Opinon wanted on full/wet logs...

Byn234

Okay... Say I come across a cache that the log is full on... I have spares with me, so I drop a new one in and if the cache has enough room I leave the old one there- but what if it's a micro/nano, and you can't squeeze any more paper in there than the already full log? Do you replace it anyhow, taking the old one with you, or do you just shake your head in frustration and log it as a NM or "Found but couldn't sign because of full log"?

Same basic question on wet logs- what should you do with the wet one? Leave it in there to moulder and mildew, or take it out with you?

(I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered before, I tried a search but didn't find an answer)

I carry a small cheap notebook in my caching bag for these situations.

If the logbook is full and there is room I can tear out one sheet from my spare notebook and use it as a temporary logsheet, or leave the whole notebook. They only cost me 23p in my local superstore.

If the log is slightly damp I'll try to sign it and inform the cache owner.

If it's so wet it's mouldy or falling to bits then you can either remove it, dry the cache and place a dry logbook/sheet in there, then take the wet logbook and see if the cache owner wants it dried out and posted to them. Or just post a "Needs Maintenance" note with your found it log.

Whatever I do, if the cache still needs attention once I've signed it (to replace the full log or dry the cache) then I'll mention it in a Needs Maintenance" log online.

Most likely, a cache that has a wet, soggy log now will have a wet, soggy log later

Yes. I sometimes bring a waterproof "emergency log" for these. It's a single sheet of waterproof paper, computer-printed, and folded in 1/4 like a little book. Then I do the "Found It", and a separate "NM" log. A waterproof log can still get gross and moldy in there. But you can always sign it. :lol:

Most of the containers that I find, which have soaking wet logs, have no maintenance. They've been basically abandoned, but previous logs only mention the water all the time. So an emergency log should avoid cacher frustration while we wait for the "archived" to happen.

I would be upset if someone took the log from my cache. I would prefer you just leave a needs maintenance note and let me deal with it. If the log is wet, you can hold it infront of your cars air conditioner for a minute to dry. Or add a temp log, thats fine. Log it as a find, but don't take the log.

Just my $.02.

What I've done if the logbook was full was find place for my sig (there is always a spot) then logged a NM. With wet logs I've left my sig on a slip of paper, left a business card and in one case where I had no paper and the log was a sodden mass of pulp I simply photographed the cache and log and included it in my online log. In each case I followed it with a NM

If it were my cache I'd rather you log a NM and let me take care of it. Others may appreciate someone adding a log. Whatever you do, don't take the logbook unless the owner has given you permission.

If you see ahead of time that the logbook is full or wet, shoot the owner an e-mail and offer to replace it.

Edited by briansnat