1st GPS

Hello. I am using a iPhone 3GS and its ok. I have nothing to compare it to, but it seems slow. So I figure why not buy a GPS. I like the looks of the Garmin ones. I have searched reviews and this forum. This question has kinda been asked before but here it goes. I have it narrowed to two units. GPSMAP 60CSX and GPSMAP 62S. I see that the 60 is older technology but here is my question. Here in Canada Costco has the 60CSX for $219 and Walmart has the 62S for $439. Is the 62s worth twice the money in your opinion? Thank you.

I hve the 76csx (same as the 60 csx) and the 78s (same as the 62s

since it is your first gps, i would go for the 60csx. It is the gold standard other GPSs are compared to. Then when the 62s drops in price to what the 60csx is you can add another GPS. Dick

OK, let's step back...

What do YOU want in a GPS? That is the only way to answer your question.

Why do you thing you want the 60csx or 62S?? They are quite different units. There are many other choices. Do not be led to believe these are better with respect to reception than other modern Garmin units. They are ALL basically the same. You need to make your choice based on features.

touchscreen or buttons?

small screen or big screen?

paperless caching or not paperless?

maps or no maps?

electronic compass or not?

Thank you for your help. I think paperless would be better. A larger screen would be better. I am not a huge fan of touch screen but have it on my iPhone. I am leaning towards the GPSMAP 60CSX. Its 1/2 the price of the 62s and cheaper than allot of the other models I have found around me. It seems to get good reviews and i am guessing it being a 4 ish year old model won't make too much difference in how well it gets a signal? Thanks again for your help.

Thank you for your help. I think paperless would be better. A larger screen would be better. I am not a huge fan of touch screen but have it on my iPhone. I am leaning towards the GPSMAP 60CSX. Its 1/2 the price of the 62s and cheaper than allot of the other models I have found around me. It seems to get good reviews and i am guessing it being a 4 ish year old model won't make too much difference in how well it gets a signal? Thanks again for your help.

You say "paperless would be better", but then say you are leaning towards the 60CSX which is not a paperless unit. If you are truly interested in paperless (which is the only way to go in my opinion) I suggest that you shop around for the best price on the 62 and also look at the Oregon 450. It is an outstanding touch screen unit.

OldA'sFan

If you don't mind carrying two pieces of equipment around get the 60CSx and use your iphone or a PDA for paperless caching.

First I bought a 60CSx. I wanted to be paperless so I bought a used Dell Axim 5 PDA with charger for $35 at UsedHandhelds.

For me, the two working is tandem is perfect.

You want a large screen and paperless??? These are the wrong units...

Look at an Oregon 450. What YOU need to do is go to a store and LOOK at the models YOURSELF..... Internet advice is all nice and good, but it is very much a personal preference thing.

Get the 60CSx. It's undoubtedly a SOLID unit, which cannot be said about the 62CSx right now. It's much cheaper and it's an excellent GPS. As for it being four years old and "reception"...don't worry about it. If "something" changed and the 60CSx couldn't receive/process the satellite signals, then even the newest ones would be dead, too. They are ALL designed to receive and process the exact same signals. As for "paperless", a lot of people claim they can't live without it. Personally, it's not that big of a deal to jot a few notes down or copy/paste into a Word document and print out before heading out for a day of caching. It's definitely not a $200 feature, considering the price difference. And, as mentioned, you already have other hardware which can do paperless duties, if desired. So, since this is your first GPS, get the excellent and much less expensive 60CSx. Use the crap out of it and get a "paperless" unit later, if you want and keep the 60CSx as an excellent backup or for an extra unit for a friend, spouse, etc to use, should they want to try geocaching.

thank you all for your help. I have been to all the stores that carry GPS's in my city. Had a look at them all. Unfortunately no one has the Oregon 450 to look at. I do have the iPhone and I did buy the $10 app that lets me load cache info. I agree that paperless in a GPS would be better but I also agree with Sviking that its not $200 better. I am going with the GPSMAP60CSX for now and then pass it down to my son in a year or so if we are still doing this at the rate we are doing it now. Thanks again for all your help.

I agree that paperless in a GPS would be better but I also agree with Sviking that its not $200 better. I am going with the GPSMAP60CSX for now and then pass it down to my son in a year or so if we are still doing this at the rate we are doing it now.

Excellent decision. You won't be disappointed. :rolleyes:

I hve the 76csx (same as the 60 csx) and the 78s (same as the 62s

since it is your first gps, i would go for the 60csx. It is the gold standard other GPSs are compared to. Then when the 62s drops in price to what the 60csx is you can add another GPS. Dick

Wow! I have the same units. Started with the 76 CSx and now use the 78S. :blink:

I originally tended toward the Oregon 450 when my 76CSx started getting flakey. (Left it on the hood of the truck too many times. Bouncing down the road isn't good for them!) I ended up going with the 78S for 2 reasons.

1. I was used to the button layout on the 76CSx and the 78S has the same button layout. I like buttons better than touch screen which is what the Oregon 450 has.

2. Screen visibility in sunlight. I found the 78S had much better visibility in sunlight than the Oregon. (This was a big factor in making my decision to buy the 78S rather than the Oregon.)

If you're trying to decide between the Oregon and the 62S you will face the same questions. Buttons or touch screen? How is the relative visibility in sunlight.

2. Screen visibility in sunlight. I found the 78S had much better visibility in sunlight than the Oregon. (This was a big factor in making my decision to buy the 78S rather than the Oregon.)

One thing to point out, though, with the new 62 and 78 series "push button" units is, while they may look "Oregony" with the O/S, they do not have the same higher screen resolution. Not even close. Something to consider if using Garmin's Bird's Eye View satellite stuff. It won't look nearly as good as it would on an Oregon. Smaller screen, too.

Thank you for your help. I think paperless would be better....

Fd&S, I see that you have expressed an interest in geocaching and doing so paperlessly. Consequently, you have received advice on both sides of the issue. With that in hand, I have no unique, direct advice to contribute.

However, allow me to offer some advice regarding the advice posited above. I suggest that you might check the profiles of those offering advice concerning paperless caching, note their respective level of geocaching activity, and temper the advice accordingly.

Personally, I don't offer direct advice regarding activities of which I do not partake. :blink:

Fd&S, I see that you have expressed an interest in geocaching and doing so paperlessly. Consequently, you have received advice on both sides of the issue. With that in hand, I have no unique, direct advice to contribute.

Then why even post in this thread? :blink:

However, allow me to offer some advice regarding the advice posited above. I suggest that you might check the profiles of those offering advice concerning paperless caching, note their respective level of geocaching activity, and temper the advice accordingly.

Personally, I don't do offer direct advice regarding activities of which I do not partake. :)