Duplicate Finds!

vogelly

I live in a RV and travel about the USA caching along the way. I recently purchased a Geomate jr to help in finding caches during quick pit stops easier, ie at rest areas or grocery stores, without cranking up the computer. I recently discovered that after I posted a find that I had found the same cache nearly 2 years ago thus giving me double credit for the same cache. Shouldn‘t the system be designed to prevent this from happening? I don’t have a problem tracking down the same cache twice but I don’t want double credit. It just doesn’t seem ethical to me. Please advise. Thanks……………..

mike

@Beaver Creek Resort, Gaylord, Michigan

The system doesn't prevent double logging. In your, case, i would change the second to a "note."

It does seem strange that it's set up in this way, it wouldn't be too difficult to change so a second time found cache didn't increment your total, so I guess it must be a deliberate decision?

I would suggest being able to log 'found it' multiple times is fine, as it's perfectly legitimate to visit a cache multiple times, to transfer travel bugs etc, but it shouldn't increase your find count by doing so, IMO.

There are a very few old caches where it's "acceptable practice" to log more than one find e.g. in UK we have "Ye Ole Survey Monuments" so perhaps that's one reason why the option to accept multiple logs from the same account still remains.

MrsB

Also in the early days of caching the caches could be moved, I think I have 4 or 5 caches that I've logged twice. The shortest move was about 1/4 mile the longest was about 10 miles B)