Logging Multiple Tries

The Elder Bugs

Hello, I'm a newbie & have a question about logging my attempts. If I search for a cache & log it as "Did not find", am I supposed to update that 1st attempt to "Found" or am I supposed to create a new "Found" log entry? If I come across a very difficult cache & it takes me several tries to find it, should I log each try as a "Did not find" or just edit & add new notes to the first log?

Also, I am considering changing my username because my whole family does this together, so I thought that we should have a team name. (I'm just the organizer/secretary) If I change my username, should I go back to all of my logs & edit with a "previously known as..." or "signed paper log as..." (I hope that makes sense!)

Thanks in advance!

Hello, I'm a newbie & have a question about logging my attempts. If I search for a cache & log it as "Did not find", am I supposed to update that 1st attempt to "Found" or am I supposed to create a new "Found" log entry? If I come across a very difficult cache & it takes me several tries to find it, should I log each try as a "Did not find" or just edit & add new notes to the first log?

Also, I am considering changing my username because my whole family does this together, so I thought that we should have a team name. (I'm just the organizer/secretary) If I change my username, should I go back to all of my logs & edit with a "previously known as..." or "signed paper log as..." (I hope that makes sense!)

Thanks in advance!

I would say always do new logs, rather than edit old ones. No one notices if you edit them. If you enter a new log, the CO will see it. They may take pity on you and give a hint :D . It feels better that way too when you finally get it.

As far as changing your name, you could always put your old name in your profile signature.

If I search for a cache & log it as "Did not find", am I supposed to update that 1st attempt to "Found" or am I supposed to create a new "Found" log entry? If I come across a very difficult cache & it takes me several tries to find it, should I log each try as a "Did not find" or just edit
Don't change the original logs, they're part of the cache history. If you decide to add DNFs each time you can't find it (which is what I do), one for each day is plenty, if you return several times in a single day.

It's most important to have decent logs of cache activity. Send your online logs in with the most useful info you can to help Cache Owners and other Cachers decide what the cache is like.

Edited by kunarion

I put a DNF on caches that I may never get back to, ie traveling far from home. Ones that are close by I may put a DNF after the first try, or, I may wait until I have tried 4 or 5 times and then put the DNF and move on to a new one. If others find it after I have been there 4 or 5 times I will keep trying until I find it or ask for a hint from others at our monthly meeting.

I put a DNF on caches that I may never get back to, ie traveling far from home. Ones that are close by I may put a DNF after the first try, or, I may wait until I have tried 4 or 5 times and then put the DNF and move on to a new one. If others find it after I have been there 4 or 5 times I will keep trying until I find it or ask for a hint from others at our monthly meeting.

So YOU'RE one of the guys that don't log their DNFs! How am I gonna know if the cache might be missing? <_<

Seriously, though, in my opinion, you should log every DNF. For one reason, it isn't a sign of incompetence, but simply a record of your caching. Another reason is that the cache owner, and other cachers know someone has tried to find it, and with the DNF log, (especially two or three on an easy cache), the owner can go out and check their cache, and other searchers can maybe avoid a waste of time looking for a cache that might not be there.

Another reason is that the cache owner, and other cachers know someone has tried to find it, and with the DNF log, (especially two or three on an easy cache), the owner can go out and check their cache,

Check out my signature line. "I look but I do not see". I may be the only 1 going back there and if I put DNF 3 times in a row they would be wasting a trip to check it. I don't even see the butterdish on the dinner tables sometimes. lol

Another reason is that the cache owner, and other cachers know someone has tried to find it, and with the DNF log, (especially two or three on an easy cache), the owner can go out and check their cache,

Check out my signature line. "I look but I do not see". I may be the only 1 going back there and if I put DNF 3 times in a row they would be wasting a trip to check it. I don't even see the butterdish on the dinner tables sometimes. lol

As a cache owner I prefer that people log their DNFs. If one person goes back 3 times and doesn't find it, I probably will chalk it up to that person and not worry about the cache. If three different people log DNFs then that is a different story. I'd probably check on it in that case.

I find it hard deciding when the cache is actually missing and when it's just me who's bad searching for the cache. Should I log the cache as a DNF in both cases?
It's a Did Not Find log, not a Cache Is Missing log.

If I reach ground zero and search for the cache, then I log either a Find or a DNF.

I find it hard deciding when the cache is actually missing and when it's just me who's bad searching for the cache.
A DNF log is fine. It's good to mention how thoroughly you searched, or how you looked where the clue says (certainly if it's very specific). But I often resist suggesting the container is gone (and I re-read my log to be sure it can't be mistaken for insisting it's missing), even if other logs say so. But I do mention how mystified I am <_< .
I find it hard deciding when the cache is actually missing and when it's just me who's bad searching for the cache.
A DNF log is fine. It's good to mention how thoroughly you searched, or how you looked where the clue says (certainly if it's very specific). But I often resist suggesting the container is gone (and I re-read my log to be sure it can't be mistaken for insisting it's missing), even if other logs say so. But I do mention how mystified I am :rolleyes: .

Thank you for a good explanation <_<

I find it hard deciding when the cache is actually missing and when it's just me who's bad searching for the cache. Should I log the cache as a DNF in both cases?

I think that its a little presumptuous when we assume a cache has gone missing just because we can't find it. I've been trying to just say I couldn't find it and note how long/hard I looked. A good CO will do the rest.

Worst case scenario is maybe sending a message to the CO after several consecutive DNFs by several cachers on one cache which is traditionally easy to find based on logs.

I have completely missed extremely simple caches after several tries and could have sworn they were gone... I was wrong.