proxy or fake geoicoins

jpanda97

i don't understand the PROXY or as i call them fake coins...???? why r people keeping them....thought they were surpose to MOVE ON????? can anyone help me with this....i have some what am i surpose to do with them now????? kepp them or move them one??? make fake one and move them on??? HELP?? so comnfused????.....

i don't understand the PROXY or as i call them fake coins...???? why r people keeping them....thought they were surpose to MOVE ON????? can anyone help me with this....i have some what am i surpose to do with them now????? kepp them or move them one??? make fake one and move them on??? HELP?? so comnfused????.....

Well, the reason is because geocoins tend to go missing on a pretty regular basis. You are 100% correct that they are supposed to move, but all too often they move right into somebody's pocket and never leave there.

That said, in my opinion if you aren't willing to take the risk of losing your coin, don't bother putting out a proxy. Just put nothing out. But that's just me.

PS: Your question mark key is sticking. You might want to get that keyboard checked out. :lol:

People make fake (or proxy) geocoins because the real ones are stolen pretty regularly.

They are supposed to be a way for people to log the coin without the the owner exposing the real coin to theft.

I personally think they are silly and don't log them. It's a piece of paper or cardboard, not a goecoin.

ok thnaks....so i guess i just need to decide it i want to keep coin and make a fake one to send it on its way.. thats seems dunb, but i guess thats what ppl r doing?? my ? key doesn't stick i'm just really confused?? but thanks everyone for your help

ok thnaks....so i guess i just need to decide it i want to keep coin and make a fake one to send it on its way.. thats seems dunb, but i guess thats what ppl r doing?? my ? key doesn't stick i'm just really confused?? but thanks everyone for your help

Actually, I'm finding fewer and fewer of the proxy "coins" these days. Hopefully it was just a passing phase. Of course, I'm also finding fewer of the real coins as well, so who knows?

I was just teasing you about your use of all those "?????" in your original post, just as I am now teasing you when I say that it now appears that your entire keyboad, including your capslock key, is messed up. :lol:

Proxy are sent out by the owner of the coin. It should say so on the travel bug page. If you find a active traveling coin, it is meant to travel. If you replace someone else coin with a proxy it is still steeling the coin.

Proxy are sent out by the owner of the coin. It should say so on the travel bug page. If you find a active traveling coin, it is meant to travel. If you replace someone else coin with a proxy it is still steeling the coin.

Good point!! I assumed that the OP was referring to their own coin, but upon re-reading, I'm not so sure.

I once saw a very good proxy. So good it took close inspection to figure out that it was one. The owner took a high resolution photo of both sides of the coin, printed it semi glossly photo paper. Cut the photos out and glued them to a metal washer that was the same size as the coin. This was encased on one of those round, hard plastic coin holders.

At first and even second glance it looked and felt like the real thing.

Edited by briansnat

People make fake (or proxy) geocoins because the real ones are stolen pretty regularly.

They are supposed to be a way for people to log the coin without the the owner exposing the real coin to theft.

I personally think they are silly and don't log them. It's a piece of paper or cardboard, not a goecoin.

I guess I'm not real clear why you'd feel differently about a proxy as opposed to the "real" coin. It's still a traveler and we aren't keeping them anyway. All we're doing is enjoying it for the short time we have it and then helping it move along. The fun is seeing where it goes, as I know you well know. A proxy coin is really no different than any other TB in that respect. As you said, though, it's your opinion and you are more than welcome to play this game in any way that feels best for you.

I guess I'm not real clear why you'd feel differently about a proxy as opposed to the "real" coin. It's still a traveler and we aren't keeping them anyway. All we're doing is enjoying it for the short time we have it and then helping it move along. The fun is seeing where it goes, as I know you well know. A proxy coin is really no different than any other TB in that respect. As you said, though, it's your opinion and you are more than welcome to play this game in any way that feels best for you.

