New cache idea - custom weatherproofing?

knowltonGeo

I decided to try making a new cache using one of those "fake rock" hide-a-key things.

The bottom of the fake rock is just a rectangular opening that is 1" x 3", and maybe an inch or two deep.

I am wondering if those of you who have experience making your own caches can give me some tips / advice / etc. about how I might make a waterproof seal along with a way to plug it.

Thanks,

Tom

I think your best bet is to get a waterproof container (e.g., a Bison tube) and put it in the cavity of the fake rock. I've seen that done before (even before Groundspeak started selling fake rock caches like that), and it works well. The hide-a-key fake rocks themselves just aren't designed to keep moisture out.

I decided to try making a new cache using one of those "fake rock" hide-a-key things.

The bottom of the fake rock is just a rectangular opening that is 1" x 3", and maybe an inch or two deep.

I am wondering if those of you who have experience making your own caches can give me some tips / advice / etc. about how I might make a waterproof seal along with a way to plug it.

Thanks,

Tom

I've seen some where everything was put in a zip lock plastic bag and then the bag was placed in the cache. This way the goodies were protected.

Zip locks do not hold up very well. Even in the best environment and handled with care they eventually fail to close and/or get holes in them. In most situations they just trap moisture. If the container leaks you should avoid it.

I have no technical skill with machines so I just camo waterproof matchstick containers or bisons to the environment. But if you have the tools, time and skill a lot can be done to integrate a great container like the bison tube into more natural objects.

tips / advice / etc. about how I might make a waterproof seal along with a way to plug it.
Doesn't that have a little sliding door? I've seen similar rocks, and they often have rather wet log sheets. The design of a plastic rock against the ground makes constant condensation in the space for the key (which isn't a huge issue when hiding only a key). Extra containers inside your container (as mentioned) are good for keeping things dry, but create new issues.

This is a maintenance kind of cache. If you don't check on it regularly, it will be a mess. You can make or buy little logs on waterproof paper, use a properly-sized ziplock bag, and plan to maintain it. Or just put it out, and see how it goes.

Edited by kunarion

Zip locks do not hold up very well. Even in the best environment and handled with care they eventually fail to close and/or get holes in them. In most situations they just trap moisture. If the container leaks you should avoid it.

I have no technical skill with machines so I just camo waterproof matchstick containers or bisons to the environment. But if you have the tools, time and skill a lot can be done to integrate a great container like the bison tube into more natural objects.

bison tubes?

bison tubes?
That's good for a free-form, unusual hide (rocks included). You could glue the matchtube or bison tube vertically under the object, and press it into mulch or loose dirt. I've tried a magnetic setup, where the tube (laying flat against the object) would be detachable, but haven't placed it. That design just seemd a little too iffy to me.

smallMain_2_21.jpg

Edited by kunarion
bison tubes?
That's good for a free-form, unusual hide (rocks included). You could glue the matchtube or bison tube vertically under the object, and press it into mulch or loose dirt. I've tried a magnetic setup, where the tube (laying flat against the object) would be detachable, but haven't placed it. That design just seemd a little too iffy to me.

smallMain_2_21.jpg

I like this idea.

$7

Do they come any cheaper (while still being waterproof)?

I've seen the small Bison tubes for less than $3.

The thing to watch out for if you buy an off-brand capsule is that the threads work well. You can assume that the O-ring is junk on a cheap capsule, but you can buy several O-rings for $1 at the local hardware store. But if the threads are poorly machined, there's nothing you can do to fix it.

Thanks,

Tom

If you've got 1"x3" of room, you might want to go with a waterproof match container. They're cheaper ($1 or less) and bigger than a bison, and will work just as well.

Build your own fake rock. Start with a waterproof container and mold your own rock around it. One of my favs was one of the large round ziploc screw-top containers that had a waterproof plaster rock molded around it leaving just the opening of the container exposed on the bottom of the rock. The guy embedded real pea gravel into the outside of the plaster. When set on a rocky hillside, it simply disappeared into the terrain. Took me several visits to the site and hours of searching before I found that cache. And it turned out that the coordinates were right on. In the end, I only found it when I tripped over this large rock and it fell over, exposing the lid to the cache contained inside. I was amazed at how realistic this rock was. And judging by the size, you'd think it was at least 50-pound rock, but with the lightweight plaster it was less than 10. I've wanted to do something similar with an ammo can. Yet another project on my to-do list.