Pivoting map screen

hikingirl3

I've been trying to google this, but obviously "pivoting map screen" is not the right technical term. Anyway, I hit the wrong button on my iPhone while using the geocaching app, and now my map pivots according to my direction, which is super helpful in figuring out where to go. Is this a common feature on handheld GPS? I sometimes use a borrowed Garmin eTrex Venture HC, and I was wondering how I can get that into the same mode, or if it's not available. Also, I've been considering purchasing a Delorme PN40, and want to know if that has that setting as well?

I use "track up" on my auto GPS, but on my handheld, I prefer "north up" and have the cursor rotate.

+1

I always use "track up" on my Nuvi car GPS as well. It's more important at those speeds for orientation with the world outside the windshield.

Hand held/hiking GPS usage is not that fast moving so, if you use your GPSr with a paper map/chart where the top is always North up, keeping the GPSr aligned with "North up" is especially important.

A "track up" setting in a GPSr without a built-in electronic compass (and having that feature turned ON) is pretty much useless when you're stopped. In fact, it can be downright confusing as the map rotates around your point randomly because of constant GPS updates and "minor repositioning"...and you're not moving across the ground at all...or moving very, very slowly...

Edited by sviking