SCACHING

gearhog

This a new offshoot hobby I just randomly thought of while using my little 50cc Piaggio scooter to seek out a nearby cache. I haven`t geocached for over a year because I bought a big Dodge Ram and the thing has a love affair with gas stations and that relationship can get costly. So the Geocaching hobby took a back seat until I bought the 115 mpg scooter. Its actually fun cruising around looking for caches ,unless its a family outing because only one member will fit on the back lol. Do your wallet and the planet a favour and go pick up a scooter, they are cheap and easily maintained . :D You may feel inadequate, especially when Harleys pass you but you`ll get used to looking like a nerd. If your here and talking about Geocaching your probably already a bit of a nerd anyway lol

Im looking forward to reading comments and hearing from folks who have used scooters or who are contemplating buying one and Im expecting wisecrack comments so bring it on !!!!!!!

HAPPY SCACHING :D

I'm getting a Vespa (125 or 250) in Oct - for the same reasons really - I have a Rav 4 at the moment which does about 19mpg and just loves fuel - and the price of fuel here is horrendous. I go to Uni in Oct - but my placement is only 3 miles down the road at the local hospital - so I thought it would be much better to have a scooter to save on fuel - plus it is free parking at the hospital for scooters. Another reason is I want to do the Brighton scooter run. But I will use it to do local caches.

My girlfriend and I would love to get a scooter or a vespa, but living in So-Cal its not really that smart. People hardly pay attention to huge SUV's, let alone small scooters.

This would be so nice farther up north though where there is less traffic.

I presume you mean Siskiyou County. :D

I brought a motorcycle with me when I moved to the Santa Cruz area, but after a few rides I decided it was far more risky than riding in rural Michigan was. Too few roads, too congested and distracted drivers everywhere. :D

Sounds like a good option for well maintained trails which are level or only have slight rises and descents.

I prefer my old Cannondale mountain bike, though. Feel the burn! :(

I dint mean use the scooter on the trails just to get you near them. That sounds like fun if you had a dirt bike or ATV.

I have a diesel F-350 that gets 16-17 mpg. I talked to a guy yesterday that was riding a scooter, it has a 650CC engine in it, 54 mpg, and he rides it in San Antonio. He is braver than me, but I would love to have one for Geoing. The thing looks like an eight foot long vespa.

I'm all for this. I have just taken up geocaching while traveling this summer. I have a Honda Reflex scooter that I plan on using to geocache when I get home next week. Sure will make parking much easier than driving an RV and towing the scooter!

Now, I just need to figure out how to navigate to the caches and drive the scooter at the same time.

Love the term scaching! :)

Sprintergyrl

I'm all for this. I have just taken up geocaching while traveling this summer. I have a Honda Reflex scooter that I plan on using to geocache when I get home next week. Sure will make parking much easier than driving an RV and towing the scooter!

Now, I just need to figure out how to navigate to the caches and drive the scooter at the same time.

Love the term scaching! :)

Sprintergyrl

Ram Mounts are great for holding GPSr or other items. I use a 300cc scooter while caching sometimes.

I have a Big Ruckus that I use to ride around here in Kitsap County and also trailer it with the Roadtrek. I loved it but then I lost 3 tendions in my 85 year old shoulder and now I have a bad aortic valve so after labor day we are trailering it over to near Jackson, Wy to give to my 26 year old grandson. He will love riding it. About all I can do is geocache, drive and feed myself. OH, yes the mouth still works.

My husband used to have a scooter, but it turned out to be fairly dangerous in Denver, and he had two rather bad accidents before finally selling it. Costs a lot of money to get a rotator cuff repaired in your shoulder. Or maybe that was his excuse to get his Harley... heh.

But, I do know that there are folks who just love their scooters, and they are an extremely economical and fun way to travel, not to mention environmentally friendly. Also, there are often local groups of folks who get together and ride their scooters together. I'll bet that's a ton of fun.

I'm too chicken to ride motorized things with two wheels, but fortunately my cachemobile gets 36 mpg!! I love my car.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

I presume you mean Siskiyou County. :rolleyes:

Now thats really up north!

Maybe the trick is to get a truck, and drive the scooter to the area where you are going to cache and then off load it and ride it around.

I have a scooter (Honda Elite 80) and it works well - 84 MPG, cruises around 40. Good for around town. I've actually been thinking about getting something I could put it on the back, and take it on my Explorer/Mountaineer and go to some cache rich areas a few hours away, then use the scooter to go get them all. Anyone have any suggestions for something that carries them?

But it is nice to pull up, hop off, get the cache, hop back on, and go on to the next one, without thinking about how much gas I'm gonna have to put in it later lol.