Bug Trade and Virtuals?

Quixotic Prof

Affirm. I've done that a few times myself. Also rescued a bug JEEP which was logged as being in a virtual but was placed in a real cache, Southernmost, which was then archived. Luckily I had an idea where it was so I got the bug and got to log an archvied cache.

quote:
Originally posted by longwalker:

The cacher that dropped it at the virtual cache may have been the same cacher that picked it up from the virtual cache. The cacher may have done this to show where the bug has been or to just add miles to it's travels.

Yeah, what longwalker said. I've done that occasionally when I've been on vacation and hit a virtual. Dropped the bug and then picked it back up again to record some miles for the bug before it's actual drop off.

It works especially well if you're going in a circular route and plan on dropping the bug off at your last point of contact. Instead of getting a short mileage boost, the bug will follow your circular route and get more miles and little better history.

Webfoot frog.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore. Wish I'd brought my GPSr with me this time.

I've done it as a trade. I've taken a few bugs and given a few bugs with other cachers. By trading at a virtual and not just "Grabbing" the bug it still gets the mileage. wW usually choose a Virtural that is close by so as not to log to many miles.

People trade bugs at regular caches too, but there tends to be less "watches" on the virtuals. That way you don't get some other cacher dashing over to collect bugs that are already gone.

JeeperDad

(on my way to another drive-by cache)

I know the cacher's you're talking about....

Notice that the post you're reffering to was a "Note" not an "I Have it"

Several of the avid bug hunters in this area have 'teamed up' and will occasionally have a gathering where they see who can help out with the mission on bugs that any of the others have. (This usually coincides with some kind of Geocaching event) If they can't help the bug out, they don't take it, but they will post the kind of 'I saw it' note that you were talking about....

The temporarily-unavailable cache you're talking about (which I'm guessing you can't see the detail on since it's members-only) says on the description page:

"8/10/03 -- Attention Bug owners -- your Travel Bug is being dropped here for mileage only. We just got back from a long road trip and are sorting out four different geocachers Travel bugs. Your bug is safe, in Minnesota and in good hands - never fear, it will move through here pretty soon.

If your Travel bug is headed to CA, WA, OR, AK - it will be going to the west coast with "John E Cache" on August 21st - please be patient while your TBug sits here (sorry).

Cache is temporarily unavailable

I will be re-working it into a bug hotel.

Any bug listed is just here for trading purposes."

----------------------------------

MnGCA-button.gif

----------------------------------

"The number you have reached is imaginary, please rotate your phone 90 degrees and try again... <beeeeep>"