New hide question

gtq838

Hi I want to place a cache... this cache itself would actually be a traditional but I want to make in order to log it a video of iss passing over head at the cache location be required. not sure what to do here or if it violates rules. I have done several traditional caches that require a picture to log but I don't know if this is against rules or if it should be called a mystery cache.

advaice appreciated.

It is an ALR (alternate logging requirement) and they are no allowed. There are still a few of these caches out there from before the rules were changed to ban them. If you log one without fulfilling the requirement the owner is not allowed to delete your log. If they do you can contact Groundspeak to have it reinstated. If it is that important to you that is.

It is an ALR (alternate logging requirement) and they are no allowed. There are still a few of these caches out there from before the rules were changed to ban them. If you log one without fulfilling the requirement the owner is not allowed to delete your log. If they do you can contact Groundspeak to have it reinstated. If it is that important to you that is.

ALR are allowed as long as you list it as a mystery cache or have they changed that now too?

Hi I want to place a cache... this cache itself would actually be a traditional but I want to make in order to log it a video of iss passing over head at the cache location be required. not sure what to do here or if it violates rules. I have done several traditional caches that require a picture to log but I don't know if this is against rules or if it should be called a mystery cache.

advaice appreciated.

Ignoring the ALR requirements for a minute...

You want people to take video of the space station for this cache? How difficult is that? I assume there is only a small window of time at night when it can be seen, and any video would become a blurry mess of stars.

It is an additional logging requirement and is not allowed. You can suggest that finders do it, but you can not make it requirement in order to log a find.

what if I were to make it so that the cache could not be opened without being at the location at the correct time. Its not that important to me I just thought It would be a cool experience for geocachers. I have taped iss and various satellites passing by on several occations no problem. with the wonders of the internet you can perdict the flyby within about 30 seconds.

how about this... I post a cipher that will most likely not be broken and you get a hint if meeting one of my requirements. the cipher itself would lead to a final but maybe I could bargain with the cachers to complete a set task in exchange for a hint?

hmm. I don't know. I'm just brain storming right now I'm trying to make a very unique experience that cachers could talk about and how cool would it to be able to watch videos of other completing the same cache.

What if I were to make it so that the cache could not be opened without being at the location at the correct time.

That sounds like it would be a pretty cool puzzle cache. You could make figuring out the time part of the puzzle.

I post a cipher that will most likely not be broken and you get a hint if meeting one of my requirements. the cipher itself would lead to a final but maybe I could bargain with the cachers to complete a set task in exchange for a hint?

I would see that as violating the intent of the ALR ban. Your local reviewer may or may not agree. I would ask him in advance.

which would be easy to do but there is very little pattern to know pattern on pass times. I have thought about programming the box to have a lock on it that unlocks at set times maybe I could plug in all perdicted sightings for the area the nex three years or something... but to make a cipher that required a time key I would not know how to encode being that so a many possibilities exist and they rapidly become expired.

The whole idea of this cache is to educate about how gps really works, the quantum physics and special relativity envolved and the space command that makes it all possible... I have two cipher caches and they have been solved but only by a total of two people combined even with a rather large number of hints. I wanted to instead make one that was hard but educational and didn't require any crypto knowledge to solve... so how do I make a park and grab that requires people to go out and watch the amazing space station flyby and maybe watch a couple youtube links... if posting yourtube links is even legal... never heard otherwise but I guess I should bring that up too.

maybe I could hide it really good a hundred feet from location then set my computer to call a cell phone inside the cache at certian times, there by guiding the cachers to its location by way of ring tone... IDK

The whole idea of this cache is to educate about how gps really works, the quantum physics and special relativity envolved and the space command that makes it all possible.

You could accomplish all this with a well typed traditional.

Maybe include a link showing when the ISS would be visible from your chosen location?

Include a suggestion that folks hunt it during those time frames?

Ask those who do to shoot some video, if they are so equipped?

Sometimes simpler is better. :laughing:

The whole idea of this cache is to educate about how gps really works, the quantum physics and special relativity envolved and the space command that makes it all possible.

You could accomplish all this with a well typed traditional.

Maybe include a link showing when the ISS would be visible from your chosen location?

Include a suggestion that folks hunt it during those time frames?

Ask those who do to shoot some video, if they are so equipped?

Sometimes simpler is better. :laughing:

I suppose you are right... I just don't care much for pngs... I like caches that take time and effort to acheive...

I suppose you are right... I just don't care much for pngs

Neither do I. I avoid them like the plague. However, it seems you should be able to find a spot which is not a PnG, where the ISS can be viewed. Heck, I'd look for such a spot even if I made this a convoluted puzzle. The night sky is so much more alive when viewed from a few miles away from civilization.

I suppose you are right... I just don't care much for pngs

Neither do I. I avoid them like the plague. However, it seems you should be able to find a spot which is not a PnG, where the ISS can be viewed. Heck, I'd look for such a spot even if I made this a convoluted puzzle. The night sky is so much more alive when viewed from a few miles away from civilization.

yeah, I had planned on that much... but if you actually want to see it the city is fine... its pretty bright and easy to see as it mores way faster than a plane... takes only maye 15-30 seconds to cross the night ski.

Just make it a traditional cache and add to the cache page that the ISS can be spotted if you are there at such and such a time. If they are interested, they will go at those times. If not, they'll get it when they're in the neighborhood. Don't try to force-educate people... it won't work.

I honestly don't believe you would build a time-locked cache, pre-programmed for the next three years to only open when the ISS was going by... even if you have the necessary technical skills, it would be expensive, time-consuming, error and muggle prone, delicate, and probably stealable.