Oregon x50 software version 3.74 Beta

allory

I updated my 450t to 3.74. I now have the issue others have mentioned about editing waypoint names. I can only use letters, no letters or punctuation marks.

try updating to again using the regular update routine. that fixed it for me.

Dakota 20. Today I noticed what it seems to be a consequence of this update (although it might be the fact I'm using a card with the data, which I never did before): sometimes the GPS lose date when I turn it off, like the active geocache or the orientation of the map. Anyone knows anything about this issue?

Oh another thing... I notice the old and very first dashboard for geocaching is missing and as it happens it was my favorite I'm a little pissed. You know... that one with the little frog of Groundspeak and the counter of founds...

mines going back to R.E.I same problem <_<

Well I'm glad I took mine back to R.E.I, they ran my sales slip then scanned the new 450 and surprise it was listed at $349.99, $50.00 less then it was back in May :wacko::wacko:

If you go back to REI this Friday you may be able to save another $100 - the 450 will be on sale for $250 over Labor Day.

yeah I received their flyer today but I'll pass, as long as it's working I'm happy :wacko:

Dakota 20. Today I noticed what it seems to be a consequence of this update (although it might be the fact I'm using a card with the data, which I never did before): sometimes the GPS lose date when I turn it off, like the active geocache or the orientation of the map. Anyone knows anything about this issue?

Mine often doesn't remember my previous navigation target after a power cycle, and it's been that way since day 1. Then again, I'm not sure my Summit HC always remembered, either. Seems to be a hit-and-miss thing. Sometimes it remembers, sometimes it doesn't.

Oregon x50 software version 3.74 Beta

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4743

Changes made from version 3.71 to 3.74:

* Added multicaching support.

* Added display color to track gpx files.

* Added ability to set user declination direction.

* Improved accuracy of trip odometer.

* Fixed occasional shutdowns.

* Fixed issue with stuck route button.

* Fixed issue with Oblique Mercator User grid.

* Problems with the software may be reported to OregonBeta@garmin.com.

* Further Instructions for units with 3.71:

The unit must be held in boot block to apply the update.

1. Unplug all Garmin devices from the computer at this time.

2. Run Oregonx50_371_to_374.exe.

3. Select 'USB Device' from the following menu.

4. Shut down the Oregon if it is running.

5. Press and hold the power button.

6. Attach the USB Cable.

7. When the text box next to 'USB Device' shows your unit information, press OK.

8. Once the device screen flashes, release the power button, but do not unplug unit.

9. Wait for the update to complete.

Right after I upgraded my Oregon 450 to 3.52 I was consistently locking on to sat 48 and 51 a getting lots of cute little "D's". I recently upgraded to 3.74 without any problems and everything seems to be working well with the exception of locking on to 48 and 51. Seldom to I see any "D's". This may be my imagination. Anyone else having this problem.

OldA'sFan

I updated my 450t to 3.74. I now have the issue others have mentioned about editing waypoint names. I can only use letters, no letters or punctuation marks.

try updating to again using the regular update routine. that fixed it for me.

I appreciate the the tip. I did that and the issue is resolved. Thank you.

Right after I upgraded my Oregon 450 to 3.52 I was consistently locking on to sat 48 and 51 a getting lots of cute little "D's". I recently upgraded to 3.74 without any problems and everything seems to be working well with the exception of locking on to 48 and 51. Seldom to I see any "D's". This may be my imagination. Anyone else having this problem.

OldA'sFan

can't confirm that, WAAS still seems to be as good as ever for me. i'm gonna pay more attention to it now though.

what exactly is the new multicache feature, please?

I'm wondering whether or not to risk the upgrade :unsure:

in the "geocache" menu, there's a new option: "enter next stage". it brings up the usual coordinate entry dialog and then automatically creates a new waypoint called "next stage", starts navigating to it and also copies over all of the cache details to that new waypoint, meaning that you can still look at the full description, hints etc, and mark the whole cache as "found" in the end.

did anyone else notice their geocache_visits.txt regenerating after having been deleted? meaning that entries from a previously deleted file will suddenly reappear?

No, I'm fairly certain that hasn't happened to me. I use a GSAK macro to process my field notes and upload them to the Web site, and the macro (after giving me the option) deletes the file on the unit. Do you manually delete the file or is it deleted as part of some other process, like a macro?

--Larry

did anyone else notice their geocache_visits.txt regenerating after having been deleted? meaning that entries from a previously deleted file will suddenly reappear?

No, that definitely hasn't happened to me, and I've been caching almost every day since loading beta 3.74. I do not use GSAK...just upload the notes directly from my 550t. After logging I delete them manually from the "visit" file.

Bill

To all that have bricked their 550. Mine is recovered. I tried to recover mine using Method #2 in the Oregon Wiki and it didn’t work because I tried the 2.50_Updater.zip which is for the x00 models. Use the rgn firmware for x50 in the next paragraph down and it should work.

Here's the link to the recovery.

Here's the x50 recovery software.

I updated my GPSr this morning and bricked it! Thanks so much for this posting! The recovery worked on the first try and I did not lose any data! Thank god! I had waypoints marked where my great, great and great, great, great grandparents farmed and are buried, as well as a geotagged photo of where my fiancé proposed to me! It would have made me sick to lose all this.... and my main geocaching tool!

I've now updated to the most recent version and look forward to seeing what the multi-cache improvement is all about!

Because sometimes my brain isn't perfect. Life is pulling me many directions right now...

Here's Garmin's suggestion:

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I will be happy to help you with this. I am sorry to update did not work and caused these issues. I would like to try and force the software in doing a boot block.

I would be happy to help you do a boot block on your device.

First make sure the unit is turned off.

Next please download and install the webupdater program.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

After installing the program, please launch it and proceed to the point that it asks to find the device.

Now press and hold the power button, and plug the unit into the computer. I would recommend you hold the power button with your off had (IE a right handed person should hold it with their left)

Click on Find Device and let it find your unit.

Now click next and agree in Webupdater while continuing to hold the power button.

Let Webupdater finish installing and now unplug your unit. Let go the power button and reboot the unit. It should load in the software and your unit should now behave like normal.