definition of BUCKMEADOWS

calamitystrange

i am a newbie. my experience thus far has led me to believe that a "buckmeadows" container refers to some sort of cache container that is literally made to look as though it belongs where it is- even if it's in plain sight. locks, bolts, parts of machinery, etc. however, i cannot find anywhere to confirm this- and have gone on to find caches hidden in the woods... made to look like they are "naturally occurring" (a fake rock for instance).

this term is not listed on the terminology page.

i have just hidden my second cache- which is in a wooded area and is well camouflaged "to look like it is naturally occurring" should i say that it is a buckmeadows cache?

can someone enlighten me?? thanks.

i am a newbie. my experience thus far has led me to believe that a "buckmeadows" container refers to some sort of cache container that is literally made to look as though it belongs where it is- even if it's in plain sight. locks, bolts, parts of machinery, etc. however, i cannot find anywhere to confirm this- and have gone on to find caches hidden in the woods... made to look like they are "naturally occurring" (a fake rock for instance).

this term is not listed on the terminology page.

i have just hidden my second cache- which is in a wooded area and is well camouflaged "to look like it is naturally occurring" should i say that it is a buckmeadows cache?

can someone enlighten me?? thanks.

It's not a term I have ever heard before ..................

Buckmeadows seems to be a cacher in your general area with 90+ hides, maybe it's something of a trademark hide for him which has caught on localy ?

thanks for replying:

here are four examples that all use the term.

each of these (i've found) are in a container type that has been made to look like it either belongs there, or is "part of" whatever it is in hidden in or on. thus, i assumed that's what buckmeadows meant. not "camo tape" or a tiny hidden thing. not hidden in a tree.... but rather hard to find- because it is often right there in front of you - - a bolt, a lock, a piece of garbage- but you don't recognize it as a cache container. does that make sense?

FROM BLAME BUCKMEADOWS:

" but otherwise.....blame buckmeadows for this UDDERly evil HIDE!!"

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...0f-afeb95997e50

FROM BELLA'S OPPOSABLE THUMBS:

"You will need your opposable thumbs to find this tricky buckmeadows container."

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...da-352e1f38fd17

FROM THE TIRED OYSTER:

"Bring your get-up-and-go here since this buckmeadows container is one tough shell to shuck."

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...28-b7fab6ed9bad

FROM FUN GUY:

"You are looking for a sneaky buckmeadows container."

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ce-1a9be168f725

Looks like buckmeadows is a cacher who designs "non-standard" containers that match the surroundings. So if the container's given to a friend to hide in another area, maybe the cachers won't have seen that style before. It's a secret, it's tricky. Even if you write to people, they may be reluctant to tell you all about it.

Don't assume you know what a buckmeadows cache looks like (as it applies to describing a hide). You could call yours a "non-standard container". Or better yet, call it a "calamitystrange style hide". :laughing:

Edited by kunarion

ok- MAYBE -but i assume that you noticed NONE of those hides i linked above are hidden by a person named buckmeadows. and the person that IS named buckmeadows does not have any hides near this area- he is in southern california. ??

Ahh but the first three are set by one person "Evil Cow Pie" and the last by her hiding partner "Dark Zen". Her other hiding partners include "buckmeadows"

(The name that appears on a cache as the owner may not be the "real" cacher's name).

Edited by Huntleigh

I have personal knowledge that Buckmeadows does in fact exist and is a cacher in the Visalia, CA area. He reportedly works out of a totally secret laboratory where he manufactures truly evil cache containers during the dead of the night.

I was going to be the FTF at one of his hides about two years ago, and I think I saw him slinking away. It was truly an awful sight to behold. The man stands over seven feet tall but weighs only about 125 lbs. He was wearing a dark cloak reminiscent of Dracula and also wearing a fedora style hat. He was rather hunched over and walked with a pronounced limp. He wore no shoes and I was able to see moss growing on his feet. The stench coming from his feet was horrendous.

I was so overcome with fright that I left without looking for the cache and have never searched for one of his caches again, lest I come face to face with him/it.

From my experience, any cache that has a Buckmeadows container should be avoided at all costs. I still have nightmares!!

All kidding aside, Buckmeadows is well known in the Vislia area for his skill in manufacturing unusual and amazing cache containers. I'm proud to be associated with him.

Tom

Edited by tom&si