Howe do you prep for your Geocaching tips?

Just want to see how everyone else gets ready to go out Caching, and how you track your trips.

(I have only found 3 cashes) What I have done is found a cach near by my house downloaded and then went out the front door and went looking for it... I never found it. Then the 2nd time I printed out the pages about each cach and figured out any codes they might have. Then I went out of my trip. The print out came in handy when I was out and about. (trying to find a better way then printing them out right now) My GPS has a little icon change when you indicate that you have found it. so then When I come home I just go through the list of Cachs and look for the new Icon and document them on website. Then I delete them off the GPS.

Well I hope we all learn something from each other discussing what we do to prep for our trips. :laughing:

What you do right now is what I did when I first started geocaching.

Then I stopped printing and started writing notes in a note-pad, I've also added using GSAK to print out a list for large caching runs or use an app on my cellphone for runs in cellphone territory.

I still go by my records on my notes or GPS for remembering what I found when I go to log.

Just want to see how everyone else gets ready to go out Caching, and how you track your trips.

(I have only found 3 cashes) What I have done is found a cach near by my house downloaded and then went out the front door and went looking for it... I never found it. Then the 2nd time I printed out the pages about each cach and figured out any codes they might have. Then I went out of my trip. The print out came in handy when I was out and about. (trying to find a better way then printing them out right now) My GPS has a little icon change when you indicate that you have found it. so then When I come home I just go through the list of Cachs and look for the new Icon and document them on website. Then I delete them off the GPS.

Well I hope we all learn something from each other discussing what we do to prep for our trips. :laughing:

You'll get about as many answers to this as their are geocachers.

Since you're a premium member you've already made things a lot easier for yourself. The most important tool you have access to is Pocket Queries. Basically, you're going to want to load up ypur GPS with lots of the nearby caches so that even when you're not out actively geocaching you can check to see if one is nearby. I'm not going to try to explain pocket queries, but instead point you to Markwells excellent page on how to use them (http://www.markwell.us/pq.htm). Set up some pocket queries to filter out puzzle caches, and those with a difficulty=3 or higher for your area. Then you'll want to become familiar with a waypoint management tool such as EasyGPS or GSAK. It's worth taking the time (and the money) to learn GSAK as it'll provide some options for paperless caching. If you've already got a smart phone there is probably an app that'll allow you to save cache listings on your phone (if you have an iPhone, get the Groundspeak geocaching app.). Otherwise, you can find a inexpensive PDA and use it for storing teh cache listings. You can also print off listings but they typically contain more information than you really need.

If you know you're going to a specific area, take some time to look over the caches in that area paying attention to any where there may be private property nearby, specific hours when you can't search for the cache and you may want to decode any hints.

What I used to do was just print out a list of waypoints from EasyGSP, save it to a file, annotate with additional notes I got from the full listings and print that out rather then the complete pages. Eventually you'll find a system that works best for you, so experiment and try a few different methods as not every approach works in every environment. My brother lives in your area so I know that it's a pretty cache dense area with a mix of suburban, parks, and more hikes the further you get up into the Sierra Nevada. I'm actually going to be there for a week starting next Saturday and will most likely do a bit of geoaching in the area and a bit up in the Red Bluff area (where my father lives).

My GPS allows for fully paperless caching....no more index cards with notes all over them or trying to find a printer to print the info first for me.

But I do keep a little leather journal with me that I write in my finds/do not finds, and any details I might want to log....even TB numbers I might find. I bring a Fisher Space Pen for writing in wet logs too....

I pack my "toolkit" in the car too, just in case.

Lovellbird

My GPS allows for fully paperless caching....no more index cards with notes all over them or trying to find a printer to print the info first for me.

But I do keep a little leather journal with me that I write in my finds/do not finds, and any details I might want to log....even TB numbers I might find. I bring a Fisher Space Pen for writing in wet logs too....

I pack my "toolkit" in the car too, just in case.

Lovellbird

What model GPSr are you doing paperless with?

The way I prepare for my trips is plan ahead. I spend time creating a log of caches in excel spreadsheet. I put the name of the cache, location, hints, closes city, driving directions, miles, completed yes or no. I keep everything in a clipboard with a compartment so I have it at any time. All of this goes in my backpack designated for Caching and it al stays in my car. Once in awhile I will pull out the list and go back to the master on my computer, I then get on geocaching.com and go through to see what is new or what is archived in order to update my info. If I have completed a cache I delete it off of my master list and when ready I print a new list. It sounds like a long process but when you have the master list it is just a simple update.

If I know I'm going to be caching in an area I haven't visited in a while, then the first thing I do is look for nearby puzzle caches. I add the ones I solve to my "solved unfound puzzles" bookmark list, which adds it to the corresponding PQ. I feed the PQ to boulter's Geocaching Basecamp, which allows me to download a GPX file with corrected coordinates.

I also create a PQ for non-puzzle caches in the area. Then I load these PQs into GeoBeagle.

