Historical & Literary Caches

sexyboo

I appreciate the presence of Earthcaches as a means of creating informational and educational caches that don't necessarily involve a physical cache; however, it bothers me that we don't have the ability to add other caches of this nature for other educational subject matters. Indeed, I live in an area ripe with history (don't we all?) so historical caches would be a great addition to the geo community. By the same notion, literature, archeology, and other subjects would be great arenas for non-physical caches. Of course, some criteria for posting these would be necessary to avoid the early problems with virtual caches.

Edited by sexyboo

Earth Caches are approved by a 3rd party (some geologists or something). So when someone finds a 3rd party that wants to do that sort of work for history, maybe Groundspeak will set something up.

The other issue is that history is often very controversial. So you kind of have the same situation a the "No Agenda" rule. How do you make sure that someones prospective on history is not promoting an agenda.

Edited by Andronicus

I love caching and history - but as Andronicus points out, earthcaches were incorporated into this game when the Geological Society of America (GSA) came to Groundspeak with a proposal that included a commitment to staff and administration. Although I think the model of an educational focus would work with other disciplines, as far as I know, no comparable group has approached Groundspeak with a similar proposal.

Groundspeak has stated that it will bring back virtuals in a way that will satisfy various caching factions. That seems like a Herculean task to me, but perhaps it will leave room for caches in historical areas, particularly those in areas where traditional caching is not allowed. I can think of a sites around where I live that have a fascinating history, but the NPS removed the traditional caches that first brought me to them.

In any event, as briansnat points out, many of us have wanted to see a historical attribute. This seems flexible enough to accommodate everyone from the Howard Zinn school to those who like Confederate monuments. Perhaps someday . . . .

Who would vet historical caches for accuracy? I have a cache near a local cemetery which has an interesting history according to local folklore. Is it true? I have no idea.

And whose version of history do we accept? The oft-told story of the Pilgrims landing at Plymouth Rock? When European migrants far preceded them at Jamestown and Spanish at St. Augustine and besides, they didn't land at Plymouth Rock at all!

Can you see how historical caches would lead to angst pretty quickly when we don't even know our true history?

Maybe a better cache type should be set up for locations where they got history wrong! Use books like Lies Across America: What Our Historic Sites Get Wrong and the like to set history back on course.

But since historians are never going to agree we'll likely never know our true history.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I love historic caches. I don't think we need a new category, but I would like to see an attribute for them. I've asked several times over the years, but no dice.

I think having a Forum category for history would be a good precursor to getting a attribute for them. It would demonstrate to the powers

that be that it would make a viable attribute.

Also the forum would allow history-geocachers the ability to increase this version of this sport.

Can you advocate a separate forum for history-caching here? Right now I easily lose the topic threads on history because of the traffic and volume from other messages.

Also, if it gets implemented would be happy to add a link to that forum to my blog at www.historycaching.us

-RKO

I love historic caches. I don't think we need a new category, but I would like to see an attribute for them. I've asked several times over the years, but no dice.

I think having a Forum category for history would be a good precursor to getting a attribute for them. It would demonstrate to the powers

Also the forum would allow history-geocachers the ability to increase this version of this sport.

Can you advocate a separate forum for history-caching here? Right now I easily lose the topic threads on history because of the traffic and volume from other messages.

Also, if it gets implemented would be happy to add a link to that forum to my blog at www.historycaching.us

-RKO

That would be a good idea. I love historical caches.

Is it difficult to get a new forum set up here? Who do we contact?

-RKO

That would be a good idea. I love historical caches.

Earthcaches were incorporated into this game when the Geological Society of America (GSA) came to Groundspeak with a proposal that included a commitment to staff and administration. Although I think the model of an educational focus would work with other disciplines, as far as I know, no comparable group has approached Groundspeak with a similar proposal.

Maybe we should start petitioning the American Historical Association or a similar organization to get involved?

I agree. Why is it, do you believe, that we can't have a Historical Value attribute? We have a beacon attribute and Wherigo caches, which, IMO, are far less valuable than history.

I've created a bookmark for historic caches in my area. I don't have very many caches on it yet, though. I need to go through all of my finds.

I have never created a bookmark, I do have quite a few history caches listed, and there are several others in our area. I'm going to give the bookmark a try. It is too cold and we have snow on the ground, so I have just been Waymarking lately.