Icon Challenge Caches

The QCs

Last week I set myself a challenge of seeing how many cache types I could find in one day. I managed 7 (puzzle, Earth, webcam, virtual, trad, multi, letterbox). I should have waited a week and added an event to the list, but I was rather pleased with my 7.

A nice comment on my blog about the 7 cache types has led me to discover there are icon challenge caches about e.g GC1K9PZ

Are there many other caches like this?

Many thanks.

Last week I set myself a challenge of seeing how many cache types I could find in one day. I managed 7 (puzzle, Earth, webcam, virtual, trad, multi, letterbox). I should have waited a week and added an event to the list, but I was rather pleased with my 7.

A nice comment on my blog about the 7 cache types has led me to discover there are icon challenge caches about e.g GC1K9PZ

Are there many other caches like this?

Many thanks.

This looks really interesting and very tempting.........thanks.

I'll make a bookmark list of all these suggestions when I get back from a cache event this evening, if that would be helpful...

Stuey has already done one.

Thanks, yes I have: UK challenge caches bookmark list (edit to add, I just realised this has been on my sig line for months now).

Thanks for the info about the 2 that I wasn't aware of. These have now been added, making 23 now.

Edited by Stuey

We did a similar set in the same area last March but also did the Kintbury Kapers Wherigo to make it Eight cache types in 3 hours! :D

GAGB had a cito and a normal event last weekend. I half expected someone to attend both and also find eight other types.

We set a series called Cache Type Compendium (GC19M61) a few years ago which rewarded cachers with 5 types in a short circular walk. We also have an Earthcache and a Wherigo cache both within a 15 minute drive of the area.

Then just bung in the excellent Warwick Webcam which is about half an hour's drive away.... :anicute:

Thanks all for the cache infos and lists/bookmarks.

It was a fun challenge to do and one day, we'll try it again in the hope of improving on 7 cache types. I'll add though, that it did take all day, unlike Delta's 8 caches in 3 hours! It took a bit of planning as I didn't want to find any caches which involved too many gates and stiles- makes getting the pushchair over a bit tricky when on my own. I also wanted some caches where we could find a baby friendly place for lunch and also a chance for him to run around a bit and burn off some energy. I also couldn't go too far from home as the 5 year old needed picking up from school. I also had a back up Puzzle cache just incase I hadn't solved one correctly.

It was a very fun day.

I'll make a bookmark list of all these suggestions when I get back from a cache event this evening, if that would be helpful...
So I see. Saves me the bother; thanks MBFace. :anicute:

It's a long way off but we're planning an 'Icon Challenge' event on the evening of the Geolympix SE Mega event (with a local CITO in the morning) allowing visitors to get everything bar an APE cache within 12 hours. One of several themed Geolympix 'discipline' events planned for the weekend. Timed walk over a 26mile 385 yard (42.2Km) cache trail, anyone? At last, the chance to say you've done a marathon without having to train for months; 10-12 (or more) hours walk is still a mighty effort though. 100+ caches (It's not about the numbers!) :D

So I see. Saves me the bother; thanks MBFace. :D

It's a long way off but we're planning an 'Icon Challenge' event on the evening of the Geolympix SE Mega event (with a local CITO in the morning) allowing visitors to get everything bar an APE cache within 12 hours. One of several themed Geolympix 'discipline' events planned for the weekend. Timed walk over a 26mile 385 yard (42.2Km) cache trail, anyone? At last, the chance to say you've done a marathon without having to train for months; 10-12 (or more) hours walk is still a mighty effort though. 100+ caches (It's not about the numbers!) :D

Inc. Maze, HQ & NGS?? :anicute: Cool - we only need the Maze for a full set!

It's a long way off but we're planning an 'Icon Challenge' event on the evening of the Geolympix SE Mega event (with a local CITO in the morning) allowing visitors to get everything bar an APE cache within 12 hours...
Inc. Maze, HQ & NGS?? :anicute: Cool - we only need the Maze for a full set!
Anything that does exist or can exist in the UK, at the time of the event. So no 10 Year! icon, Locationless or APE. NGS are benchmarks in the US only (I stand to be corrected) and there's only one HQ - But if Maze can be arranged for the UK, we'll try to get one :D

But a big YES to Mega, CITO and Plain ol' Event, yes to Trad, Multi, Mystery/Puzzle/Unknown, Letterbox Hybrid, Whergo, Earthcache, and yes to Virtual and Webcam (a bit more of a drive away, depending on our final choice of location) - giving visitors 11 icons (We'd probably make the CITO 9am and the Icon Challenge event 8pm so it's 11 icons in 11 hours)

It's a long way off but we're planning an 'Icon Challenge' event on the evening of the Geolympix SE Mega event (with a local CITO in the morning) allowing visitors to get everything bar an APE cache within 12 hours...
Inc. Maze, HQ & NGS?? :D Cool - we only need the Maze for a full set!
Anything that does exist or can exist in the UK, at the time of the event. So no 10 Year! icon, Locationless or APE. NGS are benchmarks in the US only (I stand to be corrected) and there's only one HQ - But if Maze can be arranged for the UK, we'll try to get one :)

But a big YES to Mega, CITO and Plain ol' Event, yes to Trad, Multi, Mystery/Puzzle/Unknown, Letterbox Hybrid, Whergo, Earthcache, and yes to Virtual and Webcam (a bit more of a drive away, depending on our final choice of location) - giving visitors 11 icons (We'd probably make the CITO 9am and the Icon Challenge event 8pm so it's 11 icons in 11 hours)

HQ & NGS are only US - hence the :D . Unless of course they are going to move the HQ to Oxford.

The Maze cache will be £20K to bring over - also hence the :ph34r: (I think that was the figure quoted by Deci when I asked him about it). If I remember the conversation correctly, Deci also said that now reviewers get paid a fiver for each cache they publish - they would be willing to stump up the funds. :lol: Or I may have misheard that bit.......... :anicute:

As much as £20k? We'll have to look where the budget is best spent. We've not even started fundraising yet... :anicute:

I though it was actually $50k plus shipping costs

This page used to say it but not anymore

Unlike other events you can charge for entry :D

Mark

You could be right. I think SP is being most unfair not wanting to fork out the money for us to get a full house of icons... :D

As much as £20k? We'll have to look where the budget is best spent. We've not even started fundraising yet... :lol:

I can't find any specific costings any more as they are no longer listed by MinotaurMaze Exhibitions (and as the Forum will not allow 4 letter searches I can't find my post with the estimated costs, being listed by them at the time of the post ) , you have to contact them directly for a quote. But I believe it was actually in the region of £50,000 for a 3 month booking including 2 way international shipping. And you need to find a suitable venue capable of hosting a 25,000-45,000 sq feet educational exhibition. Which would preclude hiring a warehouse out for the weekend. :)

Oh and if Reviewers are paid £5 per cache published :D and provided they back date it to the very first cache I published. I'll happily pay the cost of the Maze coming over here :anicute: (oh wait that would mean you'd be paying £15-25 per cache submission :ph34r: )

Deci :D