Come on, what's one more poll? Can I please get an answer to this?

Planet

Not that - this: If I pick up a travel bug in CT that has a goal to travel to Florida, can I cache my way to Florida logging this bug in and out of caches on the way? I need to go see relatives and friends there anyway. The bug owner has no qualms with it, if it's allowed. So what do you think? I did a search but came up with nothing.

Cache you later,

Planet

Two Wrongs Don't Make A Right, But Three Lefts Do.

[This message was edited by Planet on November 25, 2002 at 05:01 PM.]

One of my bugs is a pen whose goal is to log into every cache in NJ (fat chance). A recent finder took it on a weekend cache excursion and logged in and out of every cache he visited (about 15). A previous finder did something similar. It didn't bother me at all, but it seems to defeat the purpose of the bug.

I'd say if the owner is OK with it, then go ahead. Personally, I'd take it part of the way to Fla, then leave it.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

I see no problem....

You're takeing it to Florida anyway, and if you're caching on your way to FL, why not? It's a record of where the bug has been on the way from one point to another... if you're like me, and have a cachin' backpack or something similar, the bug would be hitching a ride to the other caches, whether logged in/out of them or not, before being placed in it's final destination. If the owner has no problem with it, why should the rest of us?

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

I agree with SquirrelNut. The point of travel bugs is to be tracked in their travels. If it were my travel bug, I'd like to hear about all the caches in between that the bug has been to (but not necessarily in) instead of just having it pop up far away with just a log of "Visited lots of caches on my drive here, but here's where I dropped it."

Log that puppy into every cache you go to, as long as you have the bug with you at the time. Now, if the questions were "Can I hang onto it for a month while I take it out caching with me occasionaly?" then I would say no. But you are 1) Helping this bug reach it's goal. and 2) Hopefully creating some great stories along the way.

P.S. 3rd post in an hour. That's alot for me. I guess I'm having a hard time feeling motivated to work the day before Thanksgiving. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by cannonlaw:

Log that puppy into every cache you go to, as long as you have the bug with you at the time. Now, if the questions were "Can I hang onto it for a month while I take it out caching with me occasionaly?" then I would say no. But you are 1) Helping this bug reach it's goal. and 2) Hopefully creating some great stories along the way.

How about starting a new travel bug by logging it into and out of a local cache, then bringing it with you on vacation and dropping it off in a cache at your destination?

I guess I could have just realized that this bug that I had a while back has been moving all over with one cacher. I am watching this bug, but didn't realize until another log came through today that it was the same person carrying it along in his area until they head it in another direction.

Cache you later,

Planet

We are counting on you physically placing the bug in the cache and then taking it out....he he icon_razz.gif

I think it is up to the owner, I'm doing that with two bugs because one is almost to its goal a year early and I am going to Virginia in a month. After that I will leave it close to the goal.

I did inform the owner but got no response. icon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Chazman007:

We are counting on you physically placing the bug in the cache and then taking it out....he he icon_razz.gif

I think it is up to the owner, I'm doing that with two bugs because one is almost to its goal a year early and I am going to Virginia in a month. After that I will leave it close to the goal.

I did inform the owner but got no response. icon_rolleyes.gif

I have taken this bug to caches, and photographed it there. Not very many, but i've vistied more caches than I have taken it to. It has a mission and a goal. It's mission is to see sunsets on it's way to it's goal, in Florida. I found a couple caches off of Sunset Hill Rd. and so had to bring it there, of course. I have taken it to other places where sunsets were seen, just have to get the pictures uploaded. If it isn't with me when visiting the cache, then it doesn't get logged in.

Cache you later,

Planet

If the OWNER doesn't mind, why should anyone else???? When we travel, we stop to see the sites here & there. Why not the TB?? As long as you fullfill that goal. And when it gets here, (I live in FLA/USA), cachers can always take it around Florida & maybe return it to it's owner.

I'd like to follow this TB. What is it's name ONLY no #? icon_smile.gif

rocker51

I have taken travel bugs on a trip and while traveling, stopped to cache at various places. I did not log the bug's visit but I did photograph the visit and add it to the bug's log so the owner knew what was going on.

For example I took "Travel in Style" (TB22c7) and Green Hopper (TB4A67) when I visited In The Woods (GC3958). The logs note what was happening.

It may have been more interesting to log them in and out but I did not think of it.

Smitherington

David J. Brown