If it were under the category of trackable paper item - No problem - or if it had an actual TB tag - but don't try and call it a Geocoin - wasted print on paper in my book. Worthy of being trashed.

yea i don't mind getting to proxy, but i'm wondering should i be making a proxy for all the geocoins i find?? i want some nice coins tooo to keep..just was wondering

Do not keep any of the coins or TBs you find. They are meant to travel. If you want to make a copy for yourself, for an album of finds for instance, no problem. But do not keep the original and absolutely do not send out the copy.

yea i don't mind getting to proxy, but i'm wondering should i be making a proxy for all the geocoins i find?? i want some nice coins tooo to keep..just was wondering

Do not keep any of the coins or TBs you find. They are meant to travel. If you want to make a copy for yourself, for an album of finds for instance, no problem. But do not keep the original and absolutely do not send out the copy.

I agree. The coins are for traveling not for keeping.

I agree. The coins are for traveling not for keeping.

I will take that a step further. Keeping a coin is theft. Sometime accidental theft, sometimes deliberate theft, certainly petty, but keeping a geocoin is theft.

I have no geocoins "out in the wild" but have a small collection that I take to events to add mileage and for other cachers to "discover".

I also carry a coin with me in my caching bag so any cachers I meet on the trail can log it as discovered.

I know a few people who do this, it's a way of getting your geocoins to travel and be logged without the risk of them getting lost or stolen.

Proxies exist because a lot of people don't understand that coins are supposed to travel and not something you keep. A lot of people try geocaching out without really understanding anything. They may think the coins are treasure and keep them.

I have 6 coins that I take around to events and show to muggles when explaining the game, but I would also like them to travel. A proxy (and not just a piece of paper but something that at least looks like the real coin, I'm thinking of using some of my old POGS) would be great for traveling because you can make another if it goes missing. I almost wish the coin would come with a plastic proxy for traveling (just like you have 2 TB tags).

I know a lot of people don't like them. That's okay as long as you don't destroy them.

I have 6 coins that I take around to events and show to muggles when explaining the game, but I would also like them to travel. A proxy (and not just a piece of paper but something that at least looks like the real coin, I'm thinking of using some of my old POGS) would be great for traveling because you can make another if it goes missing. I almost wish the coin would come with a plastic proxy for traveling (just like you have 2 TB tags).

But... but... but... if you are using a proxy, then your coin is NOT travelling. Only the proxy is. Isn't that a bit self-deceptive? Reminds me of setting the alarm clock ahead so you don't oversleep. :grin: Edited by knowschad

I know a lot of people don't like them. That's okay as long as you don't destroy them.

Destroy what??? The ones I've seen are no more than a photocopy glued to some flimsy cadrboard. Hardly a Geocoin and looking a lot like the other crumpled bits of paper in the cache. I marked it missing because I found no 'coin'.

But... but... but... if you are using a proxy, then your coin is NOT travelling. Only the proxy is. Isn't that a bit self-deceptive? Reminds me of setting the alarm clock ahead so you don't oversleep. :grin:

..or electing someone to Washington to make laws and stuff for us :lol: We use proxies all the time for all sorts of things. Why not for a particularly attractive geocoin (they're not real coins btw) that we don't want to lose? If you don't like them, don't take them. But I think it's a little unfair to say they're worthless. They aren't to the owner.

But... but... but... if you are using a proxy, then your coin is NOT travelling. Only the proxy is. Isn't that a bit self-deceptive? Reminds me of setting the alarm clock ahead so you don't oversleep. :o

..or electing someone to Washington to make laws and stuff for us :) We use proxies all the time for all sorts of things. Why not for a particularly attractive geocoin (they're not real coins btw) that we don't want to lose? If you don't like them, don't take them. But I think it's a little unfair to say they're worthless. They aren't to the owner.

I never said they were worthless. That was the other guy.

By the way, I'm off for the Bahamas next month. Would you like me to go for you, too? :o

Ok I am very new as a matter of fact I have not been out yet, I am waiting for the delivery of my GPS. I am trying to learn as much as I can before I do go after my first cache. This is my question if Geocoins are not ment to be kept than how do you get them to collect?

Ok I am very new as a matter of fact I have not been out yet, I am waiting for the delivery of my GPS. I am trying to learn as much as I can before I do go after my first cache. This is my question if Geocoins are not ment to be kept than how do you get them to collect?

You'll find lots of information about geocoins, and people who are selling their geocoins, over on the Geocoin Discussion forum.

The Groundspeak Shop sells them, as do many of their distributors.

You can also find a wide range for sale on Ebay.

MrsB