Wet logs

timgungoll

I found one of those really small aluminum caches yesterday with the little key ring on top that has a screw off top. It had just replaced an ammo can. The log was rolled up really tight and was drenched and not on a plastic bag inside the cache. It was too wet to sign. Does this count as a find and do I log it online? Or do I need to wait until a new dry log sheet is placed inside? I didn't want to replace the old one myself in case there was some salvageable data there once it dried out. I could not even fully screw the top on because the paper was expanded due to wetness. I logged needs maintenance and explained but did not log it as a find yet. What do I do now? Wait and go back? Go ahead and log on computer even though could not sign the log?

i would log as a find but could not sign the log. If its close by you can always go back and sign it later too.

Log it as a "found it", and mention the circumstances of why you couldn't sign the log.

Then post a "Needs Maintenance" log.

Do the above then get a felt tip pen. you can always make a mark that way.

Edited by hoosier guy

Get a "Space Pen". They write on just about anything. Works upside down, sideways, underwater, and on all but the most soggy logs. Drop it in your pocket and go, they don't leak. I own three and never leave home without one. It's also a nice idea to carry some log paper in little zip lock bags. When you come across a cache with a soggy log, remove the wet one, dry out the container best you can and leave a new log. The next finders will appreciate it and you can log with confidence.

I once found a micro cache which was a very small tube with a piece of paper rolled up in it so damp that it disintegrated on my pulling it out. I logged it as a find, added a slip of paper with my name on it (though I fully expected this to get soggy too, so it was pretty pointless), replaced the disintegrated log and took a photo of myself with the cache. Someone had already posted a 'needs maintenance' log before me mentioning the wet log so I didn't do that, but would've done if nobody had yet.

log it as found.

I always use a pencil. I just find them more reliable than pens in most cases (can sharpen with a pocket knife, they will also write - faintly - on most wet logs, don't freeze, and are cheap).

the NM log was the right choice. I am a big fan of write in the rain paper and logbooks. but there's no way I'd ever donate that stuff to another cache owner. use regular paper for that.

That has happened to me in a few cases. If there was room in the container I signed a dry piece of paper and inserted it. One time there was no room at all and there was no way to sign the mass of pulp that was once the log, so I snapped a photo of me holding the cache and submitted it with my online log.

You found the cache so why not log a find. The log was unsignable through no fault of yours.

That has happened to me in a few cases. If there was room in the container I signed a dry piece of paper and inserted it. One time there was no room at all and there was no way to sign the mass of pulp that was once the log, so I snapped a photo of me holding the cache and submitted it with my online log.

You found the cache so why not log a find. The log was unsignable through no fault of yours.

Thanks for all of the replies.