TB Hotels

I can see the point of TB hotels, in fact they are quite handy when you are heading off for a day's caching and have nothing in your inventory, you can go and pick a couple up and help move them along.

I can also see the value in having somewhere you can drop a TB if you get stuck with it unexpectedly and are not going out for a while.

Some why's

1st why: Why would someone set up a TB hotel that you have to find 4 other caches first to get its coordinates (i.e. a mystery cache), thus making it impossible for the person passing through to drop in and pick something up or drop something?

2nd why: Why would someone insist that the cache contains some TBs at all times. So in other words if someone does find it and happens to have nothing with them to swap, and there's only one left in there, it stays there?

3rd and final why: Why would someone, having set this cache up as a TB hotel, continue to persist with it being a 'hotel' after it has had only 18 cachers find it in 2 years and 9 months?

Surely this should tell the CO that really this is not a suitable set up for a TB hotel.

Oh, one more why: Why am I bothered? (I can answer this one)

Because one of our TB's has been in the cache described above for over 4 months and at the current rate of visits looks set to be there for some time to come yet.

I have emailed the CO and asked him if he would rescue and liberate our TB (as he says he will on the cache page when he "deems a TB has been in there long enough") but have not had a reply.

I know on the great scale of things 4 months is not a lifetime, and the TB could just as easily have been lost in that time. But TBs and coins are meant to travel, not 'have a well earned rest' in a cache that is visited infrequently and that is not an easy one to get to.

What do people think - should such hotels be traditional caches that are reasonably quick and easy to find?

Or can and should any type of cache be called a hotel?

I can see the point of TB hotels, in fact they are quite handy when you are heading off for a day's caching and have nothing in your inventory, you can go and pick a couple up and help move them along.

I can also see the value in having somewhere you can drop a TB if you get stuck with it unexpectedly and are not going out for a while.

Some why's

1st why: Why would someone set up a TB hotel that you have to find 4 other caches first to get its coordinates (i.e. a mystery cache), thus making it impossible for the person passing through to drop in and pick something up or drop something?

2nd why: Why would someone insist that the cache contains some TBs at all times. So in other words if someone does find it and happens to have nothing with them to swap, and there's only one left in there, it stays there?

3rd and final why: Why would someone, having set this cache up as a TB hotel, continue to persist with it being a 'hotel' after it has had only 18 cachers find it in 2 years and 9 months?

Surely this should tell the CO that really this is not a suitable set up for a TB hotel.

Oh, one more why: Why am I bothered? (I can answer this one)

Because one of our TB's has been in the cache described above for over 4 months and at the current rate of visits looks set to be there for some time to come yet.

I have emailed the CO and asked him if he would rescue and liberate our TB (as he says he will on the cache page when he "deems a TB has been in there long enough") but have not had a reply.

I know on the great scale of things 4 months is not a lifetime, and the TB could just as easily have been lost in that time. But TBs and coins are meant to travel, not 'have a well earned rest' in a cache that is visited infrequently and that is not an easy one to get to.

What do people think - should such hotels be traditional caches that are reasonably quick and easy to find?

Or can and should any type of cache be called a hotel?

I would have thought that the answers to all of your questions lie more with the people who take the time to find the cache and leave TBs in there than with the owner.... :blink:

I don't think they are calling it a Hotel,

True, it's a 'hotel' in all but name.

in fact it appears to be set up specifically to restrict travel.

That was my thought when I first looked at it.

The bugs in that cache need a rescue mission.

Annoyingly I will be passing within a few miles of the cache at the end of this month on my way up to Suffolk, but I won't have time to find all the other caches needed to get the coords for this one. That could take hours. And that's the problem. Or I would mount the rescue mission myself. :blink:

I would have thought that the answers to all of your questions lie more with the people who take the time to find the cache and leave TBs in there than with the owner.... :blink:

You have a good point.

But reading some of the logs, cachers are clearly keen to comply with the CO's 'rules' on the cache. Others may not appreciate the implications of leaving a TB in there, or not even notice the infrequency of the visits.

I share your concerns, Lovejoy (grrr, now I've got the Lovejoy theme tune going round in my head!).

TB Hotels should be traditional type caches, not too far off the beaten track, easy finds and big containers. They should not have any rules relating to 'one in, one out' or similar. Why is that rule so common I wonder? Do the CO's like to make visits to discover the trackables? Or do they think that having resident trackables means the cache will be visited more often?

One of the very few caches I've visited more than once is a TB Hotel. On my first visit I followed the 'one in, one out' rule. By the time of my second visit I had visited these forums, so I took all the trackables. :blink:

Thanks for the links. That's an area of the forums I have not visited before. I guess I shouldv'e done then I would have known all about 'prisons' (I like it).

I was coming at it from a cache perspective, not a TB perspective.

Cheers

EDIT: Ok, I have read through that thread and it seems a prison is a cache with rules about swapping TBs. The main issue with the cache my TB is in is the fact it's not often visited and is not easy to get to (you have to find all the others in the series first).

It was good to see the note by Eartha which mentioned 'hotels' being easily accessible etc.

I suppose it is to the CO's credit that he does visit every 6 months or so to do some swaps. But 6 months is a long time in the life of a TB :blink:

Edited by Lovejoy and Tinker

Which cache are we talking about? If it's local to me, I could get your TB moving for you...

Chris

Hi Chris.

I don't want to name it here specifically as the CO doesn't appear to use the forums so won't be here to defend it.

Would rather stay with the general idea of what a TB hotel should/should not be.

But thanks for the offer, unfortunately the cache in question is quite a way from you.

Cheers

ps Totally unrelated to your question (of course) - I don't have very many active TBs but my licorice one is my favourite :signalviolin:

Actually they can't "insist" only "request". because to insist means that the cache has a ALR. Which are not allowed, nor have caches with such a requirement listed before the Guidelines where changed to disallow them been Grandfathered In.

So if you come across a restriction where the Cache Owner insists that if you take a TB/Geocoin, you have to leave one. It can be safely ignored, you are free to take all the TB's/Geocoins and not leave any at all.

Deci

Annoyingly I will be passing within a few miles of the cache at the end of this month on my way up to Suffolk, but I won't have time to find all the other caches needed to get the coords for this one. That could take hours. And that's the problem. Or I would mount the rescue mission myself. :signalviolin:

Try emailing some previous finders, explain your predicament, see if they'll let you know the final co-ords?

I'd have no problem with a TB Hotel being a short -1 stage- multi.

Read a plaque/notice, quick sum, find the nearby container.

Does make the cache a little safer from those that like TB's/coins, but aren't so keep to move them along!