How to view old caches?

There is an extremely well known landmark near me which I would be sure would be host to a geocache, but looking on the geocaching website it appears there is not! However doing a google search I've seen people saying that they've visited here to find a cache, so my suspicion is that there was a cache here, but no longer.

How can I call up the details of caches which were in a location but have now been removed? I'd either like to reinstate the old cache or place a new one of my own.

Edited by markhewitt1978

Giz some coords.... ;-)

At the risk of someone getting there before me. It's Penshaw Monument,

54.8831°N 1.48087°W

I suspect it *may* be the end point of a multi, however. But without doing that multi I don't think there's a way to tell? I assume I won't be able to put a traditional cache there if it is the final point of a multi?

Edited by markhewitt1978

At the risk of someone getting there before me. It's Penshaw Monument,

54.8831°N 1.48087°W...

... otherwise known as N54°52.986 W1° 28.852 in the usual geocaching cache page format.

... I suspect it *may* be the end point of a multi, however. But without doing that multi I don't think there's a way to tell? I assume I won't be able to put a traditional cache there if it is the final point of a multi?

Correct: you won't be able to place any new cache container within 528ft of any other physical cache.

You can find out if the final is there by doing the multi

OR

you can create a 'rough draft' cache page with the co-ordinates of where you would like to place your cache. Un-tick the little box which says, "Yes, this listing is active..." Then email the URL link (or just the GC number) of your created cache page to your friendly local reviewer and ask him/her if they could do a co-ordinate check for you. They'll do a proximity check for the spot and will let you know if there's a conflict with another cache placement.

I note that the area around the monument appears to be owned by the National Trust who are generally very supportive of geocaching - You'll need to ask their permission for the placement.

MrsB

you can create a 'rough draft' cache page with the co-ordinates of where you would like to place your cache. Un-tick the little box which says, "Yes, this listing is active..." Then email the URL link (or just the GC number) of your created cache page to your friendly local reviewer and ask him/her if they could do a co-ordinate check for you. They'll do a proximity check for the spot and will let you know if there's a conflict with another cache placement.

OK. How does one find a local and indeed, friendly, reviewer?

I note that the area around the monument appears to be owned by the National Trust who are generally very supportive of geocaching - You'll need to ask their permission for the placement.

Noted!

Go to any recently published cache in that area. Scroll back to the first log on the page which should have a dot in a rather nice shade of turquoise green beside it. It will have the reviewer's name and "Published" - Then you can just email that reviewer through their Profile link in the usual way.

MrsB ;)

Go to any recently published cache in that area. Scroll back to the first log on the page which should have a dot in a rather nice shade of turquoise green beside it. It will have the reviewer's name and "Published" - Then you can just email that reviewer through their Profile link in the usual way.

MrsB ;)

Smashing! I'll give it a go

Thanks to everyone for their help. The reviewer I found has replied to say that the is no other cache at the coordinates. So my next step will be to visit to find a good position for the cache, then contact the National Trust in Morpeth to obtain their permission.

National Trust guidelines say that permission will be given by letter, I assume the reviewer will wish to see (e.g.) a scan of this letter to ensure permission has been obtained?

Letter or email. If a letter and you have the ability scan it and add the text as a 'note to reviewer'. You could also take a photo of it (as good as you can), add a note to reviewer and upload the photo with the note. As long as the permission information is provided that should be fine.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Yup......there was one, and it was GC5A84 by Moss Trooper....the geezer wot got me into this pastime with his article in Computeractive magazine way back in Aug 2001! :(

Ah, wonderful, thanks for that. I'm assuming that since there was already a cache there then there is already permission in place? Or will I have to reapply myself?

I might see if I can put the cache back in the same place as it was.

Ah, wonderful, thanks for that. I'm assuming that since there was already a cache there then there is already permission in place? Or will I have to reapply myself?

I might see if I can put the cache back in the same place as it was.

I will be best to apply for permission yourself, and not mention that there was a cache there previously. It may have had permission, but it's best to assume that it didn't.

It would do us all a favour if you could also remove any remnants of the original cache while you're in the area!

I will be best to apply for permission yourself, and not mention that there was a cache there previously. It may have had permission, but it's best to assume that it didn't.

It would do us all a favour if you could also remove any remnants of the original cache while you're in the area!

ok, will do! At the very least now I've got the old coords it'll give me some idea of a good hiding place! On the other hand I do want it to be a "new" cache so if I do find the old one perhaps I'll put it somewhere different so those who found the previous one have a new challenge.

ok, will do!

If you DO find the remains of the old cache, don't forget to log a Find as well :lol:

Mark

Edited by Delta68

I think Moss would have already removed any remnants by now, but hey, what do I know? :anibad:

Possibly, although this suggests that something might remain.

Just so I'm clear on my options here. Is it a possibility for me to remove the remains of the old cache, replace it with a new one and then get the cache listing unarchived and take over 'ownership' of that cache, *and* thus not have to go through the renewed permissions process?

Just so I'm clear on my options here. Is it a possibility for me to remove the remains of the old cache, replace it with a new one and then get the cache listing unarchived and take over 'ownership' of that cache, *and* thus not have to go through the renewed permissions process?

No.

No.

Cool. Thanks. Good to have all the facts at hand. Back to Plan A :anibad:

I think Moss would have already removed any remnants by now, but hey, what do I know? :)

Possibly, although this suggests that something might remain.

Shows how much I know :)

Having said that, it was only 6 days after......he might have been and removed it by now. :)

From this, it looks like the old cache is still in place too. So a good chance for people to log two caches at the same spot! Great for the numbers...

Yep, although I haven't found it myself it's a reason why I put my cache in a new location, rather that just duplicating what had already been done. Although aside from the post in this thread I'm not sure how anyone would know about it.