Heartbeat COINTEST

MotoCycleBoi

We have a new coin on the way so we want to celebrate with a new cointest!

The coin is the Heartbeat Geocoin.

The cointest is about Thailand.

The Heartbeat Geocoin is all about matters of the Heart.

My heart goes out to the victims of the Thailand tsunami 2004 (and to all other disaster victims).

Our family have a dream to someday visit Thailand so we need help to find Thailand's magic places.

Places that are worth a visit. Maybe a great Geocache or some wonderful nature? And Hey! keep it family oriented ok?

Rules:

- You can post as many times as you like

- One Thailand Tip at The Time(post)

- The cointest ends when the Heartbeat coins arrives from the mint (expected Nov 30th 2010)

- Feel free to post pictures and links

- There will be 4 winners

- I pick the winners and I rule supreme :anibad:

- The prices will be 4 different Heartbeat geocoins

- Have fun

The Prices:

set.jpg

This is a flower in Thialand called Frangipani, other known as Plumeria. They smell tutti-fruity.

In Thailand they use the flower to make perfume. The perfume is a sweet and loving smell of a aroma. If we ever visit Thailand someday we would love to cute just a sampling of a tree to make a starter plant, but we live in a cold climate in winter so it would not make it to grow it in the ground, it would have to stay inside.

Here is a picture that I found. It is so pretty.

280767_f496.jpg

Edited by sweetlife

What a beautiful coin!!! AAAhh!!! I do not know which one is pretier than others! I like the black a lot... but all the others are so pretty too!!! they are like jewells! :grin:

Thailand!!! I hope one day to visit Thailand too! There are many things to see, many things to do... and beautiful banknotes to collect! :anibad:

thay have some amazing commemorative banknotes... wow! :sad:

Anyway... here is my fact for now:

Thailand is a constitutional monarchy under the beloved king, Bhumibol Adulyadej, who has reigned since 1946. King Bhumibol is the world's longest-serving head of state.

The Siamese is one of the first distinctly recognized breeds of Oriental cat. The exact origins of the breed are unknown, but it is believed to be from Southeast Asia, and is said to be descended from the sacred temple cats of Siam (now Thailand). In Thailand, where they are one of several native breeds, they are called Wichien-maat , a name meaning "moon diamond". In the 20th century the Siamese cat became one of the most popular breeds in Europe and North America.

siamese-cat.png

anne and eli designed a siamese version of this cat! :anibad:

I was in Phuket in the summer of '95 and stayed at the Holiday Inn about 100 yards from the beach. What was once a plethora of shacks that the shopkeepers had along the beaches (it looked like a scaled down version of San Frans' Chinatown) are now gone I suppose from the Tsunami, but if you ever go there, be sure to patronize the beach vendors.

I can't remember the name of it, but I went to a beach vendor and had my dinner made for me right on the beach of fresh fish, squid and clams. IT WAS AWESOME!

~J

Thailand and the area around.. had some of the strangest money in use!

some are rare or expensive...

I like the tiger tonge coins and the bullet coins! both are silver, but you have to be careful! many fakes or cories exist!!!

since I do not want to make a long post from the begining... ( :anibad: ) I will post a link where you can see all the odd coins that were in use in Thailand!

http://www.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/siamese_money.html

There are over 31,200 Buddhist templesWat Benchamabophit in Bangkok spread around Thailand. In Thai we call them wat.

**** so if you are there and ask a question.... if you start with ...WHAT... you will end up in a temple! :anibad: I am kiding!!! :grin:

They are grouped into two main groups: temples which are permitted to carry out religious functions, and those which are used only for living quarters for monks.

Temples are classified into two main categories: Royal Temples and Common Temples. The Royal Temples were either built by royalty or came under their sponsorship. In Thailand, there are about 200 Royal Temples though there are only six of the highest grade. These are:

1. Wat Phra Chetuphon, Bangkok

2. Wat Mahathat, Bangkok

3. Wat Suthat, Bangkok

4. Wat Arun, Bangkok

5. Wat Phra Pathom Chedi, Nakhon Pathom Province

6. Wat Phra Buddhabat, Saraburi Province

We have visited many beautiful temples during our travels around Thailand. Below are some of the highlights:

* Wat Khun Inthra Pramun, Ang Thong, Ang Thong Province

* Wat Sothorn Wararam Worawihan, Chachoengsao, Chachoengsao Province

* Buddhamonthon, Nakhon Pathom

* Wat Bang Phli Yai Klang, Bang Phli, Samut Prakan Province

* Wat Phra Phuttabat, Saraburi

temples there are amazingly beautiful!!!

