new to geocaching!

pernilla&gjengen

Just wanted to say hi.

We're a family with to parents and two small kids who were recently introduced to geocaching.

We went on our first expedition yesterday, and it has every bit of potential for being addicitve.

we'll need a better gps though, our tomtom is not meant to drag along on hike like that..

I myself have grown up using map and compass for this sort of games, but this is even more fun, what with the on line logs and all.

any other families out there?

Our kids are 3 and 1 years old.

<_<

Just wanted to say hi.

We're a family with to parents and two small kids who were recently introduced to geocaching.

We went on our first expedition yesterday, and it has every bit of potential for being addicitve.

we'll need a better gps though, our tomtom is not meant to drag along on hike like that..

I myself have grown up using map and compass for this sort of games, but this is even more fun, what with the on line logs and all.

any other families out there?

Our kids are 3 and 1 years old.

<_<

That's awesome to hear!

Always good to hear about families being active together!

Welcome to the addiction!

<_< Welcome! We live in the Cleveland, OH area, and I was recently searching for something new to do in the Metro Park system. I came across Geocaching, and to be honest, this is one the best things for me and my family to do together. Kids love it because of the possibility of finding "treasure" and the adults love it because it is a challenge. I am looking for more people close by who also enjoy it, as we are hopelessly addicted!!

Hello! We are also a small family, caching with our 15 month old! He doesn't walk on his own yet so we finger walk him, but he loves being out! :laughing:

We also will need to get a new GPS, I have the iphone app and we have...I think a TomTom for the car.

Welcome, I hope you have alot of fun!

We are a small family just starting as well. And yep its fairly addictive. Have 65 finds so far, and only been doing it for a month.

It is quite enjoyable to get out for a walk with the kids (They are 6 and 7), since it seems to be almost impossible to get them to go on walks. Now they ask "Dad, can we go Geocaching today", and I park extra far away to lengthen the journey :laughing:

My family tried geocaching for the first time yesterday. We consist of me, my husband, and our 17-year-old son. I thought it would be a hobby that we could all enjoy and wasn't too expensive (we already had a GPS). Unfortunately, we went to 4 sites and didn't find anything at any of them. It was so discouraging! I think it's going to be difficult to get my men to try it again. :laughing:

Wecome to all who are new! We see a lot of youngsters out with their parents...that is one reason we like to place something in caches that we think kids will go to. We saw a little boy fall in love with two polished pebbles we had just placed in a cache, so it doesn't have to be something extravagant. The parents made sure he only took one, so we "rewarded" him with another we had in our stash when he made his decision.

If a cache is getting low, like many other cachers, we will leave a few things so children will not be disappointed.

My family tried geocaching for the first time yesterday. We consist of me, my husband, and our 17-year-old son. I thought it would be a hobby that we could all enjoy and wasn't too expensive (we already had a GPS). Unfortunately, we went to 4 sites and didn't find anything at any of them. It was so discouraging! I think it's going to be difficult to get my men to try it again. :(

To the OP: Welcome to the game, the sport, the addiction that is geocaching. :) It is wholesome and a great family activity!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To CacheADoodleDo:

LOL... a mom dragging the men in her family out for a geocaching trip? Isn't it usually the other way around??? Hope that does not come off as sexist (not my intent!).

Did you research each cache on geocaching.com BEFORE you went out looking? Not that you must do this (some folks make it a point NOT to do this...to make it more fun for them) but the one purpose it can serve is to give you an idea of what you are in for. For example, you can find-out if the cache is down for maintenance, has recently been muggled, or has a long string of DNFs. You can also find the size of the cache and the difficulty of the terrain (which can help you prepare).

If you are doing this....well....just keep at it! Everyone who does this sport gets a few DNFs, especially at the beginning. But even experienced cachers have off days...then they go back the next day and find it...or they just forget about it and simply move on to the next find. I think the point of this is to relax and enjoy it.

Tom

My wife and I were just introduced to geocaching by a friend. We love that it's an adventure we can do together with our 14 month old son in tow! I can see this as something we can all do and he'll enjoy trips out to interesting places and when he's a little older he'll have a blast with the actual GCing.

We also decided that we'd take every opportunity to drag friends along on our trips!

we're VERY new to this (just 3 finds so far and my wife is already mad at me 'cos I found the 3rd one without her!)

Looking forward to many adventures to come!

Welcome! We're new to this, too. My daughter and I were spending way too much time on Facebook. Now we've notified out Facebook friends that our Farmville's are closed (at least until the dead of winter) and we've been out caching every day. I'm also finding out much more about my daughter's life while we're on our quests than I did by reading her Facebook page over her shoulder!

Edited by MindyRN6

We also decided that we'd take every opportunity to drag friends along on our trips!

we're VERY new to this (just 3 finds so far and my wife is already mad at me 'cos I found the 3rd one without her!)

Looking forward to many adventures to come!

I'd suggest being somewhat selective when taking a muggle with you. Pardon to those who've heard this story before...

I took a muggle friend of mine out for a couple of hours of caching. First stop was a hide in a stump along a scenic canal. Close to the GZ, he steps over to a couple of elderly gentleman sitting on a bench to talk about their dog. During his coversation he YELLS over "Did you find it yet?!?" :(

A little later, we drive into a gas station where the lamp post hide was placed near a busy intersection and at the entrance to the gas station. There is a number of muggles stopped at the light and at gas station where we are in full view. It's bad time of day to grab this cache. I tell him (he's driving) that we'll pass on this one and move on. He jumps out of the car runs over to the lamp post skirt, lifts it up to see what is there, and then runs back to the car. I got to watch a driver 15 feet away, stopped at the light, watch this whole thing unfold. He was so engrossed that he didn't notice the light change. :):P

Some people just don't understand the concept of being discreet.