Heavy Duty (offroad) GPS Mount

Finally received my new Oregon on sunday, and I've been looking at mounts to solidly mount this thing in my cachemobile (Toyota Tacoma), and so far I'm not satified with the options that are out there. RAM mounts has probably the closest thing to what I want, but its still a windshield mount, which I think I want to get away from. I often travel into CA where window mounts are illegal, not to mention they tend to bounce around alot.

I was wondering if anyone had come up with a solution, either home-made or commercial, to mount a gps and/or phone solidly to the dash of a vehicle? Ideally I'd like something that I could use to mount my Oregon and Iphone in the vehicle that doesn't involve a suction cup, and wont send the units flying into the back seat the first time I hit a bump. I have the means to fabricate pretty much anything I want, just figured I'd ask here first so I dont end up reinventing the wheel. Thanks in advance!

Fabricate the mount to the dashboard, connect it to the RAM cradle & arm. The arm mount is solid. they sell all of their components a la carte so you can build up whatever you need.

I think this is the route I'm going to end up taking. I have a RAM mount on my dirtbike for my old etrex and its unbelievably stout, which is good because I suck at riding dirtbikes :P I think I'll just buy the oregon cradle and a bolt on base and go from there.

I made my own mounts (from RAM base units). Though the RAM attachment devices are pretty rugged, I tend to "push the limit" off road and my equipment pays the price (so has my body).

Here is my Tomtom and Garmin Vista mounted to my Dual Sport (Honda XR650L)

Moto-bars.jpg

Vibration was a serious issue, so I came up with this interface plate. It is made from .09" thick aluminum (5052), and surgical tubing. I used Dow Corning #732 silicone sealant to bond the surgical tubing to the aluminum. I stress tested this setup to failure in the lab before I made two more for vehicle installation (Motorcycle and mountain bike). I loaded the fixture in the shear axis, and the tension (pull) axis with 50 pounds (static load). It finally let loose somewhere in excess of 75 pounds in the shear axis, probably due more to the "peal" condition of the bond than the strength of the material itself. The hole pattern on all the ram mounts (Tomtom and Garmin) are identical, so I did not have to design two different configurations.

PICT1152.jpg

PICT1158.jpg

Vibrationisolation1.jpg

Vib_extension.jpg

Here is the setup on the mountain bike.

Bicycle_Bars7.jpg

I did not need to vibration mount the GPS in my 4X4, but I did rip off the dash and mount directly to the steel cage that attached to the firewall. Super sturdy! I have adapters that permit me to interchange any of my GPS devices (yes, I have more than one) and my cell phone for hands free operation.

truckdash.jpg

P1000992.jpg

NOV8TR, Very nicely done! I also have a the same Ram mount for my legend on my CR-250. Seems the arm movement provides enough damping that I haven't had any issues. Your vehicle mount is right up the alley of what I would like to do with my truck. I think I'll pull the console cover off this weekend and see if I can find a solid mounting point.

Here are two styles of vent mounts I've made. One for a handheld, the other a Nuvi.

These are purty straightforward. The Nuvi vent mount is a standard Nuvi suction cup deal. Mounting disc is adhered to bent stainless steel plate.

The handheld vent mount is another bent SS piece riveted to a custom cradle I made by modifying a small fire extinguisher bracket. Adhesive backed foam applied for grip and scratch prevention. Side tangs are flexible and can hold a small Etrex or a bigger Delorme.

I hate windshield mounts. Plus, I can see small screens (Etrex) mounted lower while wearing my bifocal glasses. Plus I don't have to reach up. Units are just near the steering wheel. Main advantage is I can just remove and use on another vehicle.

Handheld with GPS in the dash.

HandHMGPSDash.jpg

Handheld mount in dash, no GPS.

HandHMindash.jpg

Bottom View of Handheld mount.

HandHMbotview.jpg

Nuvi mount in dash.

NuviinDash.jpg

Top view of Nuvi mount.

NiviMtopview.jpg

NOV8TR,

Outstanding job on that shock plate. Very clever. I made a clamp on cradle for mounting my handhelds to the handlebars of an ATV using the same cradle (FE bracket) as shown with the Delorme above. Not as much shock on the ATV like you'd have on the bike, but I/m gonna copy your plate for sure.