Hands on GPS stores required London area

go to a local event or two. i bought my oregon 300 before seeing one and all people had was the older garmin gcx i think, now they all have oregons. as newer ones come out someone will buy one and then show it off at an event so you can see then if its any good or to your needs.

I'd strongly recommend the go to an event and play with GPS's there - you'll find people more than happy to show you what they use. I'd also go for online purchase for this reason...... a very well known and reputable high street outdoor retailer is selling the Garmin Dakato 20 for £279 while a very good online store sells it for £188 (inc delivery next day). That's a pretty substantial difference!

Chris (MrB)

I would recommend going to one of your local events and speakiing to cachers ..... I expect most of them will have their GPS with them and will be able to give you much better advice then alot of the outdoor shops.

London Event @ Tower Bridge (GC2GJRV) on 10th Nov looks like the next one in London.

I ABSOLUTELY agree - you can't judge a GPS from a shop store demo or the spec' so go to an event as suggested and see them in the field with their ownes. Better still, find a kind fellow geocache who is willing to loan you a unit fo the day (many thanks Maple Leaf :rolleyes::) ).

Edited to add: Hope you recover soon Jen.

Edited by FollowMeChaps

Could try looking at 'Ask' on Tottenham Court Road.

Ask here

I've found ASK to be helpful (I bought both my GPS units from them). The trouble is you won't get a satellite lock in their shop on Tottenham Court Road, and without some form of security they are unlikely to let you take a GPS unit outside to get a lock.

Goldpot will probably drop it anyway! :rolleyes:

Ask here

I've found ASK to be helpful (I bought both my GPS units from them). The trouble is you won't get a satellite lock in their shop on Tottenham Court Road, and without some form of security they are unlikely to let you take a GPS unit outside to get a lock.

Oi, you! I know your coordinates.

Ask here

Drop it?

Nah, not a lot of water in Tottenham Court Road.. :)