Thailand has three basic seasons. The seasons for each location within Thailand varies a bit, but generally they are as follows....

•Hot/Dry - March to May*

•Rain - June to October*

•Mild - November to February

*South - Rain; May to November, some rain in dry season

Thank You for a cool cointest

Muay Thai, or Thai boxing, is the national sport in Thailand and its native martial art call "Muay". In the past "Muay" was taught to royal soldiers for combat on battlefield if unarmed. After they retired from the army, these soldiers often became Buddhist monks and stayed at the temples. Most of the Thai people's lives are closely tied to Buddhism and temples; they often send their sons to be educated with the monks. ”Muay” is also one of the subjects taught in the temples. Muay Thai achieved popularity all over the world in the 1990s. Although similar martial arts styles exist in other Southeast Asian countries, few enjoy the recognition that Muay Thai has received with its full-contact rules allowing strikes including elbows, throws and knees.

Edited by lgass

Royal Farewell

The country united as one to bid farewell to Her Royal Highness

the last Princess Galyani Vadhana

The Royal Funeral ceremonies, a solemn six-day pageant, brought to life Thailand's ancient culture and royal splendour to pay a final tribute to the Princess whose lifetime of dedication to the people's welfare, the arts and education has left a big void in the hearts of Thai people.

Opalsns

His majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadaj of Thailand is the only king in the world who has... american nationality (USA)!!!

He was born in Cambridge of Massachusetts, of USA on December 5th of 1927!

He is considered to be... (from the people and the academic institutions of the world (all!!) ) the most beloved king and one of the most beloved men in the world!!! WOW!!!!

Hahaha GATOULIS…I was just typing about him when I saw your new post. So, found this King instead

In 1935 King Ananda Mahidol became the eighth monarch of Thailand (House of Chakri). He became king at age 9 and reigned for a little over 11 years, until one of his pages’ found the young king shot in the head. To this day it remains unknown the exact events that happened that day in 1946. Many rumors have ranged that it was the Kings own negligence while playing with his pistol to assassination.

Here is how to say hello in Thai...Sa wat dee Ka! (long vowel) (If you are male you end the greeting in 'krab or krap' instead of 'ka' with the last consonant rather clipped.

Together with this, to complete the greeting there is the Wai:

Put your two palms together (in a prayer like pose) and bow slightly. To greet someone of a higher station with greater respect, bow lower and hold the hands higher (so the tips of the fingers nearer the nose). This is how children would greet an adult. Some shop keepers will exaggerate this to the extent of always keeping their head below the customer's, not meeting eye level and holding their hands above their head for the Wei. Try not to bow too low or wei too high, or it can get awkward!

For someone of equal station, the tips of your fingers are about level with your chin and for someone who is eager to show respect to you, a quick lower of the head, and low wei will suffice, with a smile.

If you are going to Bangkok, you can take a tuk-tuk to popular destinations. You might need to write the address down - and remember to write down the address of your hotel for your return journey! (be prepared to barter, and expect to pay more to go somewhere touristy.)

So number one on the itinerary for a day in Bangkok would be a trip to the Grand Palace. Arms and legs need to be covered here, as for visiting a temple. Another way to get here is by river ferry, if you are not already in the area.

o5ynv4.jpg

The nearest cache is Saran Rom Park

Edited by Fianccetto

Next stop, if I were going back there might be Jim Thompson's House (now a museum.) There isn't a cache right near this, but there are a few nearby.

Jim Thompson was an interesting fellow, and worth finding out about his life (and disappearance!) His house is beautiful and well worth a visit. Not sure if I can put a link here, but the museum house has a website which is easy to find and will give you any more information you might need.

241ktc6.jpg

Another tip is to be careful where you put your feet. Some Thai people find it offensive to have feet pointing at them, their food, their deities or sacred objects or anything or anyone they respect. Ladies keep feet tucked in demurely and gents, try not to cross your legs too ostentatiously and be careful if you do sit anywhere near a Buddha or image/statue of the king not to point your feet that way.

From Bangkok I would recommend a trip to Kanchanaburi. You could visit the floating market, the Bridge Over The River Kwai, the Tiger temple, take a boat trip or ferry over the lakes or visit one of the ancient Wats in the area. You can even stay in a floating hotel on the river. If you do your research, you could split up the journey , taking several days to travel by coach, rail, river and even elephant!

On the way you could visit this cache: The Falang

And if you are successful, they could help with any questions you might have about your planned trip.

