can hints be put on GPS 60csx

drunkinone

It looks like you double posted (probably a time out on your machine). You should go to the other one and ask it to be closed.

As to adding hints the best way I have heard of on the 60 series is using GSAK.

The 60 series doesn't support the paperless features (the 62 does) but GSAK has a macro that will put the first 30 characters of the hint into the note field on your 60.

It looks like you double posted (probably a time out on your machine). You should go to the other one and ask it to be closed.

As to adding hints the best way I have heard of on the 60 series is using GSAK.

The 60 series doesn't support the paperless features (the 62 does) but GSAK has a macro that will put the first 30 characters of the hint into the note field on your 60.

Worth a read of the GSAK forums...

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=8932 is the macro that will put part of the cache page into a POI file.

I used to load caches as a GPX file. AND then load them again as POI files.

Cache using the GPX files, if you need to read the description, hit 'nearest POI' to bring up the cache info. Only drawback is caches with long descriptions... Can lead to several pages to read! :huh:

You will need the Garmin POI loader to load the info into your GPS.

(I no longer use the macro as I have an Oregon to do paperless caching...But prefer the 60CSx :D

When I had my 60csx I found in the forums what I think was called gsak string. It had to do with changing the way your caches names and descriptions loaded onto the gps. It wouldn't alway give the full hint but with most hints you could get most of it. When I hit send to gps in gsak on the setup page for my 60 (I had it set up for 3 different gps units so 3 different settings) it would show under waypoint name %smart name (I think, doing this from memory) and under waypoint description I put %typ1%con1-%hint That was my gsak string for that unit. With that setting I got the type of cache, type of container and then a dash and the hint. Find in gsak (I think) the gsak string and then you can make your own settings. Worked very well.

First off, to get any more info you will have to get the files as .gpx files and not .loc files.

Actually you can do it using EasyGPS but are limited to 30 characters in the note field. Go to edit/preferences/geocaching and in the second field change it to the decrypted hint selection. You loose the cache name but can change the first field but are limited to 15 characters. if either of those goes over the limits (30 & 15) it will get cut off.

With GSAK and Garmins POI loader (free)and the macro you are limited to 80 characters and if you go over that it will create another POI. Take a look at the link Bear and Ragged posted and you can see just what things will look like. I also did as them and just sent the hints and loaded the caches the regular way so if you need the hint its there.

You can also use the Special Tags way & GSAK as mentioned but the 30 character limit comes into play.

There are a lot of people that have done or doing it so there is always help available on the boards.

Edited by IBcrashen

You can do it using EasyGps, you only get the first 30 characters I think. There is another thread here that tells how to do it. You go to "select your GPS", then to "Geocaching", then to "comment", and pick "hint". I'm typing this from memory, so you may have to tweak it a bit on the exact words in each pick.

There are two topics by you with this title. This one has responses the other doesn't and has dropped down a little. When I first looked they were one behind the other. This happens when you post and don't get a response so hit post again.

Go to your profile, click "your public profile" and then "forum posts by this user" and you will see you have started two topics with the same name. Nothing to get worried about because it happens (this forum has been notoriously slow to respond so double posts happen). One started at 7:47 and the other a few minutes later.

You can do it using EasyGps, you only get the first 30 characters I think. There is another thread here that tells how to do it. You go to "select your GPS", then to "Geocaching", then to "comment", and pick "hint". I'm typing this from memory, so you may have to tweak it a bit on the exact words in each pick.

Click on edit, go to preferences, highlight the gps off the list of gps receivers you have registered with EasyGPS, then click the geocaching button to chose how you want to send the caches to the gps.