Sprinkler heads

Hey there.

My son and I are looking at placing a sprinkler head cache in a small park in our neighborhood. There is one....just one real sprinkler in the park. And we felt that is we placed ours at the opposite end of the park near a 'pick up your dog mess' sign.' we could accurately relay to people how to get the cache. Also the use of the hint would help. AND we have even thought about somehow making the sprinkler head have a geocaching logo on it or on the lid somehow.

So do you think we should shy away from this idea...?

We are sick of finding magnetic nanos in our journeys. They are often poorly placed where a bigger cache could easily go and many times they take you to a place that just isnt interesting and sometimes scary. So we are trying to be creative AND make something WORTH figuring out.

Input appreciated. Thanks.

There is that pesky no bury rule again... ;-)

That pesky first GPS Stash cache placed should have never been allowed!! Funny how the cache that started it all would have people complaining it is against the rules. Good thing you all weren't involved back then.

Note to all: this old thread was "bumped" recently. Consider the date of prior posts before responding to them.

Note to kayamycat: Your Reviewer should not knowingly publish a sprinkler cache that is set into the ground, under the listing guidelines concerning "buried caches." I recommend finding a different "creative cache" that is guidelines-compliant.

So do you think we should shy away from this idea...?
Yes.

The problems with sprinkler head caches are not just violations of the "no digging" guideline. And FWIW, most of the sprinkler head caches I've found managed to avoid violating the "no digging" guideline.

The bigger problems with sprinkler head caches have to do with training geocachers to dismantle sprinkler heads and other objects that are not geocaches. And even if your sprinkler head cache is nowhere near any real sprinkler heads, geocachers who find your sprinkler head cache may be more likely to dismantle real sprinkler heads in the future, while searching for other geocaches.

Personally, I like to have the geocache in hand (and not attached to anything else) before I start opening anything.

That pesky first GPS Stash cache placed should have never been allowed!! Funny how the cache that started it all would have people complaining it is against the rules. Good thing you all weren't involved back then.

Thanks for posting that video link, Team DEMP. It'd be interesting to me to meet the guy who started it all back then.

Sprinkler heads are hard for me to imagine as a violation if there isn't a line of them surrounding landscaping. And, especially if coords are spot on and you do as you said you were thinking-- label it somehow so it's distinguishable. I'm sure my input doesn't matter so take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks for posting that video link, Team DEMP. It'd be interesting to me to meet the guy who started it all back then.

Sprinkler heads are hard for me to imagine as a violation if there isn't a line of them surrounding landscaping. And, especially if coords are spot on and you do as you said you were thinking-- label it somehow so it's distinguishable. I'm sure my input doesn't matter so take it with a grain of salt.

You do realize that was three "ifs" to attempt to make a poor cache choice dunce-proof, and sorta okay. :)

So for anyone who has disassembled a real sprinkler head and damaged it, or yanked on one until it broke away from its irrigation plumbing (and several people here have said they have), did you own up to it? Did you go inside and admit to the damage and offer to replace it? Or did you just 'beat feet', as they say, and get the hell outta Dodge?

Another reason why they're not acceptable in my book. Setting one up is inviting damage to a muggle's property. That's just not fair.

You do realize that was three "ifs" to attempt to make a poor cache choice dunce-proof, and sorta okay. :)

Yeah, not a long list but I understand what you're saying. The thing is, atleast with the ones I've found, the hide-a-key sprinkler heads look very different from a real one. Also, I can't remember any of them having wet logs so they don't seem all that bad to me. But, the comparison is a cardboard box propped up against a tree at it's base. :lol:

Though that one started it all it was practically what started the NO BURY rule along with others like Beaver. But they show how that if every one was allowed to bury a cache there would be hole dug everywhere. The old ones are grandfathers but they just give an example on what not to.

Though that one started it all it was practically what started the NO BURY rule along with others like Beaver. But they show how that if every one was allowed to bury a cache there would be hole dug everywhere. The old ones are grandfathers but they just give an example on what not to.

This got me to thinking...I live over a Christmas tree farm and have watched them plant thousands of seedlings. I can just imagine that if they waived the "no bury" rule, we'd see some COs out in the wilderness with their seedling shovel just planting away...

imagine a PT with plastic pill bottles! :blink: