new website featuring a 'cache of the day'

remdim

Hi all,

I've created a place for sharing stories and pictures that go along with geocaching adventures. One cache's story will be featured every day and they will be submitted from users from all over.

My hope is that this will become a place where geocacher's can share in other's experiences, joys, frustrations, and laugh and learn a bit along the way. If this sounds interesting you can find it at:

www.cacheoftheday.com

If you have any questions or comments please contact me at cacheoftheday@gmail.com

Thanks and happy geocaching!

I support any and all ways to share geocaching stories, so let me offer you this... post these to The Online Geocacher Magazine, our real-time free ad-free geocaching stories magazine by for and about geocachers.

That will gain you a large audience immediately and eliminate duplication of effort.

We would love to host such efforts as a regular part of the magazine.

If for whatever reason you want to maintain your own site send me a link and I will publish it in TOG.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Hi all,

I've created a place for sharing stories and pictures that go along with geocaching adventures. One cache's story will be featured every day and they will be submitted from users from all over.

My hope is that this will become a place where geocacher's can share in other's experiences, joys, frustrations, and laugh and learn a bit along the way. If this sounds interesting you can find it at:

www.cacheoftheday.com

If you have any questions or comments please contact me at cacheoftheday@gmail.com

While reading about interesting caches can be fun, the site you have will likely become a collection of geocaches that 99% of geocachers will never find. So far, all of them are in Wisconsin. This is an international game with players all over the world.

This is an international game with players all over the world.

Then be proactive and sumbit a cache.

Yep; that's key! The cache's on the site are currently only from Wisconsin because I'm the only one creating content at the moment. I'm working on building momentum to get posts submitted from others from various locations...

Thanks!

Edited by remdim

While reading about interesting caches can be fun, the site you have will likely become a collection of geocaches that 99% of geocachers will never find. So far, all of them are in Wisconsin. This is an international game with players all over the world.

my understanding is that the site is not to promote/recommend any particular caches, but rather about sharing personal stories/experiences

those are always fun to read and perhaps even learn something useful

Edited by t4e

There is a cache in Venice Beach i found last week that I might submit. But I only have a few pictures....probably 3. Would that be enough to submit an entry?

Absolutely. Ideally a story is well-narrated by accompanying photos that help weave the experience together; if your pictures help do that then it's great!

There is a cache in Venice Beach i found last week that I might submit. But I only have a few pictures....probably 3. Would that be enough to submit an entry?

Absolutely. Ideally a story is well-narrated by accompanying photos that help weave the experience together; if your pictures help do that then it's great!

This cache is firmly wedged in my top 5 awesome caching experiences.

Organize a CITO event. :(

Odds are, after 361 finds you know of at least one place which could use some help!

are you sure you replied in the appropriate thread? :)

Sloppy of me, but that was more directed to the 'Publish your own cache' fork of the thread. CITOs can have some great stories, too, like when we pulled 70+ bottles from under a briar patch and found a hollow with a small tree growing up through the middle. Quite rewarding.

Edited by DragonsWest

Hi all,

www.cacheoftheday.com

I ask.. so what? Isn't Wisconsin the center of the Universe?

Hi all,

www.cacheoftheday.com

Funny! It's a pretty nice place (at least IMHO) but the winters do get a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle bit too long....

Funny! It's a pretty nice place (at least IMHO) but the winters do get a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitle bit too long....

bflentje knows that... he is what is known as a "mud duck" by those in the western part of your state. :laughing:

Nope. It is in Idaho. Wallace to be exact. The Mayor said so.

Someone else thinks Oklahoma but we all know that is just a weird story.

@ the OP Good luck on your best cache site.

Although this is better saved for off topic, I would be remiss to my state if I did not point out that Felicity California is the Center of the World and by extension, the universe. But as far at the "cache of the day" goes, its sometimes fun to see what others have done. And it may even inspire a trip or two.

Yep; that's key! The cache's on the site are currently only from Wisconsin because I'm the only one creating content at the moment. I'm working on building momentum to get posts submitted from others from various locations...

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, is the 7/21/2010 entry your cache? I ask because it's typically considered bad form to post photos of a unique container like that (although I've seen several other hollowed out log containers). I've got a ton of photos I took near the "Victoria Falls" cache in Zimbabwe. Perhaps I'll submit something for that one.

Thanks!

Out of curiosity, is the 7/21/2010 entry your cache? I ask because it's typically considered bad form to post photos of a unique container like that (although I've seen several other hollowed out log containers). I've got a ton of photos I took near the "Victoria Falls" cache in Zimbabwe. Perhaps I'll submit something for that one.

Nope; not mine. Just a unique hide I happened to find.

