Magnetic tape?

Team DKR

Hey there.

I have planned a cache, but now i've got a problem. The "place" where I was supposed to put a magnet isn't magnetic. And velcro and other things aint a possibility. It has to be a magnet (cant come with further details without destroying my idea).

Does anyone know of some kind of very thin metal tape, that I can stick at the place, and put my magnet on?

Thx already! :angry:

I bought some magnetic tape at Wally World, it can be cut to size. May not work great in the cold and elements though.

Hey there.

I have planned a cache, but now i've got a problem. The "place" where I was supposed to put a magnet isn't magnetic. And velcro and other things aint a possibility. It has to be a magnet (cant come with further details without destroying my idea).

Does anyone know of some kind of very thin metal tape, that I can stick at the place, and put my magnet on?

Thx already! :angry:

What I think you are asking for is something to put at the site to be able to stick your magnet to.

The problem with this, is that I believe it goes against the guidelines.

We are not supposed to alter the spot where we put the cache, which also includes attaching velcro or metal to something in order to hold the cache there.

Yes I've seen it done too, but it is in the guidelines (unless it has been recently removed)

OK, I did some reading in the guidelines and this is what I came up with. A reviewer or moderator can answer this much more clearly of course.

These are the two lines I found that might apply:

"Caches that deface public or private property, whether a natural or man-made object, in order to provide a hiding place, a clue or a logging method."

So what is defacing would be the question. Is attaching something like velcro defacement? I don't know. could depend on what it was on, or where. A good question for the reviewer.

"In busy areas, avoid containers that look suspicious, including attachment materials like wires or tape."

This line is addressing caches that might be mistaken for bombs, and doesn't seem to address our question, but is the only other line I found in the guidelines that discusses attachment.

I hope we get a reviewer to join in here on this one.

Edited by Sol seaker
What I think you are asking for is something to put at the site to be able to stick your magnet to.

We are not supposed to alter the spot where we put the cache, which also includes attaching velcro or metal to something in order to hold the cache there.

Yes I've seen it done too, but it is in the guidelines (unless it has been recently removed)

Well. Technically, you're right.

But. In my opinion - no matter how you place a tupperware box somewhere, you "alter" the place where you put it. And what if you put a bison tube in a wire in a tree? Then you technically alter the tree with the wire :angry: ..

I know rules are rules, but if the owner of the the property allows me to do it, i dont really see the problem.

Well. Technically, you're right.

But. In my opinion - no matter how you place a tupperware box somewhere, you "alter" the place where you put it. And what if you put a bison tube in a wire in a tree? Then you technically alter the tree with the wire :angry: ..

I know rules are rules, but if the owner of the the property allows me to do it, i dont really see the problem.

As other will likely point out, they're not rules, they're guidelines, and each of them has a purpose and the goal isn't to see if a loophole can be found that'll allow you to get your caches published.

Although if the property owner allowed you to attach a metal sheet to an object in order to place your magnetized container it probably would not be a problem with that cache or the property owner. However, other people will find your cache, and think "what a clever way to use a magnetic container" and use a similar method *without" telling the property manager. That property manager might end up being a city park manager, and after discovering that something in a park they manager was altered to place a geocache may decide to ban all geocaching in all the parks they manage. Although the guidelines state that there are no precedents when it comes to placing a cache, other potential hiders will use yours as a precedent for what is acceptable.

Hey there.

Thx already! :)

I had taken a large magnetic sheet (like you use on your fridge with the photo holder on the other side) and attached it under a bench to hold up a small LnL container that I glued magnets too. The problem was that the container and its contents were too heavy and the magnetism of the sheet wasn't strong enough to hold it up. I ended up placing some large washers between the magnetic sheet and the bench and fastened them on. Worked like a charm. Keep in mind that the magnetic tape might not be strong enough to hold up whatever you are looking to stick to it.

And for the record, I got permission to do this. :rolleyes:

Hey there.

Thx already! :D

Why don't you just get a small piece of metal and glue or screw or both to what you want to attach your magnetic to. I was fooled by cache that said magnetic. It was under wooden bench. CO had attached a piece of metal under bench then his magnetic was on it. I plan to use idea for myself soon.