3 state run

DonB

We are planning a three state caching run for late April. We will be picking up I-90 around Wisconsin Dells and going to Fargo ND on the first leg, then to Sioux Falls SD via I-29, and from there back to Wisconsin on I-90. I am going to do about four PQs searching two miles on either side of the interstates. Can anyone living in those areas recommend any outstanding caches that we shouldn't miss?

We are planning a three state caching run for late April. We will be picking up I-90 around Wisconsin Dells and going to Fargo ND on the first leg, then to Sioux Falls SD via I-29, and from there back to Wisconsin on I-90. I am going to do about four PQs searching two miles on either side of the interstates. Can anyone living in those areas recommend any outstanding caches that we shouldn't miss?

As for Sioux Falls, anything in Falls Park. If you haven't been there before, that is the falls that the town name comes from, and they have turned it into an amazing park. If you need WiFi, the park has a little restaraunt near the falls with excellent signal.

Oh my goodness where can I begin? I live in the east metro of the Twin Cities, so I can reccomend a few areas...

For starters, check out this series near Knapp, WI. It is free and open to the public and a very strenuous 8 hour hiking tour to get all of them.

If you are looking for a hiking power trail, check out this series that starts in Woodville, WI. Some sections of the trail are washed out due to some flooding we had last August, but the entire trail is still open and flat and easy to tackle.

This was a fun little series I did back in September. It only took about 2 or 3 hours. The caches are hidden around a mountain biking course, but hikers are welcome as well. Lots of up and down hiking...

This puzzle cache is probably the one that got us hooked on caching. It took a couple hours but it was a ton of fun.

This cache is easily the coolest cache we've ever found. It's easy to get to (once you find the parking) and can be done in less than 30 minutes.

I'm sure there are a few more locals that will have a few more suggestions as well.

Team Dennis' suggestions are right-on, particularly The Sword and The Stone (the last one he mentioned). The location is nothing special, but the container is one that you will remember for a long time.

The Woodville, WI power trail is probably a bit much for anyone on vacation, but if you have bicycles along, it would be much more practical. Its an old railroad bed turned into a trail that goes through rural Wisconsin farmland.

I can't help a whole lot but if you travel a little west of Fargo there's a neat cemetery in Buffalo that has a cache at it http://coord.info/GC1ZQCW. Also even more west there another neato area http://coord.info/GCQ30H.

Don't know how far out of fargo you want to go. There's a also a virtual in that area.

Anyhow, my friend and I didn't stop in Fargo proper for anything more to eat as we don't absolutely love caching in a city. But I see there's a bunch of caches around there to go to.

I was thinking you wanted any 3 state run, and I would have recommended Rhode Island, Mass., and Conn., which you could do in like 30 minutes. :anibad: I hope you'll get some more productive answers, and not have your thread moved to the Great Plains forum, which has like 5 posts in the last 6 months. But I have a feeling it will go there. Have you tried any regional Geocaching forums?

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I was thinking you wanted any 3 state run, and I would have recommended Rhode Island, Mass., and Conn., which you could do in like 30 minutes. :anibad: I hope you'll get some more productive answers, and not have your thread moved to the Great Plains forum, which has like 5 posts in the last 6 months. But I have a feeling it will go there. Have you tried any regional Geocaching forums?

I was thinking about a multi state run awhile back for someplace I might be able to travel to if I saw a dip in airfares and could schedule a long weekend just to go find some geocaches in several states. I was thinking of flying into someplace like Memphis where it looks like one could fairly quickly grab caches in Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky and Illinois.

I was thinking you wanted any 3 state run, and I would have recommended Rhode Island, Mass., and Conn., which you could do in like 30 minutes. :anibad:

NY, VT & MA you can do very quickly as well. And with just a little effort, 7 caches in a day is easily doable in that same region.

Did you mean I-94 to Fargo and then south on I-29 and then back via I-90?

I am going to a conference in Duluth, MN in May and plan to pick up 4 new states. (MN, WI, ND, SD)

Looks like I will be covering some of the same ground as you. I'm going to take one day to drive from Duluth to Fargo, spend the night there, then drive south on 29 just across the border and drive secondary roads back to Duluth. I have gotten a lot of good suggestions and will soon open a public bookmark list.

Perhaps you can do the same as you find likely candidates for your trip?

If you're going up I-94, I recommend:

"Jeep"ers Creepers #7 Old Amoco nature trail. Wisconsin Dells. Read the logs, though. It may have deteriorated since I found it.

I-90 East/West Wayside. Camp Douglas. Interesting geological formation, featured on all the county's tourism promotions.

Schizo-Light. A virtual, if you happen to be in Tomah after dark.

Officers Scenic Cache.

ECCC – Where Stones Hit Targets. Eau Claire.

KaBOOM! Baldwin.

Edgewater. St. Cloud.

Happy Birthday Saint John's Travel Bug Hotel. Collegeville.

In Fargo, The Case Threshing Company.

In Sioux Falls, both the earthcaches in Falls Park are interesting.

Did you mean I-94 to Fargo and then south on I-29 and then back via I-90?

I am going to a conference in Duluth, MN in May and plan to pick up 4 new states. (MN, WI, ND, SD)

Looks like I will be covering some of the same ground as you. I'm going to take one day to drive from Duluth to Fargo, spend the night there, then drive south on 29 just across the border and drive secondary roads back to Duluth. I have gotten a lot of good suggestions and will soon open a public bookmark list.

Perhaps you can do the same as you find likely candidates for your trip?

It is I-90 where we pick it up, then it splits into I-90 and I-94 I guess I should have been more clear on that. That is the only time I can get away and my son can only be gone for four days so I am picking caches close to the interstate and trying to get any TB motels. I broke the trip into four parts and have over a hundred caches bookmarked.I don't plan on getting them all, but I would rather have too many then not enough. I will make them public before you go.