Help with planning a route

loopyhoop

Hi there,

We are relatively new to this Cahing game and i really need help in working out how i plan a route (and print it out).

We were out the other day hunting for a set of 15 or so caches but got completely dis heartened by the fact we walked down a whopping big hill and then had to come directly back up, only to need to go back down again (we gave up). I saw other cachers in the area with home printed maps of the circular area, but i have no idea how they made it? and it would be a really big help if someone could explain how to make one in laymans terms.

I've had a look at the plan your route thingy but it seems a tad gobbledey gook to me <_< ,

So any help would be extremely appreciated :)

Thanks in advance for any willing helper out there :rolleyes:

Don't know if I'm missing something here, but I usually go to the map at the bottom of the cache page, near the logs, and click on the little cache icon. That brings up a 'Find nearby caches' dialogue box, which, when clicked, will take you to a new page.

All the nearby caches are shown along with the roads. I usually print that out if I need a map of the area.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Barberanne

I use this which you can upload waypoints to.

http://wtp2.appspot.com/wheresthepath.htm

you can upload either gpx or kml, I use gpx from GSAK, but Im sure it would work with google maps as well.

This site works very well but there is a little catch. It uses OS map data 'live' and there is a limit to the amount that can be downloaded. You can sometimes end up with an error message saying it is unable to display the map.

You can also display caches in Google Earth. This link explains how - please read it carefully as there is a limit to the amount of caches you can view per day.

Thank you for the comments about my resource site - much appreciated <_<

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books