How does a cache placer decide the SIZE of the cache

I'm sure there are guidelines somewhere. Because I have kids who want the chance of finding a "treasure" to trade, we try to take them to "small" and above. I've seen many SMALLS where you can put small trinkets. I built a pocket Query for small and up, and keep getting what I always consider a micro. Pill bottles, and old M&M tubes seem like micro's to me. Am I wrong on that?

I consider most pill bottle and such as micros too - but I see them listed as small. Not sure where that is coming from.

The official definitions from the guidelines are:

* Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet)

* Small (sandwich-sized plastic container or similar – less than approximately 1 quart or 1 L – holds trade items as well as a logbook)

* Regular (plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox)

* Large (5 gallon/20 L bucket or larger)

unfortunately the guidelines are somewhat ambiguous about the "size" option. it makes more sense if you think about it as "container type", but the guidelines don't say that, so people don't do that.

some containers are definitely "small", while others are definitely "micro". in between there's no sharp line and confusion ensues. my personal "favorite" is the larger pill-bottle type (i.e. aspirin bottles), which, going by size alone, would be a "small", but has such a small opening that you can barely fit the log in there. stupid.

The cache submission form categorizes them thusly:

• Micro (eg: 35mm Film Canister)
  • Small (holds logbook and small items)
  • Regular (Rubbermaind, ammo box)
  • Large (5 gallon bucket)
  • Other (See description)

The bottom line, though, is that container size, as well as difficulty and terrain, are decided by the individual hiders and they all vary considerably. Use them as a guide, not as an absolute, and you will be OK.

So when, if ever, is GC going to recognize the existence of:

* Nanos (A dozen of these fit inside of a Micro, each with only a strip of 1/8 in wide logpaper)

* XLarge (A 55 gallon oil barrel full of McD and BK toys and miscellaneous candy wrappers, used and worthless lotto cards and anything else of no value)

* Automobile (You should see the GC crap in it to understand)

Edited by Fledermaus

So when, if ever, is GC going to recognize the existence of:

* Nanos (A dozen of these fit inside of a Micro, each with only a strip of 1/8 in wide logpaper)

* XLarge (A 55 gallon oil barrel full of McD and BK toys and miscellaneous candy wrappers, used and worthless lotto cards and anything else of no value)

* Automobile (You should see the GC crap in it to understand)

Probably Never as the existing definitions cover each of them very well.

Technically, a micro only holds a log and maybe a pen/pencil. A small is big enough to hold some trade items.

However, not all cachers closely read or follow the guidelines. I'm not sure if the Reviewers check the description vs the size to check for errors? (ex: description says "you are looking for a film canister" but the size is set to small).

I think some cachers find things like bison tubes then incorrectly assume anything wider than a bison tube is small. Or they intentionally list a micro as a small because they known some people will avoid looking for micros and they want people to look for their cache anyway.

It may help to know that historically, there were regular and micro (and virtual). Large was added next. It was a LONG time before the size in between regular and micro existed. IIRC, people wanted something to indicate that the cache was not a regular-sized cache, but most micros couldn't hold trinkets. Smalls were smaller than regular, but large enough to hold trade items. The first cache I found labeled "small" was in this type of container:

decon-container-cache-decontamination%20kit%20cache%20ws-medium-350x262.jpg

Seemed to fit the bill correctly.

I think there has been some drift toward what had been micros moving to smalls and the tinier containers moving to micros. Of course, now many people want a further distinction of micros vs. nano.

While not the official definitions, this is how I've labeled my caches, and the majority of those that I have found in my in my area match:

Regular - About lunch box size - maybe the plastic lock-and-lock containers (2cup/0.5 liter) size at the smallest. Upper limit would be 50 caliber ammo cans (this page shows the 30 caliber and the 50 caliber).

Large - anything larger than the 50 caliber ammo can.

Micro - usually just room for a log book. Typical example: 35mm film canister. That's about the upper limit of a micro. Anything smaller than that is still a micro.

Small - between Micro and Regular - small decon size. Can still hold smaller trinkets and smaller travels bugs, but not quite big enough to be "regular" - this is the harder one for me to define.

Not Listed - the tendency is for people to think "Nano" is not on the list, so nanos must be "Not Listed". In reality, the "Not Listed" was used for caches where the owner didn't want the size to be known ahead of time.

Other - see "Not Listed" - basically the same in my book.

I'm sure there are guidelines somewhere. Because I have kids who want the chance of finding a "treasure" to trade, we try to take them to "small" and above. I've seen many SMALLS where you can put small trinkets. I built a pocket Query for small and up, and keep getting what I always consider a micro. Pill bottles, and old M&M tubes seem like micro's to me. Am I wrong on that?

You are right on that.

Say something in the online log about the size being a micro, not a small. A CO changed the size after my online log comment. It's worth a shot, and it let's others know that the cache is actually a micro. And it lets the CO know that some cachers get irked if the size is listed wrong.

You are right on that.

Say something in the online log about the size being a micro, not a small. A CO changed the size after my online log comment. It's worth a shot, and it let's others know that the cache is actually a micro. And it lets the CO know that some cachers get irked if the size is listed wrong.

I wish at least 1 of the locals around here would respond that way. Several micros listed as small - several mentions in the online logs and no action.

I was going to answer this but it was answered many times already LoL.

Just don't hid a micro unless its something special. Special meaning like something creative. Not just a pill bottle under a lamp post. Try to do something different.

Here is a good example of a creative cache. I recently found a really cool cache. It was a small, but if ya did the same thing with micro it still would be special.

It was off a trail. There was a tree with some wood pecker holes in it. There was one dead limb that stood out. When you pulled on it, it came out with a part of the tree, which was actually plaster I think, made to look like bark. It filled the hole and looked like the tree. Connected to that was a small water tight container.

Now that was cool. If that was a micro I would still be just as cool.

If you can hide it in the open, and no one can see it, then its a micro worth being hidden.

Here is a list of boring cache types. IMO any way....

LPH's

Anything on a guard rail.

Almost any 35mm canisters, unless its in some kind of tricky camo. Cast into a rock is cool.

Just about any micro in the woods. There are some exceptions. I have seen only a few.

I am sure some people like those kinds, but I am sure most people would like to find something fun.

Lots of good answers.

I like to point out it is also the inside volume that one must consider. I've seen a few containers that are regular on the outside but a small on the inside.

Another thing small says hold small items. Notice item is plural. A lot of micros now may be able to hold a pencil or marble or coin but not all of those at once.

You can mention that you think that the cache should be listed as a micro (maybe say I was searching for al arger container and was surprised to find a micro). Just try not to be too firm and realize that some people may take offense to criticism.

I always try to underrate my sizes when I'm in doubt. Final thought: After having a cache stolen I replaced it with a bison. I changed the rating and the description but forgot to change the size.

To quote the Geocaching Guidelines:

Cache Sizes

These sizes apply to all caches that have a physical container.

* Micro (35 mm film canister or smaller – less than approximately 3 ounces or .1 L – typically containing only a logbook or a logsheet)

* Small (sandwich-sized plastic container or similar – less than approximately 1 quart or 1 L – holds trade items as well as a logbook)

* Regular (plastic container or ammo can about the size of a shoebox)

* Large (5 gallon/20 L bucket or larger)