Good conainers on the cheap?

DannyCaffeine

If you know someone who's diabetic and uses the little test strips that come in a small container similar to a 35mm film can, ask if you can have the empty ones. They are immensely better than the 35mm cans for water tightness and you can easily attach a magnet to make them stick to ferrous metals.

For something a bit bigger, I recommend Lock 'n Lock containters. The smallest one is about three inches square and costs about $1.50. It's big enough to get a log and few geocoins and travel bugs inside. Bigger Lock 'n Locks are available, but will cost more.

For micros, check out waterproof match containers. Sold for under a buck at Wal Mart. They are orange so a little Krylon Fusion camo paint or camo duct tape will make them harder to see.

You can buy a multi piece set of Lock n Locks online for about $25 and it will come to abit over $2 a container.

Nalgene Straigt Jars make nice small caches and are inexpensive.

Soda bottle preforms come out to less than a dollar each and make great containers.

Edited by briansnat

Dude the dollar store has Lock & Lock style containers on the mega cheap. And as tomfuller & Quill said old pb jars or pickle jars pretty much any food jar that held fluid in it will keep it out. Old medicine bottles work as well.

I've found the dollar store Lock n Lock knock offs to be nearly worthless. Old peanut butter and pickle jars can work if they are plastic. Please do not use glass. If you do use old food jars, they need to be washed and soaked repeatedly to get any residual food odors out, or animals will make quick work of them.

As far medicine bottles, if he means the brown prescription pill bottles, forget it. They will leak and they become fragile and can shatter in sub freezing weather. Wide mouth pill bottles with a screw top like the kind that they have in pharmacies, and vitamin bottles are a bit better.

How much do ammo cans usually run?

Also what other cheap (but good) containers are out there?

I have seen some made from PVC or plumbing pipe. there are tons of sizes and twist on caps or plugs for the ends. it should be cheap. and very sturdy.

I though so too, then priced all the parts at Home Depot. Came to about $10 -$15 depending on the fittings I chose. Never mind that caches in PVC piles usually leak. I've rarely found a cache in one that was dry.

If you tighten the end cap enough to keep out water, finders can't open it. If you keep it loose enough for finders to be able to open it, water gets in.

Hmmmm...... Let's see what I can come up with that's "cheap" (in order of size)

NANO CACHES- Small magnetic caches that are less than an inch tall that can easily stick to any metal surface. With experiance, these li'l caches can become a real pain to find (especially in a row of fence :huh:) Approximate value- $3-$5

"Bison" tubes- Bigger than the nanoes, these caches are still quite small (normally 1.75 inches tall) and have a key ring attached, so it can be hung from trees and bushes. These caches are easily available in CVS, REA, pharmacies, and health stores. Approximate value- $2-$5

"Scuba Tubes- These are a bigger version of the bison tubes that have an "official geocache" print of it, and can come in green, camo, or black. These cache are also sold by Groundspeak. Approximate value- $6-$8

Pill containers- A Classic among geocachers, these containers are free, and bountiful (especially if you take A LOT of pills) but are not waterproof or sunproof. If you must hide one, do it in an area with cover and protection from the elements, and take the liberty of stocking it with a waterproof log. Approximate value- $0

Film Canisters- The black and gray containers are not good. Get the white containers, they are more resiliant and waterproof. Approximate value- $0-$1

Waterproof match containers- Cheap. Durable. Resistant. Don't know what else to say.... Oh Yeah! Available at walmart, and other common stores. Approximate value- $1-$3

Preform Soda Bottles- Although not very available, these slim containers can slide into narrow crevices, and will take quite a beating. They are completely waterproof, but might warp if exposed to the son for long periods of time. Approximate value- $3

Decon containers- Used by the military, these containers can easily double as submersible geocaches and provide a rugged, and heavy duty outline, big enough to hold items, and it's already green so you won't have to camo it. Approximate value- $6

Tupper wares- Although it might not be totally waterproof, tupperwares can stand up reasonably to the elemants. Be Sure to wash it out before you use it though. Approximate value- $2- $7

Peanut butter jars- I admit, these do display good qualities of a competent cache, but they do have that peanut butter smell that can attract wild animals. If you're going to place this somewhere, make it away from animals. Approximate value- $0

Lock and Lock containers- An absolute GODSEND to the geocaching universe. Easily aquirrable, cheap, and waterproof, these containers can be hidden in almost any environment, and are large enough to acommidate most types of swag. Approximate value- $2- $10

Pelican Containers- Albeit it's high cost, you won't regret having these. They are practically INDESTRUCTABLE and won't crack, rot, warp, leak, fade, break, split, rust, decompose, get eaten, melt, tear, break down, unseal itself, etc. Approximate value- $18- $25

Ammo Boxes- Almost as indestructable as the pelicans, the only way these things will get water in them is if someone incorrectly closes it. Approximate value- $5-$12

Hope this helped you :P