You bring up a good point; I've been debating how much should be shown. I already removed the GC codes so as not to allow someone local to the hide to just type it in and have already seen a walk-through. I suppose something similar could be done with the title names though.

My original idea for the website was to have a global audience; with over a million geocaches hidden it would mean that A ) people would see very few (if any) in their local area and therefore not be 'cheating', and B ) most all hide types would be similar to another one somewhere else in the world and therefore not be exposing a particular unique idea.

Is it still revealing too much though? I only came to see my first "tree branch cutout" hide after dozens of caches worth of experience....does highlighting one on the site risk exposing it to a caching newbie? Would that take any of the joy out of finding that first 4-star hide? These are still the questions I wrestle with.

Perhaps the focus of the site should instead be about the experience and what unique location the cache brought the person to. No pictures of the cache or hide; just scenery and why it was a special trek for the person.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the dialogue!

Edited by remdim

Updates: I took away the pictures that were explicitly showing where the cache's were hidden; now there are only 'obvious land markers' and pictures of the general area where the cache is. Hopefully this will not detract from the interest of the site. I just want people to have the same challenging experiences I have had!

Regarding your question about the "spoilers"....you will get many differing opinions on that. With very rare exceptions, like once or twice a year, we've stopped using the phone a friend option when we get stuck. We have learned we really enjoy the "aha" when we finally find one that has us stumped. We'll take the DNF, we might ask the cache owner for a general hint, but we like the discovery aspect...which is for us, what this hobby is all about.

Others would like the preview and hints, as they might find it a learning experience that helps with hunts on down the road. In the end, it's your site and you should feel free to offer up your vision of the site.

As for Bart's comment about the center of the universe......it's about time someone across the rivers accepted this fact! :laughing:

Regarding your question about the "spoilers"....you will get many differing opinions on that. With very rare exceptions, like once or twice a year, we've stopped using the phone a friend option when we get stuck. We have learned we really enjoy the "aha" when we finally find one that has us stumped. We'll take the DNF, we might ask the cache owner for a general hint, but we like the discovery aspect...which is for us, what this hobby is all about.

To extend the"spoilers" aspect a bit; the topic of posting pictures in cache logs comes up a lot here and one of the issues that I often bring up goes beyond posting photos which show the location of the cache or a unique container. Those could certainly spoil the "aha" moment for someone seeking the cache. However, for a lot of caches, the journey to get to the cache location and the discovery of a scenic view, a very pretty hidden spot in the woods, or an interesting object near the cache may be what a specific cache is all about. Posting photos near the cache location can spoil the wow factor of the cache location. For example, one of my caches is about 1/4 mile down a trail that begins at a parking lot. I would bet that most locals don't even know the trail exists, and even those that do, but haven't taken it wouldn't know what awaits as they following the trail towards the cache. There are a few interesting features along the trail then it winds through some high bush close to the cache and opens up close to a very pretty creek with a small cascading waterfall. The contrast of the parking lot and the location around the cache is what, IMHO, makes the cache special and I've asked those that find it not to post pictures so that those seeking it can have the same discovery experience that I had when placing the cache.

To extend the"spoilers" aspect a bit; the topic of posting pictures in cache logs comes up a lot here and one of the issues that I often bring up goes beyond posting photos which show the location of the cache or a unique container. Those could certainly spoil the "aha" moment for someone seeking the cache. However, for a lot of caches, the journey to get to the cache location and the discovery of a scenic view, a very pretty hidden spot in the woods, or an interesting object near the cache may be what a specific cache is all about. Posting photos near the cache location can spoil the wow factor of the cache location. For example, one of my caches is about 1/4 mile down a trail that begins at a parking lot. I would bet that most locals don't even know the trail exists, and even those that do, but haven't taken it wouldn't know what awaits as they following the trail towards the cache. There are a few interesting features along the trail then it winds through some high bush close to the cache and opens up close to a very pretty creek with a small cascading waterfall. The contrast of the parking lot and the location around the cache is what, IMHO, makes the cache special and I've asked those that find it not to post pictures so that those seeking it can have the same discovery experience that I had when placing the cache.

Some of us will never make it to these locations and enjoy the pictures. I know I did when I looked through his page.

Edited by EhFhQ

That's a good point NYPaddleCacher; I hadn't really thought about it from that angle. I will definitely keep that in mind. Hopefully the featured caches will be geographically spread out enough that people won't encounter the same ones.

I think I'll tack on a 'feedback'-type spot on the site and wait to see what kind of responses I get. If I get the feeling that people are missing out on experiences for whatever reason I'll retool the site or just pull the whole thing down. The last thing I want is to change anyone's game.