which while pretty is also useless. Playing around with the filters doesn't help either.

Update - the site is just soo sloooooooooooooooow that it's taking a very long time to load up and it seems to be doing it a zoom level at a time. Sitll not enough detail after 15 min of loading.

Edited by Misty_Minou