If the terrain is gentle, then I just use GeoBeagle. If the terrain is such that I don't want to be holding my phone in my hand, then I load the coordinates into my old yellow eTrex by hand, and use GeoBeagle just for the paperless records.

I like to read cache pages before I go out so I know if I want to find the cache or not. I actually just load up the google map for the area I want to go to, and pick and choose. I don't really use pocket queries very often. I know, I'm weird. I will make a PQ if I plan on finding a whole bunch of caches along a specific route, and I know that I want to find them beforehand, it's just easier that way.

I load the GPXs into my car GPS for driving directions, and into my handheld for on the trail GPS, and also to cache paperlessly.

I make sure my backpack is packed, my car has gas, and off I go!

First off, I choose my general direction for the day and then use the google map feature to pick and choose what caches I want to try to find. Because I'm not paperless yet I use an 8 to a page form that gives me all the info I need on a cache. I double check to make sure that I have the info sheet on the specific caches I'm headed for. BTW, they're cut and sorted on carabiner's by direction from home so they're pocket sized - I remove them from the carabiner after they're found.

Since I'm both the navigator and the driver I write my planned route out - 'S on Hwy xxx to name of cache, e on xxxx to next cache and so on. I usually plan out between 20 and 30 caches for the day ending with how to get home from where I plan on ending up.

Update GPS, pack my stuff and get a good nights sleep.

Do a weather check first thing in the morning so I can adjust gear.

Pack geodog, water, hiking gear, lunch, sometimes dinner too...lol, spare clothing, cache and camera bag. Gas the van and off we go.

Note:

The number of caches and/or finds along a trek are not necessarily related to weather conditions and/or terrain.

Prepare for the trek you are making.

Down to the corner and back - GPSr Umbrella optional

Across town - GPSr and necessary bus fare OR tire pump, patch kit & spare inner tube OR means to pay for gas.

Short walk in the park - GPSr, small water bottle, light snack

Big walk on the levee - GPSr, large water bottle, energy bar, light jacket, spare batteries

Big hike in the hinterlands - GPSr, spare batteries, real hiking socks, spare hiking socks, TP, hydro pack with three litres of water, packed sandwich, energy bars, mobile phone, sweatshirt, jacket, first aid kit, hat, sunglasses, sun creen, more spare batteries, big hiking stick.

I have a bunch loaded into my Etrex Venture HC, and legend. But I also use a program on my HD2. If I don't have any for the area I am in, as long as I have signal on the phone, I can pull in those closest. I would use it for GC, but it seems to get within 36 feet and go stupid on me. So I just manually program the coords into one of the other GPSrs

For caching information I do the following:

Run a pocket query for the area I am going to cache in.

Export it to my Android phone & GPSr

head out the door.

For prepping for the trails I have a geo bag that I keep ready to go. It contains all I need: bug spray, first aid kit, extra batteries, geo-swag, sunblock, gloves, pens, and various other bits. If I am going out on remote trails I'll toss in a coupe bottles of water and some food (granola bars mainly). If I expect to do mostly drive by caches (i.e. no 1mile walks in the woods), I'll toss extra water in the car.

Howe do you prep for your Geocaching tips?, Steps you take before you hit the road.

I chill the beer.

That shows a lot of foresight!

If it is going to be a long hike, I will bring water or other supplies. If I bring the dog, I try to grab some Mutt Mitts. If I am going after more than a few known caches, I will load the appropriate gpx into my unit so that I can upload the field notes later. If I am taking the bike, I probably will put the carrier on the night before. If I am lucky, I will remember to bring a pen. But generally there is chilled beer in any event.

1st - do a pocket query for the area we plan to cache.

2nd download caches into gpsr's (dakota 20 & nuvi 550) got to love paperless caching.

3rd make sure we have water for us and the dog. (because we can't get out of the house without our German Short Hair).

4th grab the camera

5th in the summer make sure we have bug spray or wipes.

6th grab caching pouch with extra batteries, note pads, baggies and first aid kit.

7th depending on were we are going take gloves, extra socks and a spare pair of shoes to leave in the cachemobile. Nothing like having to drive home with soaked feet in the winter.

8th make sure we have some snack bars and food for the dog.

9th gas up and go

Im really new, but I think we have found a nice way to do it since my GPS doesnt hook to my computer yet.

I use the google map w/ all the geocaches to plan a trip. I go to the 10-logs page and print that out with the hint decrypted. That gives me all the info, the tip and the a bunch of logs for hints. I plan a trip the best I can, and print out the caches in order. And I always print out extra ones. I put those all in a folder that I keep in my geocaching back pack. My girlfriend keeps a really small log in a notebook. We log every find and DNF in that notebook. After we find one I throw away the paper print out since all the info is in our notebook.

That way we both have something to look at while searching. Its worked good so far. And I have the majority of the caches in a 10 mile radius of my house already printed out for me and ready incase we decide to go for a few.