Hiding the first cache

DStar22

Hi there! I'm relatively new to this game (3 months, 90ish finds), and I'm getting excited about hiding my first cache. Just looking for a little input from all you seasoned veterans and I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, how long does it generally take to get a cache approved? I submitted my first one about 3 days ago and have yet to have it reviewed. I was careful to include all relevant info, double checked my coordinates, and made sure to tick the "make cache active" box when I submitted it for review. I read somewhere that it can take up to 72 hours, but since it's been longer than that, I'm wondering if I missed a step?

Secondly, I'd just like to say that the types of caches I have enjoyed finding the most are traditional caches where the owner has put a lot of effort into a sneaky or clever hide, and these are the types of caches I am interested in placing. The type where the only real draw to the cache is the cache itself, and not necessarly its location. Should I make a point to draw attention to this fact in the description of my caches, or will it be generally understood by most people?

Thirdly (and finally!), I just want to say that I wish I'd discovered geocaching sooner! Pretty much the coolest activity every invented!

As a cacher of 85+ hides, I have done this once before, lol. It varies significantly on the review process because the publishers are volunteers. A few weeks back I submitted a new cache, and it took 4 days to get published. Yesterday morning, I submitted a cache, and it was published within 15-20 minutes, I was shocked, yet pleased.

Just make sure the "cache active" button is checked and you include a reviewer note that may answer any questions they may have. If it is a multi or puzzle, make sure you include the waypoints (only make them visible to everyone if you want) as that is something the Reviewer will ask about.

When you place a "sneaky", maybe raise the difficulty level a little bit. Ensure you honestly answer the "guide" questions, that should put you on base to what you should rate the cache at.

If you want to use "html" in your listings, this is the generic site I use as a reference... HTML Quick Reference

It surely is a wonderful and fun "Sport/Game" that we enjoy as well. Hope this information helps you.

The type where the only real draw to the cache is the cache itself, and not necessarly its location. Should I make a point to draw attention to this fact in the description of my caches, or will it be generally understood by most people?

It would be a good idea to mention this. A lot of geocachers do this to discover neat locations and those geocacher would certainly appreciate knowing that they should put your cache on their ignore list.

Edited by briansnat

Thanks to everyone who replied. After reading through several posts on these forums and listening to the opinions of a lot of veteran cachers, I was a little worried about whether or not my cache would be considered a positive contribution to the geocaching community. I have since edited my cache description and made it very clear what the idea behind the cache is, so there will be no disappointment!

I also set my home coordinates, which, as I understand, expediates the process of having a cache reviewed. And I definitely checked the "make this cache active" box.

I submitted my cache on Tuesday, and it is now Sunday, with no review and no publication... For everyone who has hid one before, I'm sure you understand the excitement and anticipation of having that first one get published. Is there anything I'm missing?? Thanks!

It sounds like you've done the right things... When you submitted it, did you get the automated email response which says something like, "Your cache has been received for review..." ?

The oft quoted target time for some sort of action (i.e. publication, or contact to the cache owner requesting further clarification) on a new cache submission is 72 hours. Often you'll hear something before that time period, other times things may take a bit longer, depending on how busy your local volunteer reviewer is with his cache queue and also, importantly, with his own "real life" considerations. I'm sure you'll hear something soon and understand your hopes of getting your first cache out into the wide world.

MrsB :laughing:

Hello,

This is all really useful to read as i am also new to this adventure! :laughing: have a few questions myself as am wanting to hide caches.

My question is that of location and where i place a cache-

I am bit confused on how to find my location and does anyone any good aps to for ipod 3g? There is a compass one but i don't know how accurate it is...and or is the ipod good enough to give an accurate reading to place a cache?

When finding caches there has been a couple of times when the ipod sent me 15 metres out, i would hate to place one then it's not right.

Any advice please would be really useful!

Thanks

Natalie

Is there anything I'm missing?? Thanks!

Keep an eye on your cache page logs, where the reviewer might put additional info. You should get an email, too. My caches got posted super quickly, which is a little scary -- I'm constantly changing the text. :laughing:

For Inyourbasket, get a couple of waymarks right at the spot where you'll place your container. Try from different directions, see which waypoint's consistently closest. Try again another time, see if it's still roughly in the margin of error from the spot. Or have a friend check using their GPSr. If it looks OK, go with it. And have a pretty good encrypted hint, just in case (at least for this first one). Publish and see if the finders comment about the coords.

Edited by kunarion

Hello,

This is all really useful to read as i am also new to this adventure! :laughing: have a few questions myself as am wanting to hide caches.

My question is that of location and where i place a cache-

I am bit confused on how to find my location and does anyone any good aps to for ipod 3g? There is a compass one but i don't know how accurate it is...and or is the ipod good enough to give an accurate reading to place a cache?

When finding caches there has been a couple of times when the ipod sent me 15 metres out, i would hate to place one then it's not right.

Any advice please would be really useful!

Thanks

Natalie

I can't give you any advice about the ipod 3g but before you try hiding your first cache make sure you read this section:

Hiding your first geocache.

MrsB

Here is my story. On my first cache I submitted everything perfectly as you did. I also had read it could take up to 72 hrs to be published. So I thought I had time. My cache was hid but not totally finished. It still needed the log book and another little detail to be complete. So I hit submit button. Within minutes I get email saying my cache is published. Meaning someone hoping to be FTF could actually be at my cache in minutes. I scurry and get my log book and stuff to cache which fortunatly is close. So make sure cache is 100% done when you apply. As for the other. You are just like me. I did put alot of effort in my cache. It is pretty clever and I have had many positive responses. You can view logs if you like. GC290ZM. Penn & Teller. I see your in Canada. So if you vacation in Vegas. Check out my cache.