I'm wanting to adopt a cache

DannyCaffeine

There is a cache near me thats beat up, has wrong coords and the owner of it has no finds. They apparently just hid it and left the game. It just kind of bugs me because its a really cool place for a cache and it's just abandoned. Obviously the owner is not responding to my asking. I know I can maintence it myself I just think it would be easier if I could adopt it since I could edit the coords and get NM alerts.

Is there a way of doing this without the owner?

Here is the link http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ce-66d0e43ce82b

There is a cache near me thats beat up, has wrong coords and the owner of it has no finds. They apparently just hid it and left the game. It just kind of bugs me because its a really cool place for a cache and it's just abandoned. Obviously the owner is not responding to my asking. I know I can maintence it myself I just think it would be easier if I could adopt it since I could edit the coords and get NM alerts.

Is there a way of doing this without the owner?

Here is the link http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ce-66d0e43ce82b

In a word, No, the owner must give permission for the adoption. The best way to deal with this is submit a Needs Archived log. Once it is archived, you can place another one in that spot.

As long as cachers are logging finds on it, it's unlikely to be archived so you've actually helped to keep it alive a bit longer by adding your own, more accurate, co-ords to your Found It log.

I'd add another NM log to show that the logbook and container are still very wet. In a month's time if the cache owner has not re-appeared and others are complaining that it's still in the same condition then I'd put a NA log on it. Don't feel bad about it - If it's as you say and the owner has long gone it's better that the cache should go too. Then somebody who's actively caching and can see the potential of the location (i.e. you!) can place a new cache which will provide fresh, new smiley opportunities for all. :)

MrsB

As long as cachers are logging finds on it, it's unlikely to be archived so you've actually helped to keep it alive a bit longer by adding your own, more accurate, co-ords to your Found It log.

I'd add another NM log to show that the logbook and container are still very wet. In a month's time if the cache owner has not re-appeared and others are complaining that it's still in the same condition then I'd put a NA log on it. Don't feel bad about it - If it's as you say and the owner has long gone it's better that the cache should go too. Then somebody who's actively caching and can see the potential of the location (i.e. you!) can place a new cache which will provide fresh, new smiley opportunities for all. :)

MrsB

I respectully disagree. If the cache is basically junk with a log for people to sign, why keep it around any longer? No maintainence, no owner, should = no cache. Post the NA and get your own cache ready for when the spot becomes available. Should take a couple weeks.

MrsB

I respectully disagree. If the cache is basically junk with a log for people to sign, why keep it around any longer? No maintainence, no owner, should = no cache. Post the NA and get your own cache ready for when the spot becomes available. Should take a couple weeks.

I respect your respectful disagreement. :)

We disagree only in the period of time allowable before smiting the cache with the almighty NA log...

Bring on the thunderclap!

lightning.gif

MrsB

If a cache is an unmaintained trash pile owned by an inactive player you have 3 options:

1) Put it on your watchlist, fix it up and maintain it yourself as if you had adopted it.

2) Put a "needs archived" on it explaining the situation and when it gets archived go clean up what's left and put you or someone else can put a new cache there.

3) Ignore it and let someone else deal with it.

If the cache has a long or significant history, I'd go with option 1. Otherwise, I'd go with option 2.

Which you choose is up to you.

Cache adoption is rarely called for. A cache of historic importance or a very unique and/or clever container that is still operational but can't be recreated... these are probably good reasons for adoption. But just an ordinary cache... nawww... If its in a cool place, then place your own cache there as soon as the current one goes bye-bye.

As for posting a NA log, that's your call. Seems appropriate to me, based on what I can see from the logs and the owner's lack of activity.

If a cache is an unmaintained trash pile owned by an inactive player you have 3 options:

1) Put it on your watchlist, fix it up and maintain it yourself as if you had adopted it.

2) Put a "needs archived" on it explaining the situation and when it gets archived go clean up what's left and put you or someone else can put a new cache there.

3) Ignore it and let someone else deal with it.

If the cache has a long or significant history, I'd go with option 1. Otherwise, I'd go with option 2.

Which you choose is up to you.

The problem with #1 is that if a land owner or someone tries to directly contact the owner, the person maintaining the cache in proxy doesn't get those messages. Also, you are essentially changing/messing with something that someone else put out - i.e., not your property to mess with.

If the cache owner isn't involved, I'd say archive it and put up a "tribute" cache.

I think I am just going to take care of it for now and if it gets archived I will make another one. Thanks guys. I'm off to fetch a new container and log.

Is it possoble to ask a mod about update coords?

Please don't do that. Look at it this way, if you must... there are currently 51 cachers that would thank you for putting a new cache out there. But more importantly, as Markwell said, it isn't your cache to mess with. If it has an inactive owner, it needs to go away. If the owner is active, it will get fixed up.

The reviewer may chose to update the coordinates based on your request... I have had that done in a similar situation, but only after many logs attempting to get the cache owner to do it.

Edited by knowschad

I think I am just going to take care of it for now and if it gets archived I will make another one. Thanks guys. I'm off to fetch a new container and log.

I also think this is a horrible idea. If nothing else, just ignore it. Leave it to it's slow demise. Playing cache doctor in a situation like this just promotes laziness in cache owners.

Please don't do that. Look at it this way, if you must... there are currently 51 cachers that would thank you for putting a new cache out there. But more importantly, as Markwell said, it isn't your cache to mess with. If it has an inactive owner, it needs to go away. If the owner is active, it will get fixed up.

The reviewer may chose to update the coordinates based on your request... I have had that done in a similar situation, but only after many logs attempting to get the cache owner to do it.

+1 You really don't need to feel bad about archiving it. That's what the NA log is there for!

Well I talked to the CO again and she says I can adopt it. I suppose my last few tries did not go through. Hooray!

Do you know about the adopt link so she can officially transfer ownership over to you?

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/

Yep. The cache is in my name now so I am going to go fix it up :unsure:

51 cachers are now going, "awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.....!!" -_-

:o Just teasing you. You did what you felt was right. Even if it wasn't.

:) Still just teasing you.