If you want to stay on a Thai island, there are quite a few to choose from. One of my favourites is Ko Samui, which has probably been developed a lot more since I stayed there in a little beach hut with no electricity. It is a beautiful place, and favoured by Thais for their romantic holidays, good for diving, walking, lovely beaches and an escape from the traffic and urban sprawl.

Suggested cache to start: Samui Amazing Sea View

We were in Phuket in July 2010.

We learned that while it is illegal to use elephants for logging sometimes it still happens. If you want to do an elephant trek, research as much as you can before you go as some elephants are still mistreated. The place we went was pretty good, you could tell the elephants (retired logging elephants) were well treated. The elephants stayed with the mahout and his family right in their house in an elephant 'garage'

012.jpg

Some time ago a group of tourist found that the most beautiful moon was in Koh Phangan. They arranged a party along the creasent shaped beach of Haad Rin to celebrate the full moon light.

From then on people from all over the world come to join in this No Inhibitions Dance party.

Haad Rin is home to the Full Moon Party and also houses about 3-5000 rather mad people; it is the island's nightlife capital and has Koh Phangan's biggest concentration of beach clubs that collectively put on the ultimate travellers get together. There are over 12 major sound systems running the length of Had Rin beach, catering for 8000 to 12,000 punters in low season, 15,000 to 20,000 in high season and up to 30,000 at New Year. Within this transient crowd of party animals some highly talented DJ's pass through, banging out their wares to the raging lunar explorers that have landed on planet party.

Lovely coin! I would love to do more travelling once funds allow it, so I wish you luck on your endeavor.

Whenever I think of Thailand, I think of a song that I loved when I was a kid. It is called, "One Night in Bangkok," by Murray Head.

From Wikipedia: "The lyrics sarcastically juxtapose the city and its night life with the game of chess. Whereas the chorus - sung by Swedish artist Anders Glenmark extoll Bangkok's reputation, the verses - a rap by Murray Head - denounce the city, including its muddy old river and its "reclining Buddha", and instead praises the intellectual purity of chess, e.g. "the queens we use would not excite you". The lyrics also mention actor Yul Brynner, who famously played the King of Siam in The King and I. The "Tyrolean spa" mentioned early in the song refers to Merano in Italy, the site of the earlier events of the musical."

I thought it interesting that the chorus was sung by a Swede, as you are from Sweden. I also found out that the Swedish group A*Teens did a cover of the song on their 2003 album.

Here are the lyrics:

[THE AMERICAN]

Bangkok, Oriental setting

And the city don't know that the city is getting

The creme de la creme of the chess world in a

Show with everything but Yul Brynner

Time flies -- doesn't seem a minute

Since the Tirolean spa had the chess boys in it

All change -- don't you know that when you

Play at this level there's no ordinary venue

It's Iceland -- or the Philippines -- or Hastings -- or --

or this place!

[COMPANY]

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster

The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free

You'll find a god in every golden cloister

And if you're lucky then the god's a she

I can feel an angel sliding up to me

[THE AMERICAN]

One town's very like another

When your head's down over your pieces, brother

[COMPANY]

It's a drag, it's a bore, it's really such a pity

To be looking at the board, not looking at the city

[THE AMERICAN]

Whaddya mean? Ya seen one crowded, polluted, stinking town --

[COMPANY]

Tea, girls, warm, sweet

Some are set up in the Somerset Maugham suite

[THE AMERICAN]

Get Thai'd! You're talking to a tourist

Whose every move's among the purest

I get my kicks above the waistline, sunshine

[COMPANY]

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble

Not much between despair and ecstasy

One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble

Can't be too careful with your company

I can feel the devil walking next to me

[THE AMERICAN]

Siam's gonna be the witness

To the ultimate test of cerebral fitness

This grips me more than would a

Muddy old river or reclining Buddha

And thank God I'm only watching the game -- controlling it --

I don't see you guys rating

The kind of mate I'm contemplating

I'd let you watch, I would invite you

But the queens we use would not excite you

So you better go back to your bars, your temples, your massage

parlours --

[COMPANY]

One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster

The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free

You'll find a god in every golden cloister

A little flesh, a little history

I can feel an angel sliding up to me

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble

Not much between despair and ecstasy

One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble

Can't be too careful with your company

I can feel the devil walking next to me

<<edited for spelling>>

Edited by SgtMikal

sorry for previous edits... I had to delete the greek translation... :)

According to the law... it is illegal in thailand for men (and women of course) to be out in public with naked thorax (upper part of us to be naked..) That means that... all foreigners who are sunbathing in thailand are theoritically breakers of the law...

But... I think that you do not have to worry.... if they want to be ok.... they have to fix some other bad things first....

Edited by GATOULIS